Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)
    Hello all. I'm a proud owner of a New MacBook Pro 13inch that I bought today. I got a good deal so I couldnt pass it up. I'm new to the Mac world and will be coming here to assistance and I will return the favor as well once I get more familar with my MacBook Pro. I have a problem or dont know what I'm doing right. I'm trying to connect my 24inch Monitor that is HDMI to the new Mini display port on my Macbook Pro called "Thunderbolt" aka Light Peak but I just get a blue flash on my MacBook screen and my monitor will bo black. I have no problmes with My PC with the monitor but that is HDMI to DVI . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to use my monitor with my MacBook Pro. Oh I forgot to tell you that I purchased the HDMI to mini Display adapter from the Apple store. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    any suggestions? Help would be appreciated!

  3. #3
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 28, 2011
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by bobenhaus View Post
    any suggestions? Help would be appreciated!
    I had the same problem when i just bought my mac 6 months ago, I think its called drag an drop. So when you plug in mini display port to monitor is you mac screen still on? if so whatever window you want displayed on the monitor, what you do is you drag the window all the way to the right an the window should get displayed on the monitor. Hope this helps if you have anymore ? lmk an ill help you the best I can.

  4. #4
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    RE: New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to THunderbolt issue)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_GOSE View Post
    I had the same problem when i just bought my mac 6 months ago, I think its called drag an drop. So when you plug in mini display port to monitor is you mac screen still on? if so whatever window you want displayed on the monitor, what you do is you drag the window all the way to the right an the window should get displayed on the monitor. Hope this helps if you have anymore ? lmk an ill help you the best I can.
    I've tried what you suggested and had no success. My MacBook Pro can detect the monitor via HDMI to mindisplay port (Thunderbolt) because I can see two screen under preferences. "Color LCD" and "H243H" my monitor and all the different resolutions and mirror options etc.. I even moved the display boxes to the left, right,up and down and still no luck. Help!! Thanks!

  5. #5
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Try some different resolutions for the external monitor.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  6. #6
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Try some different resolutions for the external monitor.

    I've noticed not all my resolutions for my 24inch monitor is not showing up. I wonder if it could be the HDMI to mini displayport that is causing the problem? I use HDMI to DVI with my pc on the same monitor and have no problems at all. What doyou guys think?

  7. #7
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Mar 01, 2011
    Posts
    3
    I'm having the same issue. New Macbook Pro 13". I have a mini-displayport to DVI port. I plug in my monitor to it and it does show as an option in the list (brand name and resolutions it can show seem to be detected correctly) but the monitor itself stays asleep. I cannot seem it wake it. I rebooted the laptop with it connected but still no joy. It can see but not drive it for some reason...

    I am using a Neet (it think) cable I got from amazon, but it should be the same as the apple one. I am also using an adaptor to turn my monitor VGA output into a DVI one. I do this on my PC and old Mac Mini without issue. The Macbook doenst seem to want to play though

  8. #8
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by iaingblack View Post
    I'm having the same issue. New Macbook Pro 13". I have a mini-displayport to DVI port. I plug in my monitor to it and it does show as an option in the list (brand name and resolutions it can show seem to be detected correctly) but the monitor itself stays asleep. I cannot seem it wake it. I rebooted the laptop with it connected but still no joy. It can see but not drive it for some reason...

    I am using a Neet (it think) cable I got from amazon, but it should be the same as the apple one. I am also using an adaptor to turn my monitor VGA output into a DVI one. I do this on my PC and old Mac Mini without issue. The Macbook doenst seem to want to play though
    Yeah same issue for me. I was thinking about buying a DVI to min displayport and see if that will fix the issue. Please advise.

  9. #9
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Mar 01, 2011
    Posts
    3
    I've no idea if an apple one will fix it to be honest. Interestingly, when plugged in the screen seems available, i can move the mouse and a windows i'm dragging off screen as expected. But, the monitor is dead. I think it is the adaptor, bit reluctant to spend 25 to find out on top of the 12 i've alredy spent!

    EDIT - It might be that because both my monitors i've tested are VGA style connection instead of DVI native. Is yours the same? I may take my macbook to work tomorrow to test.

  10. #10
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    iaingblack:

    If the connection on your monitors are VGA, you cannot use a mini displayport (mdp) to DVI adapter. That adapter puts out a digital only signal, while VGA is analog. Those small little DVI/VGA adapters we all used when DVI first came out will not solve this issue.

    You need the mdp to VGA adapter to get an analog output from your Mac and a standard VGA cable.


    bobenhaus:

    try turning stuff on in different orders.
    Mac, then TV.
    TV, then Mac.

    If you have a DVI port, I would go that route instead of HDMI.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  11. #11
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    May 17, 2010
    Location
    Vicenza, Italy
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    MBP 15" 320 GB Intel dual core - 4GB ram
    i have the same issue on my SOy Bravia TV every time I connct it with a HDMI cable, all I do is ope system preferences, go to Displays and click on DETECT DISPLAYS on the bottom right, that instantly "wakes up" the TV and it works every time. I started having this issue a couple months ago, and it happens on my wife's 13" white Macbook. Might be some OSX update that caused it...

  12. #12
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by iaingblack View Post
    I've no idea if an apple one will fix it to be honest. Interestingly, when plugged in the screen seems available, i can move the mouse and a windows i'm dragging off screen as expected. But, the monitor is dead. I think it is the adaptor, bit reluctant to spend 25 to find out on top of the 12 i've alredy spent!

    EDIT - It might be that because both my monitors i've tested are VGA style connection instead of DVI native. Is yours the same? I may take my macbook to work tomorrow to test.
    My monitor has all 3 connections hdmi,vga and DVI right now. I'm using hdmi to dvi for my pc and trying to use the same for my new Macobook pro . Please advise. Thanks alot guys for all your help.

  13. #13
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Feb 27, 2011
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    iaingblack:

    If the connection on your monitors are VGA, you cannot use a mini displayport (mdp) to DVI adapter. That adapter puts out a digital only signal, while VGA is analog. Those small little DVI/VGA adapters we all used when DVI first came out will not solve this issue.

    You need the mdp to VGA adapter to get an analog output from your Mac and a standard VGA cable.


    bobenhaus:

    try turning stuff on in different orders.
    Mac, then TV.
    TV, then Mac.

    If you have a DVI port, I would go that route instead of HDMI.
    I'm using hdmi to dvi for my pc but on the mac it is hdmi to mini display port. So I dont know what the issue for this to happen. The monitor is being detected and I can see the resoutions but the screen is black. THanks.

  14. #14
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,252
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    I would avoid using the HDMI input as you've been advised. (You're not going to get high definition anyway.) Go back to your local Apple store and exchange that MDP -> HDMI adapter for one that is
    MDP -> DVI. Of course you'll need a DVI cable also (may have been included with your external monitor).

    Forget about what you're using for the PC. I've been thru the same thing and what bobtomay suggested to you works best.

  15. #15
    New MacBook Pro 13inch (HDMI to Thunderbolt issue)

    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thumbs down Same here
    I updated to the new Macbook and get get a signal to my screen.
    mdp - hdmi -> hdmi - dvi -> tft
    this worked fine with the old Macbook but now the screen keeps looking for a signal, the mac found it though.
    Maybe the Thunderbolt pins are not compatible after all...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter for a Macbook Pro?
    By zBernie in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 06:08 AM
  2. MacBook Pro mid 2012 Thunderbolt to HDMI question
    By MrPrimeMinister in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2014, 11:55 PM
  3. 13" Macbook pro hdmi tv output issue
    By jae416 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-05-2012, 06:10 PM
  4. MacBook Pro HDMI Issue
    By flugtoget in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •