Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    How much RAM is enough?

    Member Since
    Jun 01, 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    93
    Specs:
    Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
    Question How much RAM is enough?
    Hi guys,
    After selling some stuff on Ebay, I have enough to upgrade the RAM on my PB!

    I got my powerbook with the standard 512MB RAM. On a busy day, it will be running Final Cut Express, Graphic Converter, iTunes, IM progs, Roxio Popcorn and the usual background stuff.

    But the cheapest I've found a 1GB stick is 163.33 and for 512MB is 54.04. (it's more than double!! how terrible)

    So, if I was being cheap and cheerful, would 1GB of RAM (in total) be enough to run my apps on a busy day without any slowing down? Or do I really have to push the boat out and get an extra 1GB?

  2. #2
    How much RAM is enough?
    EYPUFF's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2003
    Location
    Fullerton/Pomona
    Posts
    220
    Specs:
    Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
    first of all, your computer will come with two sticks of 256mb making the 512. so in order for you get 1 gb you'll have to get the 1 gig stick. but if you want to get the 512 stick for a total of 768mb, that should be fine too. well actually, even with my 1.25 i still lag a little bit. you should definately get as much as you can afford. because you never know when you'll need it.
    PowerBook G4. iLove it.

  3. #3
    untoastytoast
    Guest
    just adding onto what epuff said, i hate to be cliche but its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. :miner:

  4. #4
    How much RAM is enough?
    deus_ex_machina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 06, 2004
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,713
    Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by untoastytoast
    just adding onto what epuff said, i hate to be cliche but its better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. :miner:
    I love that show (avatar) Moonites are hilarious

  5. #5
    untoastytoast
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deus_ex_machina
    I love that show (avatar) Moonites are hilarious
    **** straight, athf is awesome


  6. #6
    How much RAM is enough?

    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2005
    Location
    Maidenhead, UK
    Posts
    423
    Specs:
    20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
    I got a 1GB stick of original apple samsung ram for 100 inc shipping on ebay. Keep your eyes out, and you will come accross a bargain!
    Alex

  7. #7
    roadracr
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EYPUFF
    first of all, your computer will come with two sticks of 256mb making the 512. so in order for you get 1 gb you'll have to get the 1 gig stick. but if you want to get the 512 stick for a total of 768mb, that should be fine too. well actually, even with my 1.25 i still lag a little bit. you should definately get as much as you can afford. because you never know when you'll need it.
    Actually, in your 1.67 GHz PB, I believe your installed 512 MB RAM is using only one DIMM slot. Therefore, you can go to 1 GB or 1.5 GB by adding a 512 MB SO-DIMM or 1 GB SO-DIMM respectively. I have the same PB and I found the fact that Apple increased the base level RAM to 512 MB with a single memory stick to be a great improvement over the previous PB offerings.

    As for the original question, the big CPU and RAM hog among your stated applications is Final Cut Express. If you run it by itself, then 1 GB RAM is probably enough. Adding other graphic conversion app's - while running Final Cut Express - might be a problem. I am assuming that Roxio will be used for disk buriing AFTER you've completed your Final Cut projects.

    More RAM is better if cost is no object.

  8. #8
    untoastytoast
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracr
    Actually, in your 1.67 GHz PB, I believe your installed 512 MB RAM is using only one DIMM slot. Therefore, you can go to 1 GB or 1.5 GB by adding a 512 MB SO-DIMM or 1 GB SO-DIMM respectively. I have the same PB and I found the fact that Apple increased the base level RAM to 512 MB with a single memory stick to be a great improvement over the previous PB offerings.

    As for the original question, the big CPU and RAM hog among your stated applications is Final Cut Express. If you run it by itself, then 1 GB RAM is probably enough. Adding other graphic conversion app's - while running Final Cut Express - might be a problem. I am assuming that Roxio will be used for disk buriing AFTER you've completed your Final Cut projects.

    More RAM is better if cost is no object.
    You are correct, the 12" pb ship with a 256 mb stick soldered to the motherboard, and a 256 stick in the one so-dimm slot, the 15" and 17" come with a 512 mb stick soldered to the motherboard and the so-dimm slot free.

  9. #9
    How much RAM is enough?
    EYPUFF's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 06, 2003
    Location
    Fullerton/Pomona
    Posts
    220
    Specs:
    Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
    Quote Originally Posted by untoastytoast
    You are correct, the 12" pb ship with a 256 mb stick soldered to the motherboard, and a 256 stick in the one so-dimm slot, the 15" and 17" come with a 512 mb stick soldered to the motherboard and the so-dimm slot free.
    *******s.. why couldn't they do that for mine? oh wells, now i have to buy a g5 to wash away my sorrows.
    PowerBook G4. iLove it.

  10. #10
    How much RAM is enough?

    Member Since
    Jun 01, 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    93
    Specs:
    Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
    I just checked and I have one more slot free, maybe i can sell more stuff on ebay!

  11. #11
    MickMAC
    Guest
    the 15 and 17 powerbooks don't have any ram soldered to the motherboard, I have a 17 1.33 and it had a 512 chip in slot a and I bought a 512 for slot b. I can take them both out and get 2 1gigs if i like.

    just to clear that up...

  12. #12
    How much RAM is enough?
    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    If you're curious about whether or not you can benefit from more RAM, simply open the Activity Monitor and under "Page ins/outs:" you'll see two sets of numbers seperated by a slash. The last set of numbers represents your page outs, that is, the amount of pages your Mac is writing to the hard drive, due to not having enough RAM. If that number is in the thousands, you're okay. If it's in the tens of thousands, you need more RAM.

    Note: This trick only works after your system has been running for a week or so (it resets with each boot), and has had time to track your average usage.
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

  13. #13
    How much RAM is enough?
    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by untoastytoast
    You are correct, the 12" pb ship with a 256 mb stick soldered to the motherboard, and a 256 stick in the one so-dimm slot, the 15" and 17" come with a 512 mb stick soldered to the motherboard and the so-dimm slot free.
    That is not correct. The 15 and 17 inch models have NO memory soldered to the motherboard whatsoever. They have two memory slots, both of which are full from the factory (unless you specified otherwise), the exception being the absolute latest Powerbooks, which only had one slot filled (with a single 512 stick).
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

  14. #14
    How much RAM is enough?
    deus_ex_machina's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 06, 2004
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,713
    Specs:
    2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris22x
    If you're curious about whether or not you can benefit from more RAM, simply open the Activity Monitor and under "Page ins/outs:" you'll see two sets of numbers seperated by a slash. The last set of numbers represents your page outs, that is, the amount of pages your Mac is writing to the hard drive, due to not having enough RAM. If that number is in the thousands, you're okay. If it's in the tens of thousands, you need more RAM.

    Note: This trick only works after your system has been running for a week or so (it resets with each boot), and has had time to track your average usage.
    How does the ratio work with pages in? My pages out is in the hundred thousands here...but there's a 1GB of RAM!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #15
    How much RAM is enough?
    rs2sensen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,416
    Specs:
    1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
    yea, I know my 17" had one 512 Mb stick, not two smaller ones.

    One thing, if you install the ram yourself, you'll need an incredibly small screw driver. If you look at the screws at the bottom of your case, it is the same size to open the Ram shield. I had to take a sunglass screwdriver and take a fingernail file to file it down to abt. 1/3 the original size. Once you get the screwdriver, it's really easy to install the ram.

    I do extensive media work on my 17" PB, and I do fine w/ a total of 1 GB Ram. I really feel like I've yet to max out what my PB can handle.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 11:07 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •