Organising music with iTunes

Reaction score
How do you all organize your music?

Do you just copy your music files in to a file hire achy or do you set iTunes to import all the music in to its own library, then just back this up instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I used to organize it manually, but then I decided to let iTunes organize it for me and I've gotta say, it's better than what I was doing. And to backup my music I just backup the entire iTunes music folder, so when I have to reload, I get to keep all of my playlists and play counts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yeah. Me too. I let iTunes organise my folders and such for me. For backing up make sure you backup the iTunes database as well. In fact, just make the backup exactly like it is in the music folder. So you can just drag it back there and all is done. I would hate to have to rate my files again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Considering that my Music and Video is spread across 9 drives I manage it manually. My iTunes organization is a mirror of my hard drive organization.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I let itunes do it - I just have to keep my tags consistent to make sure I get no duplicate folders

The album artist tag also comes in handy when an album has band feat. someone else artist tags

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can someone explain the Album Artist tag? How do I manage that with the feat. thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OIf you have an alum with band feat. someone else then you will get multiple artist folders, like band and band feat. someone else plus maybe band feat. someone else 2

The album artist tag will force all those songs in to a single band folder while keeping the band feat. someone else info in the artist tag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I just drag into iTunes, and find any missing album art off wikipedia.

It's nice and neat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^^ Can't you get an iTunes account somehow? Album artwork is free that way. Just a right click away...

jah

Reaction score
Considering that my Music and Video is spread across 9 drives I manage it manually.

i use media monkey over several network servers and hard drives. one of the applications requiring parallels.

when using a data base itunes or media monkey you are depending on the tags embedded in the music files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook / 2Ghz/ 2Gb RAM / 80G HD / superdrive
I've got three drives that I copy from. I organize my music manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.