Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: new powerbooks?

  1. #1
    new powerbooks?
    Arichards's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    221
    Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
    new powerbooks?
    does anyone know if the rumor of new pb's at the end of the month is true? And if so... does anyone know what kinda stuff they are gonna do to them other than the 30 mhz increase in processor?

  2. #2
    menace3054
    Guest
    i sure hope not, i just bought one... i dont think anyone knows what exactly would be done, but if i had to venture a guess i would say... probably an increase in superdrive speed, increase in standard video ram, and slight processor increase.. probably 1.67 for 12", 1.7 for 15 and 17", possibly a HD screen for 17". i cant really think of what else they could do.. maybe 100gb hd standard on 15"

  3. #3
    new powerbooks?
    Benjamindaines's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    Location
    A religiously oppressed state
    Posts
    2,789
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    i sure hope not, i just bought one... i dont think anyone knows what exactly would be done, but if i had to venture a guess i would say... probably an increase in superdrive speed, increase in standard video ram, and slight processor increase.. probably 1.67 for 12", 1.7 for 15 and 17", possibly a HD screen for 17". i cant really think of what else they could do.. maybe 100gb hd standard on 15"
    Maybe Back-Lit Keyboard on the 12"

    PS Signature Version 2.0

  4. #4
    sursuciofla
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    i sure hope not, i just bought one... i dont think anyone knows what exactly would be done, but if i had to venture a guess i would say... probably an increase in superdrive speed, increase in standard video ram, and slight processor increase.. probably 1.67 for 12", 1.7 for 15 and 17", possibly a HD screen for 17". i cant really think of what else they could do.. maybe 100gb hd standard on 15"
    If what you said does turn out to be true then it looks like the Power Mac and iMac will be the first to see the Intel transition. If they did update the Powerbook that much it is only logical. I think the update will only be minor just like the ibook though. I seriously doubt 128vram but I only think that would happen on the 15" and not the 12". And I would bet money that no HD is coming this update either. They will do away with the standard combo 15" I assume as well. Tough to say what will happen though but anything can happen I guess. Who knows!

  5. #5
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sursuciofla
    If what you said does turn out to be true then it looks like the Power Mac and iMac will be the first to see the Intel transition. If they did update the Powerbook that much it is only logical. I think the update will only be minor just like the ibook though. I seriously doubt 128vram but I only think that would happen on the 15" and not the 12". And I would bet money that no HD is coming this update either. They will do away with the standard combo 15" I assume as well. Tough to say what will happen though but anything can happen I guess. Who knows!

    i hope thats the only upgrades because then i wont feel so bad! but realistically i cant see what else they could do.. we shall see

  6. #6
    new powerbooks?
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Arichards
    does anyone know if the rumor of new pb's at the end of the month is true?
    By the very definition of the word, regardless of whether it comes to fruition or not.....a rumor is never true, since it cannot be verified.
    :black:
    Quote Originally Posted by The American HeritageŽ Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
    ruˇmor
    n.
    A piece of unverified information of uncertain origin usually spread by word of mouth.
    Unverified information received from another; hearsay.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  7. #7
    lil
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
    By the very definition of the word, regardless of whether it comes to fruition or not.....a rumor is never true, since it cannot be verified.
    :black:
    The current G4 used in the PowerBooks is the Freescale (erstwhile Motorola) 7447, which tops out at 1.67GHz and is suitable for small enclosures such as a notebook. There is a new variant known as the 7448 which apparently has a 2GHz upper limit and is suitable for small enclosures.

    However whether Apple 'bothers' is another matter. One thing I am quite sure of is Apple upgrading the base memory on the 12" PowerBooks inline with the iBook, instead of 256, moving up to 512MB.

    Other changes may be limited to higher screen resolutions on the 15 and 17" models is possible, but again - I cannot see it happening. The Superdrives may have their speeds boosted. Essentially any upgrade will be small.

    As for moving to Intel, going by what happened in 1994 with move from Motorola 680x0 to IBM/Motorola PowerPC, it was the consumer machines, the Performas that received the PPC 601 first before the Quadras were placed with the Power Macintosh series - these machines holding the flagship now held by the PowerMac G5. One reason likely is that Apple preferred consumer machines to have teething issues opposed to professional machines which are more 'mission critical'.

    In terms of PowerBooks, if the PowerBook 5300* was anything to go by - might be worth hanging on for the PowerBooks with Intel to mature

    Therefore, I expect the Mac mini's will be one of the first to jump over, with the eMacs possibly. The iMac I am not sure, but will likely follow a few months later. The iBook and PowerBook will probably follow soon thereafter, but this is hard to judge because in 1994 there wasn't a specific consumer notebook from Apple (bar the 145/150 series, the latter coming along in 1995) like there is now. As much as the PowerBook will look better spec wise for a speed bump, it depends on how confident Apple is with OS X's stability on Intel, and if they are erring on the side of caution - the iBook will probably get the revision first. It is most likely IMO that the PowerMac will be the last to jump.

    Of course not of this is official but my own speculation based on the previous CPU change. Of course some of my colleagues here at the AppleCentre I work in disagree with me. But until end of May 2006, we won't know for definite! :flower:

    Vicky

    * The 5300 was a great laptop on paper but very unstable in its early days being one of the first PowerPC 601 based PowerBooks released by Apple.

  8. #8
    new powerbooks?
    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Steve meationed in his expo talk that all of the lower end Apple hardware would receive the Intel CPU first. I would assume that is the consumer line. I believe that the iMac and the Power line will receive the Intel CPUs when the 64bit processors are ready. I really don't think Apple is going back to the 32bit chip in the iMac and the PowerMac.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

  9. #9
    new powerbooks?
    Arichards's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    221
    Specs:
    Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamindaines
    Maybe Back-Lit Keyboard on the 12"

    PS Signature Version 2.0
    that would be nice!

  10. #10
    MightyMac
    Guest
    re new powerbook, according to this arrticle: no. take it or leave it?

    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509g5.html

  11. #11
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMac
    re new powerbook, according to this arrticle: no. take it or leave it?

    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509g5.html

    well that article made my day i hope its true... yay no new powerbooks

  12. #12
    menace3054
    Guest
    mac buyers guide posted a new article this morning saying "new powebooks imminent?
    " they then go on to say that their source is less reliable than think secret, who has stated that no new pbs will be rolling out until 06. so as of now i have no clue, either apple did a **** of a job keeping the update quiet, or there is no update. hopefully its the latter

  13. #13
    Jonster
    Guest
    i really hope they don't get an update on another powerbook because i literally just got one last month and to find out that they made revisions and my new powerbook is not so new would be a very strong disappointment. i actually may in fact cry.

  14. #14
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonster
    i really hope they don't get an update on another powerbook because i literally just got one last month and to find out that they made revisions and my new powerbook is not so new would be a very strong disappointment. i actually may in fact cry.
    i literally got mine last week

  15. #15
    new powerbooks?
    sevenhelmet's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 12, 2005
    Location
    Ridgecrest, CA
    Posts
    539
    Specs:
    Aluminum Macbook 2.4Ghz; Powermac G5 2.3Ghz dual
    I was under the impression that the new Intel chip was being developed specifically for mobile platforms, such as the iBook and Powerbook. When the intel switch was first announced, as I recall, they said it intel would be put the laptops, then the consumer desktops (mini, iMac, eMac), and then finally the Power Mac.
    "Luck favors the prepared"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The last of the G4 Powerbooks
    By Redbrick in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 08:30 AM
  2. New Powerbooks
    By gunnerjoe in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
  3. Well the New Powerbooks are out
    By bigchuckdiesel in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM
  4. G5 Powerbooks?
    By dr_fop in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:06 AM
  5. When will the next PowerBooks come out?
    By Raven in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •