eMac freezes, then messed up screen..?

N

noisuf0

Hey guys. This is my friends eMac machine... I (myself) knows that she rarley uses it... But anyways, she recently went to use it, and well, see the computer boots up perfectly, just fine, and it works great, crystal clear perfect screen. Everythings fine, you'd never know its messed up.

So when you go to do something... It does this really awkward thing on teh screen, where it criss-crosses and pixelates everything on the screen and totally freezes up. I notice it happens faster when I use Safari. I mean, I actually havent let it sit there long enough to see if it was happen, I just waited till it did it while I was trying to do something. I took pictures.

http://tinypic.com/ckhfm

http://tinypic.com/ckhft

-- but it starts up fine and all good everythings fine, it's not slow or anything of the sort.

http://tinypic.com/ckhg9

And while I was taking pictures... the screen decided to clear up the lines a little bit, and only be horizontally screwed up. Also during this period, nothing functions. Volume buttons dont work, mouse doesn't move, music stops playing--- Everything basically freezes.

http://tinypic.com/ckhgy

Any ideas on what the **** might be wrong???

Thanks! <333

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Has new RAM been added? Have you run repair permissions? and crons? finder > apps > Util > Disk U > choose volume> Mac HD>repar permission

cron tasks 1. Open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities).
2. Type: sudo sh /etc/daily
Note: Typing "daily" runs tasks normally scheduled for a daily interval. Type "monthly" or "weekly" in place of "daily" to runs tasks scheduled for those intervals.
3. Press Return.
4. Enter your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
5. Quit Terminal when the task is complete. weekly tasks usually require a longer time to run than monthly or daily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
replease the logic board. My guess is its graphics card and since it is attached to logic board, you have to replace it all. run the apple hardware test to check.

and whiteshark, no offense but do you really know what reparing permitions and crons mean? I dont think so. these are maintanance tasks and may also rapare some software related issues. you are prescribing it to anyone with ANY kind of problems. it just hurts your reputation dude!

OP
P

petrified pixie

Actually...I had a similiar problem with mine when I first brought it home. Although mine wasn't as bad as yours. But I just took it back and they gave me another one. Apparently, from what I've heard, there are a lot of problems with the older e-macs' screens. How old is this one??

-a computer is what a computer does-

OP
N

noisuf0

petrified pixie said:
Actually...I had a similiar problem with mine when I first brought it home. Although mine wasn't as bad as yours. But I just took it back and they gave me another one. Apparently, from what I've heard, there are a lot of problems with the older e-macs' screens. How old is this one??

-a computer is what a computer does-

It's kind of old, but I don't see why it's doing it, and I don't believe it's a problem with the screen, seeing as the entire computer totally stops working. Like, when i press the volume buttons, it doesnt make the wierd volume sounds.

It randomly happened out of the blue. And It only happens when i'm using it, not when It's just sitting there.

OP
B

Badger

Have you tried the Apple Hardware Test? (It's a CD that would have come with the eMac.)

OP
J

junipersuction

Where can i get a hardware test disc?? I bought my eMac refurb and didn't get one. I am having untold problems with graphics/video card whatever...

Someone mentioned replacing the logic board which apparently the video card is attached to. Is this a relatively easy process to do yourself? How much does a new logic board cost, and where is the best place to get one??

OP
B

Badger

The Apple Hardware Test is a special restricted version of Micromat's TechTool Pro. AHT is not sold separately but you might find one through eBay etc. Just be sure you get the right version because it is keyed to specific computer models. Techtool is a commercial product that is available through normal channels. I think it's about $100 USD. If you got the system install CD with the eMac try starting up from that and use Disk Utility to check things out. One thing to consider is that memory that has gone bad can cause unexpected problems. You might try swapping out the memory chips one at a time to see if this isolates the problem.

OP
J

junipersuction

Thanks badger, yeah I tried the memory thing but still the problem is occuring. I also did the check disk apple s thing on start up and it didn't find anything wrong. Methinks it's just completely knackered. There is tons of complaints from eMac users on the apple support site with the same problem. I think my mac is doomed!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.