Wrist/Arm Pain - Mouse recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.0 gHz, 2GB RAM; iPod 80 Gb
Hello, all! Over the last week I have developed a very painful problem in my right wrist/arm. It started in my thumb last week, and over the course of the last week, it has spread up my arm. I am worried about developing CTS.

I have switched my mouse to my left hand, but my right arm is still hurting a lot... and I don't want this to develop in my left arm as well. I think it had to do with the mac mouse --- which seems to require a whole hand movement to click, as opposed to a finger. Just a guess.

Anyhow, does anyone have any mouse recommendations for me? I tried buying a mouse with a roller ball in it, but it didn't help at all. It hurts to just reach for a mouse with my right arm at this point.

Does anyone here have experience with this sort of thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 MBP, 3gb ram, not enough disk space, iPod Classic, iPhone, techno-addiction
Don't shop for a new mouse until you've rested your hand/wrist for a reasonable amount of time. Your wrist still hurts because you're not letting it heal. While you're not mousing with it, you're still probably using it regularly which is aggravating the injury. Take some Advil/Aleve/Motrin to help control the inflammation and then ice it in intervals. Get yourself an immobilizing brace that limits your wrist's rotation. This will give it a chance to properly heal in a minimal time.
I've found with my own wrist that it's not the mousing itself that's bothering my wrist but the angle I'm mousing at. If my wrist is slightly higher or lower than my hand I find the wrist gets irritated after a moderate time. If I keep my forearm level with my hand and the wrist is not flexed, I can mouse endlessly without a problem.
Sorry this post doesn't give you mouse suggestions but I hope it helps you feel better sooner!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
why dont u get off the computer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Get a decent wrist/mouse support pad for your keyboard/mouse. I use one at work and fell like it does help to support the wrist while using the mouse. I don't have one for the keyboard but they do make them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Aquarius, I had this problem a few days ago - not as serious as you though - and this article helped me. Its all posture and ergonomics.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bd-in-pdx -- thanks so much for the suggestions. I think you're probably right about needing to rest it before trying anything -- maybe I will look for a brace this weekend. I have actually felt some improvement since I switched over to my left side, so maybe that will continue.

Raptorkid -- I work 40+ hours per week at a computer job, so this is really not an option.... unless you are volunteering to pay my rent? ;D

kfordham -- I keep hearing mixed things about wrist rests -- some of the articles say they encourage pressure on the median nerve, and other say they can help with arm strain... I am still thinking about this one.

Steven -- thanks for the article. It seems to make sense that posture would have a lot to do with things. I re-arranged my desk at work, so my right arm can rest on the desk (although now I am mousing left, so maybe that is going to exacerbate the problem for my left hand). Before, my right arm was off the desk when I moused, which probably left it unsupported.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i've found that the larger logitech trackballs put your hand/wrist in a more natural sideways position. it does take a little getting used to, but well worth it in my opinion. barring that, if you must have an actual "mouse" then i'd opt for anything with a nice angle that will allow your hand to rest less flat on top of the mouse.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've found that the larger logitech trackballs put your hand/wrist in a more natural sideways position. it does take a little getting used to, but well worth it in my opinion. barring that, if you must have an actual "mouse" then i'd opt for anything with a nice angle that will allow your hand to rest less flat on top of the mouse.

I just got the Logitech Marble Mouse, and you are right... at first glance, it does not seem like much of a different angle, but it makes a huge difference. Even though my right arm is still pretty painful, I can use this mouse with little to no pain -- in fact, I used it all day (9 hours) at work today. But if I try to use the "normal" mouse on the PC behind me, well, just reaching for it (extending my arm with palms down), sends a shooting pain up my arm.

I did put my arm in the brace this weekend, and it does seem to be getting better. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I recently picked up a Wacom Bamboo tablet, and I use it more for my mouse than my actual mouse. It's so natural and doesn't hurt the wrist as much. I've got some pretty bad carpel tunnel going on from extensive use on keyboards (since I was about 3) and from playing bass..

I have the Logitech Trackman Optical That I use on my iBook and it's much better than any mouse I've used in terms of ergonomics..

My tablet is my fave now (cuts my Photoshop/Illustrator work in half)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another consideration is my the gel wrist support mouse pad. They come in a very attractive colors, if you like navy blue and/or black and give the wrist great support. Most PC shops will stock them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Another consideration is my the gel wrist support mouse pad. They come in a very attractive colors, if you like navy blue and/or black and give the wrist great support. Most PC shops will stock them.

I forgot about those! They work great... I'd advise not being cheap and getting a decent one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD

Its actually suggested in the article that gel wrist pads are actually bad for you since it restricts movement of the arm.

To summarise, the things that have made most positive impact on me are:

1. Learning to sit properly. Without good sitting posture - back, shoulders, all the way down to the feet being flat on the ground - you CANNOT have proper posture for using a mouse and keyboard. Just try slouching and use a mouse and keyboard: your arm is stretched, your eye line is completely wrong, etc
  2. Learning to type on my keyboard without my wrists wresting on the table. Just take your wrists off the table and type and I guarantee that you will feel an immediate relief. Note: you will obviously find that you type slower for a bit, but I think most people would quickly get up to speed.
  3. Learning to pivot from my elbow to move my mouse. Online gaming (read CS:Source) has greatly encouraged the nasty habit of flicking to get where you want. But using your elbow as the main pivot point - I say main because you will still pivot the wrist, just less than you normally would - gives you a slower, more controlled feeling.

Hope this helps people - I'm still hoping for a day when someone creates a new paradigm for interacting with your computer, other than mouse and keyboard.

p.s Jeff Han's multi-touch system looks promising!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
You may want to look at the Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 which is a pretty unique design and appears to be designed for ergonomics.
mk_largerview_nwlm6k.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.