Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?

    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    I posted in the official I spilled liquid but I thought I would put a post up since I assume people wont look there unless they have the same issue (Here's the story quoted from my other post)

    Thought I would share my story with you guys since it seems I am the luckiest person in the world.

    First off I was having worst luck lately (crashed car, gf broke up with me, university messing my classes up, 2 year old nephew pooped in my bed-put it outside to bleach-it rained-matress ruined) and then 5 days ago I was looking for something on my bed and there was a SOLO cup full of water on my bed...just someone (maybe me) decided it was a good idea to balance in on the bed. My macbook was there, plugged in, shut, in sleep mode. Well a bit later I noticed my bed was soaking.....

    Opened macbook, pressed power button...Caps Lock button goes green but no start, press power AGAIN, same thing...plug into charger again and press power, bam....hear clicking from the macbook.

    Tried to play stupid with Apple store but obviously they could tell and boy did I put up a fight with them. My macbook was Early 2011 15", I got quoted $1250 to fix it. Ended up buying a new Macbook 15".....

    Hard-drive on my other one was fine, so I transfered all my data fine to my new macbook....well about 8 hours ago I was searching on ebay and getting ready to try out one of these repair people....but I decided to open my old macbook up and take a closer look...thought, what the ****, apple marked it as water damaged so no warranty and its probably fried....

    Took the logic board out, and the DC adapter (which clearly showed some liquid goo) out, dumped them in isopropyl 70% and switched on my electronic tooth brush and went around the whole board, I blew on it to dry it...plugged everything back in....and tada!

    Everything is working...for now.

    Any opinions on if it'll last? Wondering if I should keep my new MacBook Pro, I mostly use it for gaming and my new one has the 1GB video memory compared to my old 256mb.

    (I really hope this is a sign of my luck turning around!.....or I just jinxed it? )

  2. #2
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,489
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineOne View Post
    Any opinions on if it'll last?
    It's absolutely impossible to predict whether your MacBook will continue to world or not...we have no crystal ball that predicts the future. You've already gotten VERY lucky to get it working again after the spill...so consider yourself fortunate so far!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?

    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    It's absolutely impossible to predict whether your MacBook will continue to world or not...we have no crystal ball that predicts the future. You've already gotten VERY lucky to get it working again after the spill...so consider yourself fortunate so far!

    - Nick
    I Know.

    If it works fine for a week straight am I in the clear? Or does (could have) had some issue that would shorten the life span?

  4. #4
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,489
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineOne View Post
    I Know.

    If it works fine for a week straight am I in the clear? Or does (could have) had some issue that would shorten the life span?
    It's really hard to say. Firstly..."dumping" everything in 70% isopropyl alcohol was an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE idea!!! So who knows what sort of trouble this may cause.

    But...if you got it to work that's a positive sign...and just consider yourself lucky every time it comes on!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?

    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    It's really hard to say. Firstly..."dumping" everything in 70% isopropyl alcohol was an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE idea!!! So who knows what sort of trouble this may cause.

    But...if you got it to work that's a positive sign...and just consider yourself lucky every time it comes on!

    - Nick
    I reapplied the thermal paste on all areas just to contribute that I am not a COMPLETE idiot :-( but ya...like I said, i went into it with a "what the ****" attitude. Never expected it to work.

  6. #6
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,271
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Please do not double post. I've removed your duplicate from the Sticky. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,489
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineOne View Post
    I reapplied the thermal paste on all areas just to contribute that I am not a COMPLETE idiot...
    "Dumping" everything in 70% isopropyl alcohol can affect more than just the thermal paste on the heat sink. It wasn't a very good idea...and could potentially have (or did) cause more damage than good.

    If you wanted to "clean" things...you should have just used water...and then dried everything completely before use. Alcohol is a solvent...and "melts/dissolves" almost anything that is plastic or epoxy-based...which there is a lot of in computers.

    Motherboards (or logic boards) are coated in a layer of resin/epoxy which helps to protect the delicate pathways between components from physical damage (scratches) and exposure to the atmosphere (oxidation).

    By "dumping" the logic board into 70% isopropyl alcohol...you may have dissolved some of this protective coating...and you could have damaged anything that is "plastic-based" on the motherboard/logic board.

    - Nick

    p.s. In post #1 you mentioned that a SOLO cup of water was the liquid that was spilled. You also mentioned something about "liquid goo". A water spill would not have caused any "liquid goo" to form. This "liquid goo" could have been the result of exposing everything to the isopropyl alcohol...since the alcohol could have "melted/dissolved" something...causing the "liquid goo" to form.
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?

    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    "Dumping" everything in 70% isopropyl alcohol can affect more than just the thermal paste on the heat sink. It wasn't a very good idea...and could potentially have (or did) cause more damage than good.

    If you wanted to "clean" things...you should have just used water...and then dried everything completely before use. Alcohol is a solvent...and "melts/dissolves" almost anything that is plastic or epoxy-based...which there is a lot of in computers.

    Motherboards (or logic boards) are coated in a layer of resin/epoxy which helps to protect the delicate pathways between components from physical damage (scratches) and exposure to the atmosphere (oxidation).

    By "dumping" the logic board into 70% isopropyl alcohol...you may have dissolved some of this protective coating...and you could have damaged anything that is "plastic-based" on the motherboard/logic board.

    - Nick

    p.s. In post #1 you mentioned that a SOLO cup of water was the liquid that was spilled. You also mentioned something about "liquid goo". A water spill would not have caused any "liquid goo" to form. This "liquid goo" could have been the result of exposing everything to the isopropyl alcohol...since the alcohol could have "melted/dissolved" something...causing the "liquid goo" to form.
    Looks like Ill be keeping my new macbook just in case

    And for the P.S. I was thinking the SAME exact thing, I admit I opened it up before bringing to Apple store and I dont recall the residue being there but it most likely was because it wasn't dried yet. Then they showed me it when I went in to pick it up. I know for a fact it was water that was spilled and I opened it up only to tilt it on the side so air could get in and dry it. The "goo" is now gone after cleaning it however. But ya, Apple "Genius" pointed to the Mag-Safe DC-IN jack and said it was corrosion from liquid spill

    EDIT: So next time (I don't know why I am predicting there will be a next time) I should clean it with just plain water? How about distilled water? Or how about 99% isopropyl (picture is MB in 99%)? And any reccomendations on how to wipe motherboards down? Q-Tips and cotton balls are horrible cause it leaves strains of cotton that get caught on the "chips" or whatever.

    [IMG]http://braineater.kicks-***.tv/misc****e/liquid1.jpg[/IMG] Replace *** with another word for buttocks.

  9. #9
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,489
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineOne View Post
    Looks like Ill be keeping my new macbook just in case

    And for the P.S. I was thinking the SAME exact thing, I admit I opened it up before bringing to Apple store and I dont recall the residue being there but it most likely was because it wasn't dried yet. Then they showed me it when I went in to pick it up. I know for a fact it was water that was spilled and I opened it up only to tilt it on the side so air could get in and dry it. The "goo" is now gone after cleaning it however. But ya, Apple "Genius" pointed to the Mag-Safe DC-IN jack and said it was corrosion from liquid spill
    Hey...we're just having a friendly discussion here...so no worries!

    I only wanted to mention that using alcohol in a manner mentioned in this thread was pretty darn risky! The bottom line is...the MacBook is working. Whether the cleaning contributed to this...or simply drying it out & getting rid of all water may have done it as well.

    Good luck...hopefully the MacBook continues to operate...and operate normally. Please keep us updated on it's condition. We usually don't hear too many positive stories after liquid spills.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #10
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?

    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Hey...we're just having a friendly discussion here...so no worries!

    I only wanted to mention that using alcohol in a manner mentioned in this thread was pretty darn risky! The bottom line is...the MacBook is working. Whether the cleaning contributed to this...or simply drying it out & getting rid of all water may have done it as well.

    Good luck...hopefully the MacBook continues to operate...and operate normally. Please keep us updated on it's condition. We usually don't hear too many positive stories after liquid spills.

    - Nick
    Ya, Im only appreciating the responses because I thought I was pretty tech savvy as I always have built my PC's and done my own repairs but with Desktops I never worried about liquid spills and such, (this MacBook Pro was my first laptop ever and I got it for first year of college, boy was it surprising to everyone I got a Mac because I always showed such hate for them, but .... I .... sorta .... ugh, love my macbook )

    I cant believe how badly I messed up with panicking and trying to turn it on...it's just that I stupidly had no back-ups and the data on here is my life since.

    If everything works out then Im happy this happened as its been a very good learning experience.

    I also added stuff to the post before yours, if you could advise on those questions I would be much grateful.

    -Kai

  11. #11
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,489
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by GenuineOne View Post
    EDIT: So next time (I don't know why I am predicting there will be a next time) I should clean it with just plain water? How about distilled water? Or how about 99% isopropyl (picture is MB in 99%)? And any reccomendations on how to wipe motherboards down? Q-Tips and cotton balls are horrible cause it leaves strains of cotton that get caught on the "chips" or whatever.
    Water is always your first best choice. If you need something "stronger"...then you can try using a very small amount of soap (liquid dish soap is a good choice). I would almost NEVER suggest any kind of alcohol...and I would NEVER suggest "dumping" everything in it!

    99% alcohol would be even worse than 70%...since 99% alcohol is more concentrated...and would do more damage more quickly. I'm not saying that using alcohol to clean cannot (in rare circumstances) be ok to use...but it's usually not a good idea to use alcohol on plastic, rubber, or epoxy coated surfaces. Surfaces like glass or metal can be cleaned with alcohol (if absolutely necessary)...but even then I would suggest water or water + soap first.

    Most people don't need to clean motherboards/logic boards. Usually they just get dusty or fuzzy with dust/dirt...so a shot of compressed air is usually all that's needed. But if some sort of spot cleaning is necessary...a Q-tip is one of the best things to get into tight areas...even though the cotton fibers can get caught on things.

    The "name of the game" is NOT to need to clean a motherboard due to spills!!!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?

    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2012
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Water is always your first best choice. If you need something "stronger"...then you can try using a very small amount of soap (liquid dish soap is a good choice). I would almost NEVER suggest any kind of alcohol...and I would NEVER suggest "dumping" everything in it!

    99% alcohol would be even worse than 70%...since 99% alcohol is more concentrated...and would do more damage more quickly. I'm not saying that using alcohol to clean cannot (in rare circumstances) be a ok to use...but it's usually not a good idea to use alcohol on plastic, rubber, epoxy coated surfaces. Surfaces like glass or metal can be cleaned with alcohol (if absolutely necessary)...but even then I would suggest water or water + soap first.

    Most people don't need to clean motherboards/logic boards. Usually that just get dusty or fuzzy with dust/dirt...so a shot of compressed air is usually all that's needed. BUt if some sort of spot cleaning is necessary...a Q-tip is one of the best things to get into tight areas...even though the cotton fibers can get caught on things.

    The "name of the game" is NOT to need to clean a motherboard due to spills!!!

    - Nick
    You got that right!

    Ill shoot you a PM in a week to let you kno what happens with the macbook, meanwhile maybe Ill see you around other parts of the forums

  13. #13
    Liquid Damage - Life Estimate?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,271
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Nick is right on target with his advice about cleaning printed circuit boards. Having worked in the computer repair business for years and electronic repair, the recommended cleaning for PC boards was to (in the absence of a professional cleaning station) use a common home dishwasher. Mild detergent, and warm (not hot) water.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. liquid damage- WHY
    By stressed2themax in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 02:00 PM
  2. Restoration of MB with liquid damage
    By jbd713 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2012, 01:46 PM
  3. Liquid damage
    By rizzo1987 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 11:45 PM
  4. Did I Cause Liquid Damage?
    By War in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2011, 04:47 PM
  5. Will liquid damage appear later?
    By Winescreen! in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 04:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •