Apples remote desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBookPro 2.33 GHz, 2 GB Ram 160 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 750 GB External HDD
Hi,

I have apples remote desktop, just got it. I want to be able to take complete control of my Mothers new imac (Just got her to switch from Windows) over the internet. She lives in Las Vegas and I live in Calif, how do I do this. I have it installed on my MacBookPro and I dont see any options on how this is done. I want to be able to take complete control of her imac when she is having problems and does not understand what to do, this is her very first mac and I was thinking how much easier it would be for me to help her if I could just do it myself.

I am assuming that I need to get a copy of this and also install it on her mac as well as my own, but then what. How do I connect and take control of her mac. I dont see that option. We wont be on the same network so how do our computers find each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Apple Remote Desktop clients are part of the OS. Access them in the sharing system preference.

Open port 3283 through her router if she has one.

I'd also set up a DynDNS account for so you don't need to worry about her IP when trying to connect remotely.

Use ARD to connect to the DynDNS name you set up for your mother.

ARD is kinda slow over the internet.

If you both have Leopard you can use secure VNC, it's built in and IMHO a bit faster. Just configure the VNC portion of the RD sharing system preference, open port 5900 in her router and then use cmd + K in your finder to connect to server using vnc://yourmomsdynndnsname.org

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.