Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Just bought a gig of memory
    I went to put it in the left hand slot. It is Centon brand from Compusa. They recommended it for the mac.

    I closed everything back up and it won't power on. I put the old memory back in and it won't power on.

    I read that if it isn't seated correctly it won't power on.

    I seated and reseated the old memory with no luck.

    Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? I do this stuff for a living (Sun Unix Engineer) so I made sure I was grounded and I didn't force anything, etc...

    Ideas?

    Thanks!

    Tim

  2. #2
    Just bought a gig of memory

    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    87
    Specs:
    2.0 macbook
    Well, is the battery set in correctly?
    Sometimes we all miss the small things.

    Btw- Cool job!

  3. #3
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno Mutant
    Well, is the battery set in correctly?
    Sometimes we all miss the small things.

    Btw- Cool job!
    Thanks! I called Apple and they want me to call back tomorrow. They think it might be a hardware problem with the slot because the lever wouldn't eject the memory and return back to normal position.

    Tim

  4. #4
    Just bought a gig of memory

    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Quote Originally Posted by mac747
    I went to put it in the left hand slot. It is Centon brand from Compusa. They recommended it for the mac.

    I closed everything back up and it won't power on. I put the old memory back in and it won't power on.

    I read that if it isn't seated correctly it won't power on.

    I seated and reseated the old memory with no luck.

    Any ideas? Did I do something wrong? I do this stuff for a living (Sun Unix Engineer) so I made sure I was grounded and I didn't force anything, etc...

    Ideas?

    Thanks!

    Tim
    In your other thread I notice you were advised not to buy the Centon ram as it was incompatible with your mac?

    I'm a bit confused as to whether you went ahead and bought the Centon 512MB PC3200 200pin DDR SODIMM Memory Module after being advised that you needed DDR2 667mhz RAM for your MacBook.

  5. #5
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8
    In your other thread I notice you were advised not to buy the Centon ram as it was incompatible with your mac?

    I'm a bit confused as to whether you went ahead and bought the Centon 512MB PC3200 200pin DDR SODIMM Memory Module after being advised that you needed DDR2 667mhz RAM for your MacBook.
    What other thread are you referring to? Today I bought the Centon 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667mhz 200 pin memory.

    Tim

  6. #6
    Just bought a gig of memory

    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2005
    Posts
    4,702
    Quote Originally Posted by mac747
    What other thread are you referring to? Today I bought the Centon 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2-667mhz 200 pin memory.

    Tim
    I'm sorry mac747 but I just finished reading this thread when I read your post and mistakenly took them to be from the same person....it was the Centon name and the fact you both mention MacBooks that did it.....lol

  7. #7
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse-8
    I'm sorry mac747 but I just finished reading this thread when I read your post and mistakenly took them to be from the same person....it was the Centon name and the fact you both mention MacBooks that did it.....lol
    Oh. No problem...

    Tim

  8. #8
    Just bought a gig of memory
    coach_z's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    3,169
    Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    did you make sure to keep yourself grounded in order to avoid static shocks which can fry electronics?
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

  9. #9
    Just bought a gig of memory

    Member Since
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    87
    Specs:
    2.0 macbook
    Heh, I made the same conclusion although I read this topic first! (:

  10. #10
    Just bought a gig of memory
    ByzantineRemnant's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    614
    Specs:
    MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
    Well, Tim, I hope you are able to figure out whatever is kepping your MacBook from powering on. Hopefully it is something simple and easy.

  11. #11
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Yes, I was grounded. I do this stuff for a living so I knew to do that.

    Tim

  12. #12
    Just bought a gig of memory
    ByzantineRemnant's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 15, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    614
    Specs:
    MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
    ^You already stated that in your original post, people cant read...

  13. #13
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Yeah, I did, didn't I!? Guess I can't read either! ha ha...

  14. #14
    sursuciofla
    Guest
    Hope you figure it out. I think you should get replacement from where you purchased it since it seems like bad RAM. But maybe like you stated earlier it is hardware problem. Like I said good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.

  15. #15
    Just bought a gig of memory
    mac747's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    385
    Specs:
    2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by sursuciofla
    Hope you figure it out. I think you should get replacement from where you purchased it since it seems like bad RAM. But maybe like you stated earlier it is hardware problem. Like I said good luck and I hope you get it resolved soon.
    Apple is sending me a box to ship the computer back to them in. They said that since I'm past the 14 days (I'm on day 16), they can't replace it for a new one. They also told me my wife might lose all of the pictures she has on her hard drive, so I better go find a way to back it up. They ALSO told me that if I had bought the computer from an Apple Store and not from a reseller (American Musical Supply) I could have taken the computer into the Apple store for an exchange "maybe".

    Where are all these rules when you are buying the computer? All I know is I went online, found a place that sells macbooks, and clicked add to cart and didn't see ANYTHING about any of the stuff they told me. Funny thing is, I bought MY macbook (broken one is wife's) Saturday night at the Apple Store and I asked the guy when I was checking out if there are any perks or anything that goes along with buying the macbook from the Apple store instead of online and he said "nope". I mentioned this to the service guy on the phone and he said "well it's not really a perk"....

    Whatever...

    Tim

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Slow iMac 27 inch, bought 2011 with5 GB memory
    By tyznerbo in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2014, 04:01 PM
  2. 2 or 3 gig memory upgrade?
    By Capt Crunch in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM
  3. Can the new iMac support two 4 gig memory sticks?
    By seasurfer in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 05:57 AM
  4. 1 gig memory for 15" powerbook good price?
    By IChing in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •