Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2013
    Posts
    16
    over charging for battery is it safe?
    hello i just wanna ask about my battery, its already full but i keep my power supply attached even if its already full charge is it safe to be that way?

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,400
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Yes...this is exactly how I've operated my laptops for years. If you want more info...please read the "Battery" link in my signature.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yes...this is exactly how I've operated my laptops for years. If you want more info...please read the "Battery" link in my signature.

    - Nick

    i just bought my laptop macbook pro 13' and read some battery concern but i haven't find yet about over charging or continue plugging adapter while its already full, and continue working for more than one hour, so its safe for your battery for continued plugging for one hour after it was fully charge, because in cellphone case we cannot over charge it because it will damage the battery

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,400
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by wolves2102 View Post
    i just bought my laptop macbook pro 13' and read some battery concern but i haven't find yet about over charging or continue plugging adapter while its already full, and continue working for more than one hour, so its safe for your battery for continued plugging for one hour after it was fully charge, because in cellphone case we cannot over charge it because it will damage the battery
    When the battery is fully charged...the light on the Mag-Safe plug turns from orange to green. When the light is green...no charging is occurring...thus no over-charging is possible.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2013
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    When the battery is fully charged...the light on the Mag-Safe plug turns from orange to green. When the light is green...no charging is occurring...thus no over-charging is possible.

    - Nick
    thanks yeah since its already green meaning full charge, are we still safe to continue plugging for another 1hr or more even if its already full charge?

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,400
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by wolves2102 View Post
    ...are we still safe to continue plugging for another 1hr or more even if its already full charge?
    Yes...that's what I've been saying throughout this thread! Not only is it ok to leave it plugged in for 1 hour...but also for 1 day, 1 week...or whatever duration you desire.

    As I already mentioned...if the Mac-Safe light is green...then no charging is taking place...thus no over-charging can occur.

    As I also mentioned...please read the link in my signature called "Battery". It will provide you with info on how to maintain your battery.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7

    wolfpuppies3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 07, 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    381
    Specs:
    15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11 MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
    To restate what Pigoo3 already said, It is not possible to overcharge your MB, the computer will not allow that to happen.

    My MB Pro remains, for years, plugged in five days per week sitting on my desk at work.

  8. #8

    RadDave's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 20, 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,396
    Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpuppies3 View Post
    To restate what Pigoo3 already said, It is not possible to overcharge your MB, the computer will not allow that to happen.

    My MB Pro remains, for years, plugged in five days per week sitting on my desk at work.
    Hi Wolfpuppies3 - just curious if you follow Apple's recommendation, i.e. that once a month, the battery should be completely discharged and then recharged (same recommendation for the iPad - presumably helps to recalibrate proper battery monitoring).

    I've had my MBP for nearly 2 weeks (have had 3 previous PC laptops so not new to battery knowledge) but just trying to find a 'happy ground' between leaving the 'magsafe power connector' constantly plug vs. partially discharging the battery (I've basically been doing both & will also perform the complete monthly discharge as I do on my iPad).

    So, one last question - if the 'magsafe connector' is left on all of the time (except for an occasional complete discharge/recharge cycle), will the lack of accumulating 'cycles' on the battery prolong its life? Thanks all for your comments - Dave

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. mac stoped charging from mag safe and now wont turn on
    By alexrowandavies in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM
  2. New battery, new charger, but battery not charging?
    By carpenterken in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 02:52 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 05:55 AM
  4. Charging battery
    By ksplitt in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
  5. Help! - New Battery is Not Charging
    By jwschmidt in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •