Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Superdrive problem

    Member Since
    May 26, 2011
    Posts
    2
    Superdrive problem
    I have a MBP mid-2009, and My SuperDrive is broken. Also, I would like to restore my MacBook Pro for other reasons. What should I do about the broken SuperDrive which works a bit sporadically, but fails the large majority of the time? And, can I use my external Lacie disk drive to restore my MacBook Pro with my snow leopard disk? My LaCie drive does work with my MacBook Pro, and plays DVDs etc. Will it mess my computer up if I try and restore my computer using the external drive?

    By the way, there was no additional software needed to use my massť with my MacBook Pro.


    thank you.

  2. #2
    Superdrive problem
    thurstmw's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 29, 2010
    Location
    BoCo
    Posts
    295
    Specs:
    13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
    OSX should install no problem from an external drive.

    You can by superdrives for about 50bucks online if you want to try to replace yours.

    Yes that is a grizzlycorn

  3. #3
    Superdrive problem
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,066
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    To restore it go to OWC and get a replacement internal Superdrive as it keeps the value of your computer high and of course if you want to use BootCamp, must have internal optical drive to install.


    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/superdrive/MacBook_13
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  4. #4
    Superdrive problem

    Member Since
    May 26, 2011
    Posts
    2
    I realize that I will have to get it replaced at some point, but without going to an apple store, should I be able to reinstall snow leopard using my external drive?

  5. #5
    Superdrive problem
    thurstmw's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 29, 2010
    Location
    BoCo
    Posts
    295
    Specs:
    13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
    Quote Originally Posted by rjreptile View Post
    I realize that I will have to get it replaced at some point, but without going to an apple store, should I be able to reinstall snow leopard using my external drive?
    Yes not a problem

    Yes that is a grizzlycorn

  6. #6
    Superdrive problem
    wheelguy12's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2011
    Posts
    157
    85% of all electronic failures are the connector (the other 15% are the power supply). To fix your superdrive, pop the cover and unplug - replug in its connector. Check out the many youtube videos that show you how to get to the connector.
    2011 MacBook Pro 13" i5, 8/300 gig 27" + 23" disp

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. superdrive problem
    By artemiscon in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 09:39 PM
  2. superdrive problem
    By artemiscon in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 01:55 PM
  3. Superdrive problem
    By SJTV1 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM
  4. problem with superdrive
    By djflair1 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 06:21 PM
  5. SuperDrive problem
    By latintrpt in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •