Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 68
  1. #46
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    So are you saying that you will soon have three Apple TV's?:

    - one of the older models with the internal HD
    - two of the new models

    I think that I would definitely be interested in that "very nice discount" if the new ones don't work out...if I don't buy one first! Decide soon!

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    Yep, 3 in the house. I know people have been down on AppleTV since it hit the market, but it is the perfect device for my needs. I have about 100gb of stuff stored on the device. I usually get the triple pack when buying DVD's for the kids (Blu-Ray, DVD, & Digital Copy) and they always have their movie at their fingertips and I don't get upset for another ruined DVD!

    The new one fits my needs perfectly as well. I am a Netflix subscriber and we watch a ton of stuff on there. The old ATV can't do that obviously, but my Blu-Ray in the theatre has the Netflix feature so it doesn't really matter. The 2 new devices will fill the Netflix void and still let me stream my library. I just wish that they would get here already!!

    I still think Apple has tricks up their sleeve with this device. I look forward to updates down the road, but if not I really think I will be happy with the current feature set.

  2. #47
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    Yep, 3 in the house.

    I just wish that they would get here already!!

    I still think Apple has tricks up their sleeve with this device. I look forward to updates down the road, but if not I really think I will be happy with the current feature set.
    Ahh...so all 3 aren't actually "in the house" yet! When do you expect them? I take it you're not near an Apple Store to just pick them up.

    As far as the future. I'm betting there's two things Apple is doing related to the Apple TV:

    - they probably have ideas that they will announce within the next 3 or so months (hopefully)
    - then there's probably some ideas on the "back-burner" still being worked out.

    Hopefully most of the ideas will see the light of day...because I would hate to see the device launched before it was really ready (everything in place to make the ideas work...such as agreements with online content providers)!

    - Nick

    p.s. If you seriously decide not to keep one of the new Apple TV's...let me know!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #48
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ahh...so all 3 aren't actually "in the house" yet! When do you expect them? I take it you're not near an Apple Store to just pick them up.

    As far as the future. I'm betting there's two things Apple is doing related to the Apple TV:

    - they probably have ideas that they will announce within the next 3 or so months (hopefully)
    - then there's probably some ideas on the "back-burner" still being worked out.

    Hopefully most of the ideas will see the light of day...because I would hate to see the device launched before it was really ready (everything in place to make the ideas work...such as agreements with online content providers)!

    - Nick

    p.s. If you seriously decide not to keep one of the new Apple TV's...let me know!
    True, 3 not "in house" yet! :-) We have 2 Apple stores here in KC, but they take some time to get to for me, and my phone calls to them have shown me the the stock is flying off their shelves. They say delivery by the 22nd, but I usually get stuff quicker than they predict.

    I don't see the device as "not ready" personally, I just think there is so much more that could happen and I agree with you in hoping some great ideas see the light of day.

  4. #49
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    C-Town
    Posts
    4,071
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    I think there is a lot to be seen on the new ATV. It does have 8gb of flash, and that opens some possibilities with future updates.
    8gb flash is nothing on it! That's about the size needed for the ATV's OS. My atv is 40gb, but only 33gb shows because of the OS. And from what I've been reading, the new ATV has a more efficient OS in terms of gbs used, but also packs in more features.

    I also believe that apple has something waiting in their sleeves. Whatever it is, it's something that people are demanding right now.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  5. #50
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    8gb flash is nothing on it! That's about the size needed for the ATV's OS. My atv is 40gb, but only 33gb shows because of the OS. And from what I've been reading, the new ATV has a more efficient OS in terms of gbs used, but also packs in more features.

    I also believe that apple has something waiting in their sleeves. Whatever it is, it's something that people are demanding right now.
    These 2 devices cannot even be compared from an OS standpoint. The old ATV is running Tiger and has a much larger footprint data wise. The new one is in no way the same as the old. Look at the 8gb iPod touch, it virtually takes nothing to run and leaves pretty much all of the flash space available for media and apps.

    You may think that 8gb of flash is "nothing", but it is a great deal when dealing with lightweight iOS type devices. I still think that there are a tons of options that could be up and coming.

  6. #51
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    I don't see the device as "not ready" personally, I just think there is so much more that could happen and I agree with you in hoping some great ideas see the light of day.
    What I meant by "not ready" is not the technologies & services that the Apple TV can download from currently (that we know about)...it's all of the things that we don't know about is what I'm referring to. There may be all sorts of things the Apple folks have planned or are talking about that we may never know about.

    What if the abilities of the new Apple TV (that we know about) are only 50% of what it's actually capable of? And from a technology standpoint how do we know that technologies within the new Apple TV are yet to be "unlocked" via an OS or firmware update?

    The example I'm most familiar with is the bluetooth abilities for the iPod Touch (2nd generation) weren't unlocked until the release of OS 3.0:

    iPod Touch Bluetooth Unlocked by OS 3.0

    So we will have to wait & see.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #52
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    What I meant by "not ready" is not the technologies & services that the Apple TV can download from currently (that we know about)...it's all of the things that we don't know about is what I'm referring to. There may be all sorts of things the Apple folks have planned or are talking about that we may never know about.

    What if the abilities of the new Apple TV (that we know about) are only 50% of what it's actually capable of? And from a technology standpoint how do we know that technologies within the new Apple TV are yet to be "unlocked" via an OS or firmware update?

    The example I'm most familiar with is the bluetooth abilities for the iPod Touch (2nd generation) weren't unlocked until the release of OS 3.0:

    iPod Touch Bluetooth Unlocked by OS 3.0

    So we will have to wait & see.

    - Nick
    Gotcha! There will probably be a lot of things they are considering that we will never know about and that is unfortunate. Looking at the touch and all that it can do there has to be much more available for this.

    The bluetooth unlock on the touch was a biggie, and that just shows me what they are capable of. I am just hoping that more is coming, but everything is in the "unknown" category right now.

  8. #53
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    I am just hoping that more is coming, but everything is in the "unknown" category right now.
    As I'm sure you know...a lot of the reviewers of the new Apple TV are still guessing what the 8gig of flash ram is for. Is it just for caching...or something more impressive?? Hmmm.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #54
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    C-Town
    Posts
    4,071
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    These 2 devices cannot even be compared from an OS standpoint. The old ATV is running Tiger and has a much larger footprint data wise. The new one is in no way the same as the old. Look at the 8gb iPod touch, it virtually takes nothing to run and leaves pretty much all of the flash space available for media and apps.

    You may think that 8gb of flash is "nothing", but it is a great deal when dealing with lightweight iOS type devices. I still think that there are a tons of options that could be up and coming.
    No doubt the actual size will be smaller than the modified 10.4 of tiger that the old ATV was running on, which is why I said the new os becomes more efficient in its basic size, but also packs in more features. Think about it, if there really was a way for us to access the flash memory manually, don't you think we would have been told? So far, jailbreaking seems to be the only way. I have a feeling they are being limited by the modified iOS, and are actually working on giving more accessible space to the user(maybe in future updates). It's also not that simple to compare the iOS of the touch/iphone to the ATV. The new ATV's iOS is as modified from the actual iOS as the old ATV's was from a 10.4 OS of tiger. They are based off the same OS, and can communicate great with each other...but their not the same(that's coming from iOS4.1/4.2 beta testers). Also...(I swear, I will stop soon!) part of the 8gb memory is used to access quick pause and memory features for playback. I don't know how much is used, but I'm guessing it depends on each program/media.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  10. #55
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
    ...Think about it, if there really was a way for us to access the flash memory manually, don't you think we would have been told?
    No, I don't think that we would have been told. Apple has always kept plenty of secrets in the past.


    Everything is open for debate at this point, but one thing to keep in mind is that the Roku box that does streaming of Netflix, Amazon, etc. only has 64mb of flash. In no way is 8gb needed for caching / streaming.

  11. #56
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    C-Town
    Posts
    4,071
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    I think that's a rather stupid secret when the memory was the second most expensive part of the device! I'm pretty sure it could have been used to sway people who didn't know if they wanted one or not. There has to be something behind it that we don't know yet.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  12. #57
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,418
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.3
    My guess would be the 8GB is memory for caching, for future app storage, preemptive download area for updates before installation and maybe temporary storage of video rentals. I'm still interested to see how the whole "hacking" community runs with this. In the US, you can jailbreak a phone legally to run it on another carrier. Well, the ATV runs iOS and is apparently hackable, but it has nothing to do with phones or carriers. Last I checked, you can't legally hack a cable box DVR, but then again a cable box is sort of a rental hardware device and comes with a contract usually. The FCC also has some say over broadcast devices and the like. We are also dealing with an ATV that is a conduit to renting and displaying DMCA material, which further confuses me. So, is it "legal" to hack or backward engineer it, or is that verboten and a EULA violation ie: will it be a topic non gratis on certain internet forums?
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  13. #58
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    iggibar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2009
    Location
    C-Town
    Posts
    4,071
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*
    I haven't read anywhere about how far down the Apple lineup the new jailbreak/unlock ruling goes, but the key issue that resulted in the new rule because of users still being locked down to ATT after they had completed their contract. I don't see how it can apply to other i-devices like the ATV/touch, unless jailbreaking has been accepted in general, and not just for termed contracts.
    “If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius

  14. #59
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)

    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4
    Specs:
    3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz RAM OS X Snow Leopard
    Congrats! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine! I just bought the new Apple TV which is great too!
    Felix

  15. #60
    New happy owner of an Apple TV:)
    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,310
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    I bought a new ATV about 2 weeks go but returned it within 24 hours. Now there was nothing wrong with the ATV itself as far as I could tell, but I'm in a hotel on business and apparently the hotel blocks the ports I need to log into my Apple account from the ATV (the help page lists the exacts ports). I was sharing the ethernet connection from my MacBook to the ATV wirelessly.

    Now, before you say, what do you need an ATV in a hotel for let me say that a) it's an 8 week trip, b) I came with over 150 movies on my hdd/iTunes and c) I've ripped 80+ movies while I've been here.

    I took the ATV back to the Apple store and explained to the genius what was wrong and what i did. She responded that it definitely wasn't me and was most definitely likely the hotels network and cheerfully refunded my money.

    Now, I could have kept the ATV and taken it home with me but on the off chance that it WAS the actual unit itself I would have then been outside the 14 day return window from Apple. I'll buy one right before I leave and take it home with me though. I was certainly impressed with what I saw of that little black box. Just wish I could have gotten it to log onto my acct though.

    I have an old ATV at home and I like it but the interface lags (I have a HUGE video and music library on iTunes). I did notice that the ATV2 interface was MUCH snappier.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new owner, extremely happy
    By Ttaylor394 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2011, 07:18 PM
  2. Happy new owner:)
    By iggibar in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 04:45 PM
  3. Hello from a happy new Mac Mini owner
    By CarpathiaMan in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2010, 03:05 PM
  4. New Powerbook Owner (Happy) questions...
    By jbsengineer in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 08:10 PM
  5. Soon 2 be Apple ibook owner
    By ikamau in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 10:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •