Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    723
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    I have a question, a silly one, and wondering if someone can advise...

    I'm looking at picking up a MacBook of some sorts, either an Air or a Pro, but I have one question regarding the storage:-

    On the Apple website, it states that the Air comes with "Flash storage". If I was to buy the pro, I would upgrade the HDD to a Solid State Drive, as I don't need oodles of space due to me storing the majority of my gumpf on the iMac.

    Anyway, is there a difference between "Flash Storage" and a SSD? If so, which is faster/better/more reliable?

    Both the models I've priced up, are in the same ball park, so just want to clarify the difference.

    TLDR; What's the difference between SSD and "Flash Storage"?

    Cheers, folks!
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  2. #2
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Flash storage is SSD. They are the same thing, just different terms to say the same thing.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  3. #3
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    723
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Cheers, Stretch! I thought that would be the case...

    Now, why does Apple insist on confusing morons such as myself by using all these fancy phrases?!
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  4. #4
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage

    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2012
    Posts
    152
    As stated Flash storage is SSD. But in the Air it is not a typical SSD like you would buy from a reseller or manufacturer. It is actually just the Flash chips without case or typical/normal connectors as you find on all SATA devices. That is why you can never upgrade it. Same for the RAM. It is not the type that you can replace. Both are built into the motherboard in some way.

    For that reason I would never buy a Mac Air.
    Although I just looked at the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. But I doubt I will be buying one.

  5. #5
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    As stated Flash storage is SSD. But in the Air it is not a typical SSD like you would buy from a reseller or manufacturer. It is actually just the Flash chips without case or typical/normal connectors as you find on all SATA devices. That is why you can never upgrade it. Same for the RAM. It is not the type that you can replace. Both are built into the motherboard in some way.

    For that reason I would never buy a Mac Air.
    Although I just looked at the new Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook. But I doubt I will be buying one.
    No, the 2010, 2011 model MacBook Airs can have the SSD upgraded. Only the original versions of the Air have the SSD on the logic board. OWC offers replacement SSDs for the current generation Airs.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  6. #6
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage

    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2012
    Posts
    46
    SSD in Air and Pro
    In comparing pure speed, which would be faster?

    a) Macbook Air 13 i7 1.8Ghz 256GB "flash drive"
    or
    b) Macbook Pro 15 i7 quadcore 2.2 Ghz where I replace the 5400 RPM drive with a 256 GB SSD

    Thanks
    JPH
    MacBook Pro 17: 2.5 Ghz, 8GB RAM/1 TB, Anti-Glare
    MacBook 1.1Ghz/8 GB RAM/256 GB,
    iPad3, iPhone 6+ Verizon,

  7. #7
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by JPH675 View Post
    In comparing pure speed, which would be faster?

    a) Macbook Air 13 i7 1.8Ghz 256GB "flash drive"
    or
    b) Macbook Pro 15 i7 quadcore 2.2 Ghz where I replace the 5400 RPM drive with a 256 GB SSD

    Thanks
    Depends on the flash drive.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  8. #8
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage

    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2012
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by JPH675 View Post
    In comparing pure speed, which would be faster?

    a) Macbook Air 13 i7 1.8Ghz 256GB "flash drive"
    or
    b) Macbook Pro 15 i7 quadcore 2.2 Ghz where I replace the 5400 RPM drive with a 256 GB SSD

    Thanks
    You're kidding right?

    You have to ask this question?

    A Quad Core CPU that runs faster the the Dual Core CPU and you can't figure that out. The Flash Apple uses in the Air is no different, except possibly slower, then all other Flash SSDs.

    So which one do you think is faster?

  9. #9
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,485
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootist View Post
    You're kidding right?

    You have to ask this question?

    A Quad Core CPU that runs faster the the Dual Core CPU and you can't figure that out. The Flash Apple uses in the Air is no different, except possibly slower, then all other Flash SSDs.

    So which one do you think is faster?
    Careful now...let's "play" nice. Each person has different levels of "tech-savviness". What's obvious to one person...is "foggy" to another.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #10
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    723
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Thanks for the somewhat, conflicting advice - I think I'm gonna go for the MBP with 128GB SSD, as although I think 4GB RAM would be more than sufficient for what I would be using the Air for, for a very similar price I could get the MBP, which I feel would be more future proof due to the ability to bump up the RAM.

    Muchos gracias.
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  11. #11
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,765
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
    Thanks for the somewhat, conflicting advice - I think I'm gonna go for the MBP with 128GB SSD, as although I think 4GB RAM would be more than sufficient for what I would be using the Air for, for a very similar price I could get the MBP, which I feel would be more future proof due to the ability to bump up the RAM.

    Muchos gracias.
    Another alternative is to get the MBP with standard HDD, then purchase SSD and Data-doubler from OWC and swap out HDD for Superdrive. Will follow up with link on OWC components.

    Data-doubler $70 USD
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

    120 GB SSD $178 USD
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX3G120/

    External Case for your Old Superdrive $40 USD
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...g/VLSS9TOPTU2/

    Total Cost: $288 USD
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  12. #12
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    723
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    That's awesome! Thanks, Razor! - I tried to give you rep, but I need to spread it around a bit first!

    Couple last questions, before I take the plunge, if I may?

    Can I use an OEM version of Windows with Bootcamp? Or does it have to be 'normal' version, if you catch my drift? Purchased and fully legit, of course.
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  13. #13
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,765
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckoir View Post
    That's awesome! Thanks, Razor! - I tried to give you rep, but I need to spread it around a bit first!

    Couple last questions, before I take the plunge, if I may?

    Can I use an OEM version of Windows with Bootcamp? Or does it have to be 'normal' version, if you catch my drift? Purchased and fully legit, of course.
    That one I don't know the answer to. I don't voluntarily run Windows on any of my computers. But, I suspect you have to have a retail version (could be wrong, someone else will have to answer that).
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  14. #14
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage
    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    723
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Ahh okay no worries, once I've got the MacBook I'll look into that!

    Woooo! Just purchased it! 6 months after getting an iMac, I've now got a MBP...

    Oh one last question, I promise... Do OWC ship overseas?!

    Many thanks, you've been a star!
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  15. #15
    Brain fart regarding MacBook storage

    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2011
    Posts
    751
    Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    "If I was to buy the pro, I would upgrade the HDD to a Solid State Drive, as I don't need oodles of space due to me storing the majority of my gumpf on the iMac."
    just curious will just install the 128gb ssd good enough ? since you are not going to use that much space in the mbp,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple, RIM Agree: No More Fart Apps
    By the8thark in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-06-2010, 08:47 AM
  2. Brain fart, What is the name of that program?
    By KoDorSean in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •