Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: i5 or i7?

  1. #1
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    41
    Question i5 or i7?
    I'll be buying a MacBook Pro 15" at the end of October. However, I'm not sure whether to get the i5 or the i7. What I'm planning on doing is using it for iMovie, Final Cut Express, etc; nothing too intensive. I would personally like to get the i5, as it is about $400 cheaper (I'm in South Korea, if that helps any), than the i7. If I buy the i5, and upgrade it to 8GB of RAM, will it be good enough? Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    The i5 will do the job, but with the i7 you are getting the 500GB HD and the 330M with 512 MB over the i5 which has the 330M with 256 MB.
    Always better to buy the best processor and graphics options you can afford, and upgrade the RAM at a later date (if you find that you need to).
    The RAM and HDs are user upgradeable, and it won't void your warranty if you do it, and is cheaper than getting it with Apple.

  3. #3
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2010
    Posts
    6
    If money isn't an issue then go for the i7 definitely.

  4. #4
    i5 or i7?
    TomTomTuning's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 26, 2008
    Location
    Camp Hill, Pa
    Posts
    497
    Specs:
    15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
    If you got the cash for the i7, do that.

    The i7 MBP is a beast! I love mine!
    Now I wish my 27in iMac had an i7... ):

  5. #5
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Any recent computer can do what you are asking but the question is how fast do you want those tasks done? Yes the i7 is faster but is that extra speed worth $400 to you? You might want to search the internet for speed benchmarks between the two processors and see if the extra speed of the i7 is worth it.

    Also adding RAM doesn't make your computer run faster it only keeps it from slowing down due to not having enough RAM. You won't know if you don't have enough RAM until you use your computer for the tasks you have mentioned but as said by others you can always upgrade your RAM later.

  6. #6
    i5 or i7?
    RiDE's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 13, 2006
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas!
    Posts
    3,566
    Specs:
    Mac's
    Get the i7, it will keep you from having buyers remorse (if you can take an extra $400 hit that is).

    My 15" i7 MBP is on the FedEx truck and will be here in less than 2 hours (if the FedEx guy isn't running behind).

  7. #7
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    41
    RE: i5 or i7?
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
    Any recent computer can do what you are asking but the question is how fast do you want those tasks done? Yes the i7 is faster but is that extra speed worth $400 to you? You might want to search the internet for speed benchmarks between the two processors and see if the extra speed of the i7 is worth it.

    Also adding RAM doesn't make your computer run faster it only keeps it from slowing down due to not having enough RAM. You won't know if you don't have enough RAM until you use your computer for the tasks you have mentioned but as said by others you can always upgrade your RAM later.
    Well, I've looked at the benchmarks, and for me, $400 extra for 10-20% better performance isn't worth it. And yes, I do understand about the RAM not making the computer run faster; here in South Korea, it's fairly inexpensive ($190 for 8GB), so I thought I would get it anyway to be on the safe side.

  8. #8
    i5 or i7?
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  9. #9
    i5 or i7?
    Blu3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 15, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Some on the apple forums have reported problems with NuRam cards.

    Try this one instead:

    8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3... (OWC8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC

  10. #10
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu3 View Post
    Some on the apple forums have reported problems with NuRam cards.

    Try this one instead:

    8.0GB (4.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC-8500 DDR3... (OWC8566DDR3S8GP) at OWC
    I don't know what your sources are, but I couldn't find anything about it!

    Regardless, with OWC:
    NewerTech NuRAM Brand Memory (modules, flash)

    * Return for refund within: 30 days
    * Return for replacement within: Lifetime (to original purchaser with original receipt)
    * Restocking Fee: No

  11. #11
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    I don't know what your sources are, but I couldn't find anything about it!

    Regardless, with OWC:
    NewerTech NuRAM Brand Memory (modules, flash)

    * Return for refund within: 30 days
    * Return for replacement within: Lifetime (to original purchaser with original receipt)
    * Restocking Fee: No
    Regarding the RAM, I'm in South Korea. Do you know if the Samsung PC3-8500 RAM is good, or should I wait until January when I am Stateside and buy it from OWC? Thanks for your help!!!

  12. #12
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    I'm not a fan of Samsung, or Toshiba products, but that is just a personal preference, and others may feel otherwise.
    That being said, I would get it from OWC or Crucial, but as stated earlier, I would be waiting to see if you need more RAM once you get your new machine.

  13. #13
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    I'm not a fan of Samsung, or Toshiba products, but that is just a personal preference, and others may feel otherwise.
    That being said, I would get it from OWC or Crucial, but as stated earlier, I would be waiting to see if you need more RAM once you get your new machine.
    Thanks 6string for what you've said about the RAM; I will use the computer for a bit first and see if I need the extra RAM. However, can I get a final word between the i5 and i7? As I stated earlier, it's hard for me to justify paying $400 for a 10-20% increase in processor speed. What are your thoughts on that?

  14. #14
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Sep 09, 2009
    Location
    Down Under :D
    Posts
    5,484
    Specs:
    Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
    It really depends on what you're doing as to where you will see the performance gain.
    The better graphics is also part of the extra $.
    Future proofing is another factor once again.
    You can always upgrade the RAM and HD, where as you can't upgrade the processor or graphics chips.
    For me, if money weren't an issue, also being that here in Oz it's a $600 price difference between the 2.4GHz i5 and the 2.66GHz i7, I certainly would have gone for the i7, even if I didn't need all the power that it packs.
    YouTube - 15 " 2.4 GHz Core i5 vs 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro Boot Up Showdown!
    YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!

  15. #15
    i5 or i7?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2010
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    41
    Quote Originally Posted by 6string View Post
    It really depends on what you're doing as to where you will see the performance gain.
    The better graphics is also part of the extra $.
    Future proofing is another factor once again.
    You can always upgrade the RAM and HD, where as you can't upgrade the processor or graphics chips.
    For me, if money weren't an issue, also being that here in Oz it's a $600 price difference between the 2.4GHz i5 and the 2.66GHz i7, I certainly would have gone for the i7, even if I didn't need all the power that it packs.
    YouTube - 15 " 2.4 GHz Core i5 vs 2.66 GHz Core i7 MacBook Pro Boot Up Showdown!
    YouTube - 2.4 GHz Core i5 or Core i7 2.66 GHz MacBook Pro? i5 vs i7 Benchmarks & Which one you should get!
    Yes I totally agree about future proofing; do you think that the i7 will still be a good computer, in let's say two years, or will it be obsolete? I have seen some sites that talk about a new Intel processor, but I'm not sure when that will come to notebooks. If the i7 will be a good computer for awhile, I would lean towards it. As far as what I would use it for, here is what I mainly use:

    1. Internet
    2. iLife
    3. Final Cut Express (will buy soon)
    4. VMware Fusion (maybe will do away with that at the end of the year, as I would like to get away from Microsoft altogether)

    How much will the extra speed help me with these programs?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •