Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    AUZambo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 06, 2006
    Posts
    282
    Specs:
    2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    I upgraded the HD in my 2006 MBP in late December from 120 GB to 640 GB (Samsung Spinpoint). At the same time I also upgraded my RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB and I installed and ran Onyx to clean up my computer

    All these things shortened my start-up time from about 2 minutes to about 30 seconds and my computer was performing much better

    In the last week things are starting to slow down considerably. The computer frequently stops to think for about 5 seconds, and start-up time has gone back to about 60-90 seconds. Most of the time it stops to think I'm on the internet changing pages (but that's also my most frequent activity on the computer). Just a few minutes ago I opened up my computer for the first time today and three programs were running. I closed one, and before I could close the other two I got the happy, spinning, beach ball thing. After waiting for about 15-20 seconds it was still there. I tried force-quitting, but the force quit dialogue box wouldn't even open. After waiting several minutes I finally forced a shut down by holding down the power button.

    I have run Onyx again to clean up everything, but that didn't help (I did that a couple of days ago).

    I'm sure there are other things I can try, but I want to hurry up and decide if this is related to the new hard drive because its warranty is almost up (60 days I think).

    If there's something else I can be doing please let me know! It's frustrating to know I put in about $130 worth of upgrades and the benefit (other than HD space) was so short lived.

  2. #2
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Practically all hard drives have 3 yr warranty from the manufacturer and I'd be surprised if Samsung was any less - maybe 60 days to exchange from the seller?

    How much free space do you still have on the OS X partition?
    And how much stuff have you moved on/off the drive?


    A several minute wait though - probably is indicative of a bad drive.
    Been seeing a lot more of this behaviour the last year or two vs what we all came to know as the dreaded clicking sound.

    (Everything I know about Samsung's customer service, I would use the sellers return policy instead of going through Samsung if at all possible.)
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  3. #3
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of memory, 320 GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    There are a few things that I'd recommend trying:

    Reset the PRAM/NVRAM
    1. Shut down your computer.
    2. Press the power button.
    3. Immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R simultaneously.
    4. Wait until your hear the computer chime for a second time and then release the keys.

    For more information on resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, see Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM and When to reset NVRAM or PRAM.

    Perform a disk verification from within Disk Utility
    1. In the Finder, open the Applications folder, and then open the Utilities folder.
    2. Double click on Disk Utility.
    3. Select your disk from the left hand column.
    4. Click on the "First Aid" tab and then click on "Verify Disk".

    For more information on verifying and repairing your disk, see Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks.

    Run the Apple Hardware Test
    Depending on the version of Mac OS X that your computer shipped with, the Apple Hardware Test will either be on the Mac OS X Install DVD or the Applications Install DVD. For more information on how to run the Apple Hardware Test, see Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test.

    Does your hard disk make any noise, such as a faint and repetitive click? Are these 5 second pauses occurring on an interval (for example, every 15 seconds the computer will temporarily stop responding)?
    Kreylonus
    15-inch MacBook Pro:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of memory, 320 GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor, Mac OS X 10.6

  4. #4
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    AUZambo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 06, 2006
    Posts
    282
    Specs:
    2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Practically all hard drives have 3 yr warranty from the manufacturer and I'd be surprised if Samsung was any less - maybe 60 days to exchange from the seller?

    How much free space do you still have on the OS X partition?
    And how much stuff have you moved on/off the drive?


    A several minute wait though - probably is indicative of a bad drive.
    Been seeing a lot more of this behaviour the last year or two vs what we all came to know as the dreaded clicking sound.

    (Everything I know about Samsung's customer service, I would use the sellers return policy instead of going through Samsung if at all possible.)
    Thanks a ton. Yes, I was referring to the seller's return policy (Newegg). I haven't checked into Samsung's warranty.

    I have also noticed a little clicking type sound (forgot about that in the OP) coming from the left speaker....although I wouldn't describe it as clicking. It sounds more like a small piece of paper got caught in the fan and it kinda rattles....like you're blowing through a kazoo.

    Sounds like i need to contact Newegg!

  5. #5
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    I would try at least a little troubleshooting before calling newegg.

    For sure I'd do the verify disk suggested by Kreylonus above and then a repair if it's suggested.

    Next thing I do is restore the drive from my bootable backup (after making sure the backup runs fine and does not exhibit the same issues).
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  6. #6
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    AUZambo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 06, 2006
    Posts
    282
    Specs:
    2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreylonus View Post
    There are a few things that I'd recommend trying:

    Reset the PRAM/NVRAM
    1. Shut down your computer.
    2. Press the power button.
    3. Immediately hold down Command-Option-P-R simultaneously.
    4. Wait until your hear the computer chime for a second time and then release the keys.

    For more information on resetting the PRAM/NVRAM, see Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM and When to reset NVRAM or PRAM.

    Perform a disk verification from within Disk Utility
    1. In the Finder, open the Applications folder, and then open the Utilities folder.
    2. Double click on Disk Utility.
    3. Select your disk from the left hand column.
    4. Click on the "First Aid" tab and then click on "Verify Disk".

    For more information on verifying and repairing your disk, see Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks.

    Run the Apple Hardware Test
    Depending on the version of Mac OS X that your computer shipped with, the Apple Hardware Test will either be on the Mac OS X Install DVD or the Applications Install DVD. For more information on how to run the Apple Hardware Test, see Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test.

    Does your hard disk make any noise, such as a faint and repetitive click? Are these 5 second pauses occurring on an interval (for example, every 15 seconds the computer will temporarily stop responding)?
    Thanks for the suggestions.

    I tried all these last night and the problem is still here. I shut down the computer last night and this morning it took it over a minute and a half to boot, and it's still having to stop periodically to think. I haven't timed the pausing times to look for a pattern, but I don't think there is one. The times I remember it pausing is when I open a new web page or application.

    On a brighter side, I'm not hearing that rattling sound anymore. My guess it was something with the fan.

  7. #7
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,055
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Download and use this little utility:-

    corecode->SMARTReporter


    It will advise you if the drive is on the way out.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  8. #8
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    AUZambo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 06, 2006
    Posts
    282
    Specs:
    2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
    Okay, I've run all the suggestions in this thread to no avail. Is there anything else I can look at or try? I have found that using Chrome or Safari gets rid of the pauses while browsing the internet, so that is obviously a firefox problem (which sucks because I prefer Firefox to both of those).

    The computer is still incredibly slow to load on start-up or restart. Any other suggestions? Here's what it does at certain time intervals during the restart process:

    0-30 seconds: Screen with apple logo
    30-75 seconds: blue screen with black mouse pointer. I can move the curser around during this time.
    75-100 seconds: My desktop background with no icons or menu bar
    100-105 seconds: desktop with icons and menu bar loads

    Keep in mind that as recently as 3 weeks ago it did a complete restart with a loaded desktop in about 35 seconds.

  9. #9
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of memory, 320 GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    A few more questions:

    1. Have you updated or changed any software since or around the time that this issue started to occur (e.g. updated Mac OS X itself).
    2. Do you happen to have Boot Camp configured on your Mac?
    3. Do you have any external devices plugged into your Mac, like a USB keyboard/mouse, external hard disk, etc?
    Kreylonus
    15-inch MacBook Pro:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of memory, 320 GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor, Mac OS X 10.6

  10. #10
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?
    AUZambo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 06, 2006
    Posts
    282
    Specs:
    2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreylonus View Post
    A few more questions:

    1. Have you updated or changed any software since or around the time that this issue started to occur (e.g. updated Mac OS X itself).
    2. Do you happen to have Boot Camp configured on your Mac?
    3. Do you have any external devices plugged into your Mac, like a USB keyboard/mouse, external hard disk, etc?
    1. Installed software for a new wireless printer near New Year's Day and installed Skype last night...but other than that no. I've often wondered if the wireless printer could be the problem, but I installed that near the beginning of January, and it ran fine for several days after that.

    2. No

    3. No

  11. #11
    Are these signs of upcoming hard drive failure?

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of memory, 320 GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
    Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    1. Installed software for a new wireless printer near New Year's Day and installed Skype last night...but other than that no. I've often wondered if the wireless printer could be the problem, but I installed that near the beginning of January, and it ran fine for several days after that.

    2. No

    3. No
    What version of Mac OS X are you running on your MacBook? You can find out by going to the Apple menu and then clicking on "About This Mac".

    Also, have you tried re-installing the latest combo update that corresponds the version of Mac OS X that you are running? The combo updates can be downloaded from Apple - Support - Downloads
    Kreylonus
    15-inch MacBook Pro:
    2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 4 GB of memory, 320 GB hard disk, NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor, Mac OS X 10.6

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hard drive failure - can I use a new one?
    By CowCow339 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 10:48 PM
  2. Hard Drive Failure
    By aubrey in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 08:33 PM
  3. Wanting a 1TB portable hard drive for my upcoming MBP
    By HonestIllusion in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
  4. Signs of a failing hard drive?
    By jhonrox in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 06:16 PM
  5. hard drive failure itunes back on to hard drive
    By al gilliland in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •