PS3/ HDMI Issues Walkthrough Needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Ok, so I think I figured out why my PS3 and HDTV don't like each other right now. Whenever one changes the video settings on the PS3, the video settings default to 480i, right? The HDMI ports on my Samsung LN-T3253H only support 480p or higher.
I tried all last night with the settings so I could try and configure the HDMI resolution without seeing it. I reset the video settings and used my component connection.
Here's what I do:
I go to Settings in the XMD bar> Scroll down to Display Settings> Hit X> Video Output Settings> Hit X> Scroll Up to HDMI> Hit X to change/ test settings.
This is when the screen goes black. I switch to the HDMI source on my TV and it's still black. I assume what is shown is the "Do you want to continue" with these settings screen where you hit Left once and hit X to continue. From there is has the resolution settings 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p that you check to see if the HDTV can recognize. I don't really know though.
Anyways, I am looking for someone who uses the HDMI connection on their PS3 to reset their settings and give me a walk though step by step with all the button controls so I can configure my PS3 without the display working temporarily working.
Starting after I hit X to test the video settings, what's next?

Thanks in advance for your help. I've spend so many hours trying to get this to work. Component looks great but I'd like to see what it'd look like using HDMI. I'm currently using both component inputs on my TV and have two HDMI inputs free. I'd like to keep one of each open in case.

HDTV- Samsung LN-T3253H 32" 720p LCD
PS3 20GB models

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'd love to help, but i only have to worry about my three old-school RCA plugs in the back of my flat tube toshiba. ;)

but at least i don't need an RF converter with the slide switch hanging off two screws on the back of my set 2600 style! ;P

03fb_2.JPG

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How dare you use a PS3 in standard definition eric. haha, I think I found my old RF adapter for my N64.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only two options at the point where you're getting the black screen -

Automatic
Custom

Automatic is highlighted on mine - just try hitting 'X' here

See if that doesn't give you a picture on the HDMI input.
Make sure you have selected the correct HDMI input on your TV, am assuming it has more than 1.
That next screen on mine shows the Maximum Resolution and Do you want to keep this setting?
If the PS3 and TV are talking to one another you should be good to go.

If not, let me know and we can walk thru the Custom setting.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
So, what do you guys think, just got a $500 bonus from work this week.
Think I should get another PS3 for the LR so we can watch Blu-Ray movies in there? Just can't bring myself to buy any other Blu-Ray machine knowing they'll be outdated once firmware version 2 is out.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you could just buy 10 or so games. ;)

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$500 to spend?? With the 40GB you still get the five movies?
I think I've seen standalone players for $400. See if they have any display models or open box at the local Best Buy for $250-$300. Last time I was there they had a whole stack of Samsung Blu-ray players that were display models.

Bobtomay-
Yes, I am using the right HDMI source. My TV will only switch to input sources when a device is connected. It completely skips over the composite connections and 3rd HDMI port because nothing is connected.
Ok, so go to HDMI hit X. It brings up the "Do you want to change/ test things settings. I hit X and TV goes blank. I switch to HDMI and nothing.
Would the screen after I hit X to test bring me to do you want to continue with these setttings Yes or No? or does it bring me to the Automatic and Custom settings you described?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you select HDMI, the next screen is as described above:

Automatic
Custom

Automatic is highlighted - Just hit 'X' again and see what happens

On mine the screen goes blank for a few seconds while the devices are communicating with each other - then pops up informing me of the highest resolution the TV will accept, asking if I would like to keep that setting.

If you are still not getting a picture - next thing I would do is disconnect the HDMI cable at both ends (the TV and the PS3) and plug it back in just to verify connection is good. Then I would try a different known working HDMI port on the TV.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you select HDMI, the next screen is as described above:

Automatic
Custom

Automatic is highlighted - Just hit 'X' again and see what happens

I did, nothing happens. If I do nothing, it will bring me back to the component settings.
Curious though, did you reset your settings? I ask thing for the following reason:
I noticed if I had had my component settings already set at 720p, the screen after I choose the component connection lays out all of the different resolutions. If I reset my video settings by holding down the power button at startup till it beeps a second time, it defaults to 480i and when I go to choose component again, I have to test the settings and then it brings up the Y/N screen before the resolution screen.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah after 30 seconds it auto takes you back to your previous settings.

I only have HDMI connected.

On a reset - I get a screen saying:
An available HDMI device was detected.
Do you want to output video and audio using HDMI?

If you don't get the above, particularly when only the HDMI cables are connected, it sounds to me as if the Samsung and the PS3 are not talking to each other. The TV should be telling the PS3 what resolutions it accepts. Could be the cable or either one of the ports. And it could just be cheap setup of the HDMI by Samsung.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get that notice too if I power on my PS3 with the HDMI cable connected. If I choose it, the screen goes black.
I have to go through the display setting so I can get it to switch to 480p or 720p.
It can't be an HTCP issue because the TV is 6 months old. It has to be the 480i default settings. The HDMI cable worked on my upconvert DVD player. The HDMI ports work when I have the Mac connected.
Oh well I guess.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's take it from that point after a reset.

So from what you're saying you can see the screen asking about using HDMI and you've selected yes.

Where you now see a black screen it says:

Do you want to automatically switch to the optimal settings?......

Hit the 'Left' arrow one time.
Then hit 'X'.

This should take you to a screen with the Maximum Resolution allowed by the TV - you should be able to see the screen at this point.

If this doesn't work, we can try going through the Custom settings instead of the Automatic settings.
Have to leave the house for awhile though - should be back in a couple of hours.
Also, try the above, after a reset, without the component cables attached, ya never know what might work.
And if you haven't done it yet, unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in at both ends - have seen this work just too many times.

FYI: I let mine sit for too long - the setting did not go back to 480i, but to 480p.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, from your silence, I guess that didn't work either ...

Sorry bry.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I was at Ikea this afternoon and forgot to try. From the sound of it, it sounds like what I tried already.
What's the custom setting?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The custom setting is going to be a tough walk thru in the blind.

When you choose Custom instead of Automatic, it takes you to a screen listing the available options:
480p, 720p, 1080i, & 1080p
Each with it's own check box
My system has 3 of those checked automatically - all but the 1080p since I currently have it connected to a 720p TV that doesn't accept 1080p inputs.

Since you'd be in the dark there, we wouldn't have a clue as to which are already checked and which are not.

Personally, at the point you're at right now, and you've verified all the HDMI ports work on the TV, I would say it must be the PS3 port. Think I would try the PS3 on another TV or be calling Sony if you're still under warranty on the PS3.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I get (button wise) from the beginning HDMI screen (startup w/ HDMI cable inserted) to the custom screen?
When it gets to the list of resolutions do I hit right arrow to test?
I assume mine will look the same. I've tried 1080i on my TV and it worked and it's a 720p TV so it should look the same.
This is my second PS3. My first was an 80GB I got off Craigslist so no receipt and traded for a 20GB so no warranty. HDMI didn't work either. It'd also recognize the cable but the screen was black.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, if you have now had 2 different PS3's that will not display a picture on the HDMI port, I would have to change my mind and think there is an issue with the TV's port.

I did find a user review earlier today, that complained their HDMI died on this TV.

If you still have an available cable to plug any other device into the TV using HDMI, I would try that next to make sure it is still working.

On your PS3;
When you select HDMI, the next screen is:

Automatic
Custom

Automatic is highlighted - so you would scroll down one and hit x to select Custom.

The custom screen looks like this:

480p
720p
1080i
1080p

It has a box to the left side of each one - the ones that your TV has told the PS3 it would accept should already have a check mark in them.

On mine, when I go to that screen the cursor is sitting on the 1080i box.
Who knows where yours will be or what may already be checked. You can however, hit the down button 3 or 4 times and it will then be sitting on the 1080p box. Once the cursor is there, it stays there even when you continue to hit the down button. So you'll at least know where the cursor is.

You check or uncheck the resolutions by hitting the 'X' button. It does not move when you do this, it stays in the same location. So, continuously hitting X here, just continually either places a check or removes the check in the same box.

From this screen, when you have checked/unchecked the settings you want - you then hit the right arrow to go to the next screen.

This next screen is just a confimation list showing the changes you have just made and you will now press the x button to save settings. If it works you'll have picture, if not, says it will go back to previous settings in 30 seconds

This next screen is the Audio settings screen - you can get out of it, by hitting down once, then hitting X. This takes you back to the main Settings menu.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OMG, thank bobtomay!! I <3 you!!

I will try it tonight. The cable and all HDMI ports last time I checked. I will retest before trying the PS3 one last time.

Again, thanks so much!!

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Virtual rep for now....
I gave it another try and no go. I will see if I can borrow an HDMI cable from work. I think the packaging said it was HTCP certified and 1.3 compliant. Right now I am using a year old Acoustic Research cable I got at Best Buy for $30. I know the port is good because I was using the TV as a monitor for the past two weeks.
Other than the cord, I've given up. I was on live chat with someone from Samsung and they blamed Sony. I would expect the reverse from Sony.
At least I've exhausted all possibilities (I hope).

Thanks bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After that is going to be to try the PS3 on another TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.