Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    obobon
    Guest
    wait for tiger or not?
    As Iam pretty close to buy an ibook I'm unsure if it's worth waiting for tiger?
    I've a good chance to sell my laptop within family for a pretty good price _now_ - tiger will be released around june?

    Is it worth waiting for it? Will it be possible to upgrade pather to tiger? (are there any upgrade versions or can I just purchase a new version of mac os?)

  2. #2
    wait for tiger or not?
    shaun89's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 09, 2004
    Posts
    1,072
    Well, tiger is now suppose to be released on April 1st, and will be shipping on April 15th. So you should wait till then. And if it does end up comming in June, then you will have to buy the full version of Tiger (10.4) to upgrade from panther.

    P.S. : the iBook might not handle all of tigers features, like core image and/or video.

  3. #3
    Kokopelli
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by obobon
    I've a good chance to sell my laptop within family for a pretty good price _now_ - tiger will be released around june?
    Tiger is very likely to be available before the end of June. Current rumours put general availability around mid April.
    Quote Originally Posted by obobon
    Is it worth waiting for it?
    Tricky question. Check out the features on Apple's web site and decide for youself. I would say probably.
    The negatives
    The iBook series are going to get less out of the new release than any other currently available Mac IMHO. The video card won't support some of the spiffier new tricks. Spotlight will in my opinion be hampered somewhat by the slower hard drive and processor (though still useful). The G4 won't see the benefit of 64bit native core.

    The positives
    Tiger is likely to show an incremental increase in speed over Panther. Some of the new APIs are interesting and useful enough that there is a good chance there will be at least one application within a year you would like to try that will be 10.4 and above only. Other little tweaks, such as the new Mail, Safari, automater, etc... Tiger is an evolution (mostly good) and by simply waiting a month you would not have to pay to get the benefits.

    Quote Originally Posted by obobon
    Will it be possible to upgrade pather to tiger?
    definitely.

    Quote Originally Posted by obobon
    (are there any upgrade versions or can I just purchase a new version of mac os?)
    Maybe, we won't know till Apple announces it though.

    Personally I would wait till Tiger is released and see what Apple offers for systems bought after release but before Tiger becomes the default on all systems. I would then get it, if a free upgrade path to Tiger is available and wait till 10.4.1 or 10.4.2 was released to install. But I am a patient person.

  4. #4
    wait for tiger or not?
    Mr Bobbins's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2005
    Location
    Legoland
    Posts
    790
    It's unlikely that Panther will be upgradable to tiger and tiger will cost about 150 euros, around about.

    Every release of the OS system I have personally upgraded to, so I should imagine that I'd feel the same way about Tiger, have to wait and see. Panther is a really good system and Tiger is looking to at the least have more functionality from what I've read.

  5. #5
    Kokopelli
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
    It's unlikely that Panther will be upgradable to tiger and tiger will cost about 150 euros, around about.
    You mean there will not be a "upgrade only" product to update from Panther to Tiger correct? You will definitely be able to upgrade a Panther install to Tiger, but it is likely to require the purchase of the full price Tiger release.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bobbins
    Every release of the OS system I have personally upgraded to, so I should imagine that I'd feel the same way about Tiger, have to wait and see. Panther is a really good system and Tiger is looking to at the least have more functionality from what I've read.
    Honestly from a user perspective not many of the features interest me. From a developer perspectve there are however. On the other hand the non-developer users I have talked to are excited about the possibilities in things I am quite honestly not interested in (such as spotlight). A difference in perspective I guess.

  6. #6
    wait for tiger or not?
    Mr Bobbins's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2005
    Location
    Legoland
    Posts
    790
    Yes, I mean that you'll just have to buy the hole package again which will install on any Mac so long as it's fast enough.

    I'm also not sure weather the extra features will interest me enough to upgrade but I should imagine that their will be other things included in the package, basic stuff like speed increase and extra functions in existing programs that may catch my eye. I mean I didn't buy Panther for Exposť.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wait, wait, wait, crash...on boot.
    By ohmandd in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 10:15 AM
  2. Buy MB with Tiger now or wait until Leopard?
    By ART in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 05:58 PM
  3. Tiger now or wait for Leopard?
    By Pigchops in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-04-2007, 05:36 PM
  4. Do we have to wait until 6pm to get Tiger?
    By donnation25 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •