Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Buy now or wait??

    Member Since
    Mar 24, 2007
    Location
    Langebaan, South Africa
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    Macbook wannabe
    Buy now or wait??
    I have decided to finally make the switch to Apple and can't wait to get my Macbook. (I have been sitting on the fence ever since my wife swapped to the Mac 2 years ago.) I evaluated my usage and decided that the white Macbook would be the best and most economical option for me.

    My problem is that I am a bit concerned that within a month or two after I receive my Macbook, it will be upgraded. Yes, I know that you can never wait for the next best model to be released but according to this page on Macrumors the current Macbooks are already 3/4 into the average update cycle. I have a 3 month old C2D Dell laptop so I am not really pushed to get a new machine urgently but now that I have taken the final decision I can't bear working on it.

    Do you think it's worthwhile to wait a month or 2 or should I go ahead and buy one now?

    Cobus

  2. #2
    Buy now or wait??
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by cvzyl View Post
    Do you think it's worthwhile to wait a month or 2 or should I go ahead and buy one now?
    If you are asking that, then you haven't really...
    Quote Originally Posted by cvzyl View Post
    ...decided to finally make the switch to Apple
    Plus, you already answered your own question...
    Quote Originally Posted by cvzyl View Post
    I ...can't wait to get my Macbook.
    :black:
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #3
    Buy now or wait??
    Flic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 31, 2007
    Location
    - Hertfordshire, UK -
    Posts
    315
    Specs:
    - Macbook -
    I didn't wait for mine. Granted i had no idea about the upcoming new stuff as it was a complete impulse buy! But I don't regret it one bit. Whatever you buy it'll be 'old' in a few weeks.... I say do it!

  4. #4
    Buy now or wait??
    symondavis's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    188
    Specs:
    MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
    Do it, do it, do it etc etc...

    I got mine in the early stages of the Macbook and I dont care about my CPU or DVD drive not being as good as the new models. Only cause I like what I have which is the OS that actually works. Oh and my modded apple on the back of the screen hehehe
    On a crusade to get all household electricals in Apple white!

  5. #5
    Buy now or wait??
    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by cvzyl View Post
    Yes, I know that you can never wait for the next best model to be released but according to this page on Macrumors the current Macbooks are already 3/4 into the average update cycle.
    The problem with that site is that Apple has under gone a paradigm shift. With the old model, Apple was the only comapany using the processor that were available. Now that Apple has gone with Intel, I believe that will change there update model. There will have to be more updates to any given system before the macrumors can create a better chart.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  6. #6
    Buy now or wait??
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Welcome to Mac-Forums, zvzyl!

    I really ought to keep a copy of the statement I'm about to make, because there's been so many threads like this.

    Technology changes constantly. So if you're waiting for the "next big thing", you'll be waiting forever. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the current MacBook suits your needs. If yes, then buy now. To be quite honest, unless the speed of the clock speed of the processor substantially increases (by that I mean, by a third or more) or there are more cores, then the differences in overall performance will be negligible. As far as Leopard goes, there is no way to know when it will come out. From what I've seen, there are no new features that can not be grafted upon Tiger via the aftermarket. To summarize, if the current MacBook looks good to you and will suit your needs, just buy it.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7
    Buy now or wait??

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2007
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    White Macbook - Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HD
    I had the same problem a month or so ago. Ultimately, I ended up buying my MacBook now, and I am really glad that I did. I don't know whether Apple will upgrade the specs, but I think the MacBook's are plenty good now, so it is not too big of a deal if they are upgraded. Having a computer that "Just Works" A.S.A.P. is worth it.

  8. #8
    Buy now or wait??

    Member Since
    Apr 02, 2006
    Posts
    51
    Id say wait for leopard to come out. Its rumored to be out in june so its not that far off, and you'll save yourself from paying for the OS upgrade if you want it.

  9. #9
    Buy now or wait??

    Member Since
    Feb 08, 2004
    Location
    Fort Bliss Texas
    Posts
    425
    Specs:
    Macbook Pro, Mabook Air, Ipad Mini Retina, Ipad Air2, Airport Time Capsule, 2x Iphone 6
    Wait for Leopard. After leopard comes out, rumor has it, a month later a new video card will be in the new macbooks, so wait for that next. A month after that, a new processor will be out in the macbooks, so may want to wait for that. After the processor upgrade comes out, then i heard a new display will be put out, so wait for that too. See where this is headed? there is always something later and greater just over the horizon. The brains over at apple are always thinking, always upgrading, always something new to sell thats better than the last thing they sold. The problem is, if you wait for EVERYTHING, then you end up with NOTHING. Take the plunge and enjoy your new macbook. P.S. All hose rumors are just made up, nothing in the wind about a new video card or processor or display, I just made them up to drive home a point. Noone knows when apple is about to release something except apple themselves.

  10. #10
    Buy now or wait??

    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2007
    Posts
    91
    I'd say go ahead and do it! I made the switch last week and i'm loving my macbook. I'm also phone/technology freak! I couldn't survive without having the latest and greatest cellphone/PPC. Everytime a great device comes out, the manufactures would post the specs of the next successor of that device and people would just keep waiting and waiting and waiting. I just buy the ones that i think will fill my needs, and several times a greater and better device has came out a month or so later and the re-sale value of the one i had just bought shoots down the drain.

    JUST DO IT!

  11. #11
    Buy now or wait??
    XMARLTONX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 14, 2007
    Location
    Marlton, NJ
    Posts
    852
    Specs:
    3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Welcome to Mac-Forums, zvzyl!

    I really ought to keep a copy of the statement I'm about to make, because there's been so many threads like this.

    Technology changes constantly. So if you're waiting for the "next big thing", you'll be waiting forever. The question you have to ask yourself is whether the current MacBook suits your needs. If yes, then buy now. To be quite honest, unless the speed of the clock speed of the processor substantially increases (by that I mean, by a third or more) or there are more cores, then the differences in overall performance will be negligible. As far as Leopard goes, there is no way to know when it will come out. From what I've seen, there are no new features that can not be grafted upon Tiger via the aftermarket. To summarize, if the current MacBook looks good to you and will suit your needs, just buy it.
    Words of the wise.

  12. #12
    Buy now or wait??
    OSURico112's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 20, 2007
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    139
    Specs:
    Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle
    I know this is my first forum post, just bought a macbook today, but I've heard that Leopard will not be released until around October due to Apple pulling people from it's Dev team to help with the iphone. They stated it will pretty much be finished by June, however not ready for retail yet and up to their standards as they put it. I'll try to locate the source from where I read this the other day.

  13. #13
    Buy now or wait??
    gilesjuk's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 03, 2007
    Posts
    301
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
    If your purchase isn't a "need" based purchase but is a "want" based purchase then you will save a few pennies by waiting until Leopard is released.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Buy now or wait?
    By reveries3 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 11:38 AM
  2. Buy now or wait???
    By MDSilverado in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM
  3. Should I buy or should I wait?
    By Ashton in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Buy now or wait?!?!
    By snax83 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
  5. Buy now or wait?
    By kevrodg in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 02:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •