Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    LOTRsolidsnake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2010
    Posts
    20
    Question Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    So I have decided that its time to buy myself a laptop. After much research I have came to the conclusion to buy the MBP 15". My only concern is with Apple and their constant upgrading of their products.

    As the title says, should I buy now or wait to see if they introduce a new MBP with the i5/i7 chip?

    Thanks in advance!
    - Hopefully, a Mac converter

    Wow, sorry, BUY*** now

  2. #2
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

    Member Since
    Jul 29, 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    40
    Specs:
    White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)
    It really depends on what you are going to be using it for?

    It was rumored there would be a refresh yesterday, so seeing as that didnt happen, it really could be anytime soon.....then again you could be waiting another 2 or 3 months.

    If you need now, buy now, you wont regret it whatever you choose

  3. #3
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    ImageX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    440
    Specs:
    17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
    I agree with Andy007. If you need a computer right now then go ahead and get it, but if you're just wanting a new computer you could wait a bit more to see if they release anything. I have the current MBP and it's been 7 months since I got it and this model was out a little while before I got it so it is possible they could be releasing a new version. I couldn't possibly guess what they would add to it though, I love this thing to death and don't see it missing any uses. Good luck.
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

    Remember to use the Reputation System!

  4. #4
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I was initially going to wait but in December decided to go ahead and I must say i have been enjoying my MBP every day for months now ,it is faster,cooler running and the new
    trackpad was all worth it. Can't blame anyone for wanting the newer processors but look
    at it like this there will always be improvements around the corner. I would have loved to had SSD in mine but could not justify the cost a year or so later they may become mainstream.

  5. #5
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

    Member Since
    Mar 18, 2010
    Posts
    1
    I also am looking to get a MBP, but a 13inch. I went to the Apple iStore today to inquire about them and the sales guy told me that they're out of stock and hadn't received any of the higher specced 13's in awhile. Although, he didn't say outright that there will be a new refresh model coming out soon he advised me to wait for a few weeks and come back to see him when/if they do. (This he said on the quiet as his boss left the shop). So if you can wait then do so.

  6. #6
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    As others have mentioned, it depends on if you need your computer now or if you can wait. The new ones have been rumored to be released soon but people have been saying that for awhile now.

    Quote Originally Posted by LOTRsolidsnake View Post
    My only concern is with Apple and their constant upgrading of their products.
    Don't know how you got that impression. Electronic devices in general are upgraded pretty often as new technology comes out. Actually Apple is behind other computer companies with the latest laptop CPU technology since they are already in use.

  7. #7
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

    Member Since
    Mar 24, 2010
    Posts
    4
    Ok, another newbie here...

    I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro. My old Dell laptop is just about dead and I want to get something that will last. However, I'm not in a huge rush. Likely when the new i3/i5/i7 comes out, they will likely be more expensive.

    Is it a good idea to:

    A) wait and buy the new i series.

    B) wait and hope the old ones go on sale.

    C) buy now because we're all clueless what the future holds.


    Since I'm in school I would get the Education price. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

  8. #8
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,206
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Sorry, but the answer is not going to change from that provided by the five posts right above yours from a week ago.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  9. #9
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by LOTRsolidsnake View Post
    buy now or wait to see if they introduce a new MBP with the i5/i7 chip?

    Anytime is a good time to buy a Mac.If you buy a MB or MBP today it will give you several years of good use.

  10. #10
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,941
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I've seen no evidence that suggests that new MacBook Pros, when they finally do come out, will be any more expensive than current prices.

  11. #11
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?
    theoak's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 04, 2008
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I've seen no evidence that suggests that new MacBook Pros, when they finally do come out, will be any more expensive than current prices.
    In fact, my white MacBook cost me $1199.00 2 1/2 years ago, and now you can get a MacBook Pro for that! Not the highest spec MBP, but even the lowest spec MBP has more RAM, a faster processor, a dedicated GPU, and larger hard drive than my white MacBook. I'm not complaining, mind you, as my MacBook has been, and still is as responsive as the day I bought it.
    2007 13" white Macbook, 2 Ghz Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard w/ 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD
    32 GB WIFI iPad Mini
    Panasonic CF-30, 4 GB RAM, Win7/Ubuntu12.04LTS, 180GB Intel SSD

  12. #12
    Buying 1st MacBook Pro....But now or wait for possible upgrade?

    Member Since
    Mar 24, 2010
    Posts
    4
    wheeler oil
    Another quick question...

    I'm planning on getting the 13 inch MacBook Pro. I'm planning on getting 4 GB of memory and 320 GB hard drive. The Apple store has 2 different 13 inch ones. Is it smarter to get the 2nd one that already comes with the 4 GB of memory or the first one and make the changes? If I modify the first one I can save $165 bucks or so. Is there another reason I should choose the 2nd one?

    Thanks for any advice!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade now to new MacBook Pro or wait?
    By bronsonart in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM
  2. Should I wait before buying an MacBook Pro?
    By iRager in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 07:12 AM
  3. Potentially buying a macbook pro and want to upgrade HDD
    By JoshNathan in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM
  4. I need a MacBook Pro...should i wait or get it now?
    By SunnyDelight227 in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
  5. MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait?
    By Spicky in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-15-2006, 12:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •