Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2012
    Posts
    1
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?
    I've heard the Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. Anybody have great experiences with others?

  2. #2
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2011
    Posts
    751
    Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcSense View Post
    I've heard the Sandisk Extreme is pretty good. Anybody have great experiences with others?
    For the best go with OWC macsales.com
    top category is samsung, intel, crucial

  3. #3
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2010
    Posts
    50
    I literally just installed a Crucial 256GB SSD from Amazon into my brand new 2012 MacBook Pro, and it works amazingly. Highly recommended.

  4. #4
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?
    scottmcp432's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2010
    Location
    Midland Texas
    Posts
    113
    Specs:
    mid '09 13" MBP 2.53 C2D, 8Gb RAM, 250 Gb HD, SL and Win7
    Crucial M4 is one of, if not the most reliable, SSD's available. Avoid SSD's that use the Sandforce controller. Some older SSD's with the Sandforce controller have had serious issues reported. I purchased an OCZ Vertex 3(Sandforce) for the OS in my gaming build and was fortunate that it came with updated firmware which is supposed to avoid the problems inherent with the older firmware. Newer SSD's use the Marvell controller and that is what you should look for in whatever you go with. Some new SSD's are using a new controller (I forget the name) but I cannot recommend what to me is unproven tech for an OS drive.

  5. #5
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Jun 18, 2012
    Posts
    40
    Someone on here said SSD's are hard to erase data. Is that true?

  6. #6
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2009
    Posts
    2,109
    Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    For erasing difficulty see : PSA: SSDs Are Difficult To Securely Erase (Update: Well, They Can Be) | TechCrunch . There are other articles on the matter as well, the issue is old technology doesn't work so well for wiping ssd. There are some new software and techniques available but to me still safer to keep rather then give out

  7. #7
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Jun 18, 2012
    Posts
    40
    Thumbs down
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    For erasing difficulty see : PSA: SSDs Are Difficult To Securely Erase (Update: Well, They Can Be) | TechCrunch . There are other articles on the matter as well, the issue is old technology doesn't work so well for wiping ssd. There are some new software and techniques available but to me still safer to keep rather then give out
    So it's not easy to erase? And you won't tell us how?? Makes me think SSD is not the way to go

  8. #8
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2009
    Posts
    2,109
    Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    "I won't tell us how?"

    It's not a matter of "I" it's a matter of there are several articles on different techniques, but I haven't tested to see how well those techniques work. My current solution that I feel most comfortable with is to not release used SSD devices (this includes thumb drives, SD Cards, etc.) - With the prices of things falling, I don't really see an issue with this myself (I can always find another use for the drives). But, don't make any mistake - I didn't write that article and I have nothing to do with TechCrunch or any of the other groups that have tested SSD erasing, I am only bringing the information.
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)

  9. #9
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
    So it's not easy to erase? And you won't tell us how?? Makes me think SSD is not the way to go
    I think your reaction is a bit extreme. If you don't intend to sell the drive to someone else, then you haven't much to worry about. I can guarantee you that I'd find lots of simple ways to render the drive useless if I needed to dispose of it - most of which involve a hammer - and I'm quite certain nothing would be extracted from it.

    But if you're buying it to use it yourself, then be aware that you can erase it to your heart's content - what the article is concerned with is forensic retrieval of data that was thought to have been removed. So yeah, if you're expecting a government agency to kick in your door at any moment and do analysis on your computers, then it may be a concern - but frankly, it would be of concern on a normal HDD too.

    It takes time and deliberate focus to securely erase data in a way that keeps it from being forensically extracted - and that's true of any storage medium.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  10. #10
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?

    Member Since
    Jun 18, 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I think your reaction is a bit extreme. If you don't intend to sell the drive to someone else, then you haven't much to worry about. I can guarantee you that I'd find lots of simple ways to render the drive useless if I needed to dispose of it - most of which involve a hammer - and I'm quite certain nothing would be extracted from it.

    But if you're buying it to use it yourself, then be aware that you can erase it to your heart's content - what the article is concerned with is forensic retrieval of data that was thought to have been removed. So yeah, if you're expecting a government agency to kick in your door at any moment and do analysis on your computers, then it may be a concern - but frankly, it would be of concern on a normal HDD too.

    It takes time and deliberate focus to securely erase data in a way that keeps it from being forensically extracted - and that's true of any storage medium.
    Here's my concern..

    People who purchased the retina or other computer with SSD. Plan to keep for few years, then sell and get the best next thing. I think they would be worried the person they sold it could find their personal info on the SSD

  11. #11
    What is the best SSD for a Macbook?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_ View Post
    Here's my concern..

    People who purchased the retina or other computer with SSD. Plan to keep for few years, then sell and get the best next thing. I think they would be worried the person they sold it could find their personal info on the SSD
    That's a good point - and one I hadn't thought of. That's yet another reason why proprietary, and permanently affixed storage solutions in computers could be a very bad thing indeed.

    I think I'll be sticking with notebook models where I can easily interchange the storage device.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrading Macbook (SSD or H-SSD)
    By zealousalien in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 04:24 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
  3. Macbook Air/Retina Flash Storage vs Macbook Pro SSD
    By luc182 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 03:01 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •