Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?

    Member Since
    Feb 17, 2011
    Posts
    32
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?
    Hey guys,

    I normally leave me mac on almost 24/7.

    however when i do shut it down i notice that lion takes forever to boot especially if i have it restart me apps which is understandable.

    When its just the OS, it takes 1:30. When i had snow leopard installed on the same machine it would take 27 seconds to come up.

    I have made sure no apps are starting at login, have all the latest updates, and repaired disk permissions.

    Its a 2011 mbp 2.2 quad core i7 with 8gb of ram and a 500gb at 7200rpm

    I feel that is should be much faster than this, also noticed that my windows 7 partition boot in under a minute as well.

    what could be causing this? and anything i can do improve it.

  2. #2
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,757
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Unfortunately, Lion is kind of a pig when it comes to boot times. Assuming you've already checked Login items to make sure no apps are set to auto-start (System Preferences => Users & Groups => Your account name => Login Items tab), my next inclination would be to look at /Library/StartupItems. You may also want to check the Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console) to see if there are any repeating errors during startup.

    Or, you could just get in the habit of not rebooting. OS X is based on BSD, so it's designed to run 24/7/365. There's rarely ever any need to do a real reboot.

    And finally, you could upgrade your hard disk to an SSD. My lesser-specced MBP boots in a little less than 15 seconds.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?

    Member Since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Posts
    13
    Question
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    You may also want to check the Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console) to see if there are any repeating errors during startup.
    Hi, I have many errors showing in the console. How can be repaired?

    Thanks for your reply!

    3

  4. #4
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,757
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
    Hi, I have many errors showing in the console. How can be repaired?

    Thanks for your reply!

    3
    It depends on the error. Each one will need to be researched and addressed individually (unless they are duplicates). Google is your friend.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?

    Member Since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Posts
    13
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    It depends on the error. Each one will need to be researched and addressed individually (unless they are duplicates). Google is your friend.
    Thank you very much for the fast reply. I'm too new at Mac to figure out how to search for that in Google. I have, for example many errors from Photoshop and Aperture, among others, which I don't understand. For example, this error:


    01/05/12 10:50:27,399 [0x0-0x4d04d].com.adobe.Photoshop: May 1 10:50:27 Martin.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[1058] <Error>: CGContextSetAllowsAntialiasing: invalid context 0x0

    Should I look for the whole phrase or for some specific words. If so, which one/s?

    Thank you

  6. #6
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,757
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
    Thank you very much for the fast reply. I'm too new at Mac to figure out how to search for that in Google. I have, for example many errors from Photoshop and Aperture, among others, which I don't understand. For example, this error:


    01/05/12 10:50:27,399 [0x0-0x4d04d].com.adobe.Photoshop: May 1 10:50:27 Martin.local Adobe Photoshop CS6[1058] <Error>: CGContextSetAllowsAntialiasing: invalid context 0x0

    Should I look for the whole phrase or for some specific words. If so, which one/s?

    Thank you
    Just take the whole line and put it in Google. You may want to prune it by removing the date stamps and machine name (martin.local), which are specific to you.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?

    Member Since
    Feb 10, 2011
    Posts
    13
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Just take the whole line and put it in Google. You may want to prune it by removing the date stamps and machine name (martin.local), which are specific to you.
    Thank you very much for the tip! I have done that and found that, in order to fix these errors I have to know programming Is there a way for newbies or I just have to accept those errors ^^

  8. #8
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?

    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2011
    Posts
    751
    Specs:
    mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Unfortunately, Lion is kind of a pig when it comes to boot times. Assuming you've already checked Login items to make sure no apps are set to auto-start (System Preferences => Users & Groups => Your account name => Login Items tab), my next inclination would be to look at /Library/StartupItems. You may also want to check the Console logs (Applications => Utilities => Console) to see if there are any repeating errors during startup.

    Or, you could just get in the habit of not rebooting. OS X is based on BSD, so it's designed to run 24/7/365. There's rarely ever any need to do a real reboot.

    And finally, you could upgrade your hard disk to an SSD. My lesser-specced MBP boots in a little less than 15 seconds.
    Agreed with you SSD is the way to boot up your mbp fast. No doubts.

  9. #9
    Lion start up time?? how to improve?
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,390
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    For that error, it appears that it can be caused by certain Photoshop plugins (see here). Remove or disable any plugins and see if that helps.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Time Machine from Lion to Mountain Lion after my iMac goes BANG!
    By Liam in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •