Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?

    Member Since
    Jul 09, 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    356
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    www.dynostep.com
    engine simulation software

  2. #2
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    clayneal's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Posts
    2,146
    Specs:
    late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
    Dont you just love how with just marketing alone Apple has made it to the top of the "tablet" pile and has everyone gunning for them ?
    now we have :1.iPod killers
    2.iPhone killers
    3. and now iPad killers

    Its lonely at the top !

    Clay
    MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

  3. #3
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Great write up.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,481
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    But it will "FLASH" so it will win!

    HTML5 is so much better though!


    Windows 3.1 support? What about Atari Sparta Dos support for me? I have 1000's of apps. How about Amiga OS and Atari ST support also? I still have all my apps for those also.

    Slate

    Sounds like it will be quite heavy being a Slate and all!

  5. #5
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    I still have a shelf full of Win 3.1, 95, 98 & ME games I'll get to play on it.

    Gonna have to get me one of those.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  6. #6
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,970
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by clayneal View Post
    Dont you just love how with just marketing alone Apple has made it to the top of the "tablet" pile and has everyone gunning for them ?
    now we have :1.iPod killers
    2.iPhone killers
    3. and now iPad killers

    Its lonely at the top !

    Clay
    Yes, how many of the so-called "iPod killers" and "iPhone killers" have actually accomplished that mission? Oh that's right NONE.

    I'm sure the Slate fills a niche for some people better than the iPad does, and that's fine. But I think the people who identify themselves in that market suffer from "Linux Syndrome," ie imagining themselves to be a VASTLY larger market than they actually are.

  7. #7
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,418
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.3
    Good Lord. Have these even been released yet?
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

  8. #8
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,481
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ-linux View Post
    Good Lord. Have these even been released yet?
    Nope!

    Neither has the iPad yet people run it down like they have owned one and used one and know exactly what it does and how it works.

  9. #9
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    joshbrez's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    199
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz 3 GB RAM
    The minute anyone comes up with an Apple-product-X-killer, that means that Apple's won.

  10. #10
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,970
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by joshbrez View Post
    The minute anyone comes up with an Apple-product-X-killer, that means that Apple's won.
    Bears repeating.

  11. #11
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?

    Member Since
    Jul 01, 2007
    Posts
    248
    love it pushing apple to do better.

  12. #12
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    I'm not saying this thing is a killer. But the iPad is an over sized iPod touch and no one wants to admit it. I was impressed at first but have since lost interest what's revolutionary about it?? What does it do (besides a large screen) that an iPhone or iPod touch don't already do?

  13. #13
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,970
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    what's revolutionary about it?? What does it do (besides a large screen) that an iPhone or iPod touch don't already do?
    If you don't "get" what the iPad is about, little I say here will likely make a difference, but perhaps the words of others will help you to understand that the iPad is *indeed* more than "just a big iPod Touch":

    Here's a good starting point: someone who has ACTUALLY USED AN IPAD: Hands-on with the Apple iPad – it does make sense :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko

    And another such report (with pics and video) from AppleInsider:
    AppleInsider | Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

    Next, I think it's important to look at the iPad as part of a bigger picture:
    The iPad's future shock | Tablets | iPhone Central | Macworld

    In addition to that very good article, here's another "meta-thinking" essay:
    stevenf.com - I need to talk to you about computers. I?ve been...

    Another signal that perhaps you are overlooking something comes from the plethora of developer "buzz" about the iPad, starting at the keynote and spreading particularly among publishers:
    Publishers and Developers Talk iPad -- Mighty Industry Morphin' Time? | Mac|Life

    And finally here's a longer essay on my own initial impressions and how the machine affects both me and the many people I teach computers to:
    The iPad — The ?Goldilocks? Computer?

    In particular (should you read this), pay attention to the last paragraphs.

    I'd be interested to hear your revised opinion after polishing off the above articles.

  14. #14
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    If you don't "get" what the iPad is about, little I say here will likely make a difference, but perhaps the words of others will help you to understand that the iPad is *indeed* more than "just a big iPod Touch":

    Here's a good starting point: someone who has ACTUALLY USED AN IPAD: Hands-on with the Apple iPad – it does make sense :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Andy Ihnatko

    And another such report (with pics and video) from AppleInsider:
    AppleInsider | Hands on with Apple's iPad (with videos and photos)

    Next, I think it's important to look at the iPad as part of a bigger picture:
    The iPad's future shock | Tablets | iPhone Central | Macworld

    In addition to that very good article, here's another "meta-thinking" essay:
    stevenf.com - I need to talk to you about computers. I?ve been...

    Another signal that perhaps you are overlooking something comes from the plethora of developer "buzz" about the iPad, starting at the keynote and spreading particularly among publishers:
    Publishers and Developers Talk iPad -- Mighty Industry Morphin' Time? | Mac|Life

    And finally here's a longer essay on my own initial impressions and how the machine affects both me and the many people I teach computers to:
    The iPad — The ?Goldilocks? Computer?

    In particular (should you read this), pay attention to the last paragraphs.

    I'd be interested to hear your revised opinion after polishing off the above articles.
    Just as many article like these, There are just many against it.
    One thing the above articles have in common are it's comparison to the original iPod back in 2001,But that was 2001 and people want something more like what they saw at Jan 2007 keynote,Something revolutionary.
    Hardwise the iPad is not impressive, 1Ghz processor?? There already putting these in phones. No camera,no flash (I know I know but guess what most of the internet is powered by flash, It's still kind of important) No multitasking,No external ports. Hey it's a nice device,But it's not revolutionary it's nothing like the iPhone when it was announced.

    But hey it hasn't been released yet, Most people haven't even touched it yet.

  15. #15
    is HP's slate an iPad killer?
    XJ-linux's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 02, 2007
    Location
    Going Galt...
    Posts
    3,418
    Specs:
    MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.3
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    I'm not saying this thing is a killer. But the iPad is an over sized iPod touch and no one wants to admit it.
    That is my impression of it as well. I will say, however, that I will look again when v2.0 comes out (at a September iPod event perhaps?) and see what's new. A few "common" features added to it might change my opinion.
    Never judge a man, untill you have walked a mile in his shoes...
    That way you'll be a mile away from him, and you'll have his shoes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. BlackBerry PlayBook reviews say that it's not an iPad killer
    By OneMoreThing... in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
  2. 5 Very good reasons not to get a HP Slate (instead of an ipad)
    By the8thark in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
  3. HP and their slate consider the ipad a threat
    By the8thark in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 03:22 AM
  4. Samsung Slate to rival Apple iPad
    By the8thark in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •