Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2006
    Posts
    51
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    Following my recent struggles with my old Macbook, I think it's time to buy a new comp. I was hoping someone here could recommend what would be best suited for my needs.

    I basically use the computer for surfing the web and other normal daily activities. I watch movies on the computer quite a bit and also hook up my computer to my tv to watch movies and streaming events over the internet. I don't do any video editing or photo editing or anything really that is CPU intensive.

    What Im confused about is if I really would need the upgraded video card in the 15" MBP. Is this necessary when all I will be doing is hooking up my computer to a tv or watching movies?

    I would prefer to stay with the 13" but I don't want to regret not getting enough power.

    I've also looked at getting a MBAir for the awesome battery power, but Im not really too familiar with them and Im pretty sure I want the Retina screen.

    I had originally looked at getting an older model MBP because I wanted to be able to upgrade the Ram and HD but Im not sure Im really comfortable with buying used off of Ebay and there doesn't really seem to be any good deals in the Refurb section right now.

    Any advice would be great. Thanks

  2. #2
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,188
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    If retina is a requirement for you, then you have to stick with the rMBP's and the 13" indeed would do everything you want and more..

    However, do check out the 13" MBA as a comparison point since it will do everything you want but doesn't have the Retina, but if you're going to connecting to the TV more often then that isn't going to be a problem for you..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  3. #3
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    If retina is a requirement for you, then you have to stick with the rMBP's and the 13" indeed would do everything you want and more..

    However, do check out the 13" MBA as a comparison point since it will do everything you want but doesn't have the Retina, but if you're going to connecting to the TV more often then that isn't going to be a problem for you..

    So Im guessing, based on your reply, that the only people who would really need the upgraded video card are those who play games and/or do video editing? Is this true?

  4. #4
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,188
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Yeah, any application that requires heavy duty graphics support, games, video editing and CAD fall into that category would definitely benefit from the upgraded graphics card. That doesn't mean that you can't run those programs on the lower models, it's just that you won't get the same kind of performance..

    On the other hand, watching movies and so on, the regular graphics card is fine for that..and even browsing the web..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  5. #5
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,271
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    The new MacBook Air 13" and 11" models have the latest Intel Graphics chipset built in; the HD 5000 which should provide very good performance for games and other programs like CAD.

  6. #6
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,485
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    From the computing activities you listed...a 13" MacBook Pro or 13" MacBook Air would be fine.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Jun 08, 2013
    Location
    Būr said,Egypt
    Posts
    158
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro (i5)
    myself i don't recommend other than the standard Macbook Pro. it has a lot of features which unavailable in the Retina. the new air looks cool but alos it shouldn't give performance like the pro's performance

  8. #8
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodda_Hunter View Post
    myself i don't recommend other than the standard Macbook Pro. it has a lot of features which unavailable in the Retina. the new air looks cool but alos it shouldn't give performance like the pro's performance
    This is confusing to me. What features do the regular, non retina, macbook pros offer that the retina models do not?

    If going with the 13" MBP Retina, would it beneficial to me to upgrade to the i7, or would that be a waste of money for what I would use it for?

  9. #9
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Jun 08, 2013
    Location
    Būr said,Egypt
    Posts
    158
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro (i5)

  10. #10
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,485
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by nextiger View Post
    If going with the 13" MBP Retina, would it beneficial to me to upgrade to the i7, or would that be a waste of money for what I would use it for?
    You've already had recommendations for the entry level MacBook Pro or MacBook Air. Either of these computers will be fine for the activities you listed.

    What you're REALLY paying for between the "regular" MacBook Pro's and the retina MacBook Pro's is the more expensive...higher resolution display.

    If you carefully look at the graphics and cpu specs of the 13" MacBook Pro's and the 13" retina MacBook Pro's...you will see that the cpu and graphics specs are virually the same. Thus very similar "computing power".

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  11. #11
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,271
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    +1 to what Nick said and this:

    The new MacBook Air has better graphics capability than the Retina machines do. The Retina machines have the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU while the new MacBook Air machines have the Intel HD 5000 GPU which is twice as fast. Also, the MacBook Air has the new Intel Haswell chipset which in conjunction with a better battery will give you around 12 to 14 hours of use on the 13" model.

    That's a "no brainer" choice to me.

  12. #12
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    +1 to what Nick said and this:

    The new MacBook Air has better graphics capability than the Retina machines do. The Retina machines have the Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU while the new MacBook Air machines have the Intel HD 5000 GPU which is twice as fast. Also, the MacBook Air has the new Intel Haswell chipset which in conjunction with a better battery will give you around 12 to 14 hours of use on the 13" model.

    That's a "no brainer" choice to me.
    If only the MBA came with a Retina screen, then it for sure would be a no brainer, lol. Of course, then Im sure that it wouldn't have to battery life that it does.

    I've obviously never owned a Retina machine besides my iPhone, and the MBA is very enticing to me, I just feel like the Retina screen is something you "must" get. Im gonna go check them out and see if I could do without the Retina screen. If so, then Ill for sure go with the MBA.

  13. #13
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by nextiger View Post
    Following my recent struggles with my old Macbook, I think it's time to buy a new comp. I was hoping someone here could recommend what would be best suited for my needs.

    I basically use the computer for surfing the web and other normal daily activities. I watch movies on the computer quite a bit and also hook up my computer to my tv to watch movies and streaming events over the internet. I don't do any video editing or photo editing or anything really that is CPU intensive.

    What Im confused about is if I really would need the upgraded video card in the 15" MBP. Is this necessary when all I will be doing is hooking up my computer to a tv or watching movies?

    I would prefer to stay with the 13" but I don't want to regret not getting enough power.

    I've also looked at getting a MBAir for the awesome battery power, but Im not really too familiar with them and Im pretty sure I want the Retina screen.

    I had originally looked at getting an older model MBP because I wanted to be able to upgrade the Ram and HD but Im not sure Im really comfortable with buying used off of Ebay and there doesn't really seem to be any good deals in the Refurb section right now.

    Any advice would be great. Thanks
    Nowhere here have you mentioned the NEED to have it as a mobile platform ?? So if you don't need a mobile platform, why not go the Mac Mini as they have a LOT of Power now and it will be forever hooked up to your TV and then invest in a Apple BT KeyBoard and TrackPad and couple them together with a TwelveSouth Magic Wand ??
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  14. #14
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Nowhere here have you mentioned the NEED to have it as a mobile platform ?? So if you don't need a mobile platform, why not go the Mac Mini as they have a LOT of Power now and it will be forever hooked up to your TV and then invest in a Apple BT KeyBoard and TrackPad and couple them together with a TwelveSouth Magic Wand ??
    Sorry, I guess that was just implied by me asking advice on laptops. It definitely has to be mobile. I spend half of my life in hotel rooms, lol.

  15. #15
    Recommend Me A New Macbook Plz
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by nextiger View Post
    Sorry, I guess that was just implied by me asking advice on laptops. It definitely has to be mobile. I spend half of my life in hotel rooms, lol.
    Many many people come on here asking advice just like you, and they always mention MB, MBA, MBP's without really thinking about it, or just because they are a nice looking machine, without implying if they need it for mobility or not. Once you explain it to them the power of the Mac Mini, they stop dead and start to think about what they really need, or want.
    Because you where talking about portables, doesn't in any way imply you need one for mobility, and nowhere did you imply you travel, or live in hotel rooms your life, so recommending a Mac Mini has its grounds.
    But now you have said you need a mobile device, ill leave it at that, because the boys above me are doing a good job in explaining things and giving sound advice.
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. plz help my macbook is really slow
    By ari15 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
  2. Recommend a second screen for macbook
    By ferco in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM
  3. help my macbook pro plz
    By defer09 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
  4. Plz Help, Macbook freezeing then restarting
    By RampHog in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
  5. Would you recommend a MacBook for university?
    By magicparrot in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •