Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    fdb
    Guest
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    I bought an iBook on ebay last night. The specs are as follows:

    800mghtz iBook G3
    384 MB RAM
    30 GB HD
    12" LCD
    Standard CD-ROM
    OSX Panther
    Airport Card
    Good condition

    The auction came w/ OS CDs, an airport base station, AC adapter and free shipping for $599. Good deal?

    My next question is can I buy any USB bluetooth adapter? Do I have to use the apple bluetooth mouse or can I use others?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    bassplayrr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location
    San Fransisco Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    500
    Specs:
    20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
    Quote Originally Posted by fdb
    I bought an iBook on ebay last night. The specs are as follows:

    800mghtz iBook G3
    384 MB RAM
    30 GB HD
    12" LCD
    Standard CD-ROM
    OSX Panther
    Airport Card
    Good condition

    The auction came w/ OS CDs, an airport base station, AC adapter and free shipping for $599. Good deal?

    My next question is can I buy any USB bluetooth adapter? Do I have to use the apple bluetooth mouse or can I use others?

    Thanks.
    Not sure if it was specifically a GOOD deal, but that seems to be what they are going for, so you didn't get ripped off. Regarding the BT, a USB bluetooth adapter will work just fine, and no, you do not have to use the Apple units. Though, the apple units do look great, and have exeptional performance.

    -Chris

  3. #3
    fdb
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bassplayrr
    Not sure if it was specifically a GOOD deal, but that seems to be what they are going for, so you didn't get ripped off. Regarding the BT, a USB bluetooth adapter will work just fine, and no, you do not have to use the Apple units. Though, the apple units do look great, and have exeptional performance.

    -Chris
    I was curious because the apple bluetooth mouse package states that you need either internal bluetooth of a dlink dbt-120 usb adapter. Is this just a deal w/ apple and d-link? The d-link adapter is like 4X more expensive than the no-name brands.

  4. #4
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    bassplayrr's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location
    San Fransisco Bay Area, CA, USA
    Posts
    500
    Specs:
    20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
    Quote Originally Posted by fdb
    I was curious because the apple bluetooth mouse package states that you need either internal bluetooth of a dlink dbt-120 usb adapter. Is this just a deal w/ apple and d-link? The d-link adapter is like 4X more expensive than the no-name brands.
    Hmmm... I didn't know they said that. The experience I have is with my frind who runs a G4 Cube with some no name USB BT adapter, an Apple BT keyboard, and (I think) a Logitec BT mouse, but I could be wrong on the mouse. Anyone else have any input on this?

    -Chris

  5. #5
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2004
    Posts
    3,378
    I am pretty sure any BT mouse with work.

    I think you got a really good deal, I have seen really basic 700mhz iBooks sell for that much on Ebay recently.

  6. #6
    JSchultz
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mynameis
    I am pretty sure any BT mouse with work.

    I think you got a really good deal, I have seen really basic 700mhz iBooks sell for that much on Ebay recently.
    And I'm not even sure why that is. You can get a restored/refurb 700 mhz iBook for 519 (cd drive)..

    the airport and full CD backups plus the ram is a decent deal though. the refurbs come with no CD software, 256 mb ram, and no airport. so i say you did alright.

  7. #7
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2004
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by JSchultz
    You can get a restored/refurb 700 mhz iBook for 519 (cd drive)...
    Where?

  8. #8
    JSchultz
    Guest
    http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/pro...cat=254&page=1

    For $550, you can get the combo drive, which I'll probably be doing next month. I had to sit through 2 days of driving from Chicago To Vail, CO this past Christmas ...so I'll just plug in the ol' car adapter and watch DVD's this time!

  9. #9
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    MacMania55's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2006
    Posts
    443
    Specs:
    20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
    I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???
    MacMania55

  10. #10
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2004
    Posts
    3,378
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMania55
    I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???

    Check the date on this thread, it is over a year old. Yes, prices have come down since then.

  11. #11
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    maz94protege's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2005
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    514
    Specs:
    MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
    i have that DLINK BT for my mac mini, before i put my BT/AIRPORT Card in it. Works just as good as the apple one. just cost less and you can use it on any PC or MAC you have. Look on ebay you can get one pretty cheap. Anothere reason they are suggesting the DLINK and the APPLE becuase they have stronger signal then others. but any will work

  12. #12
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,481
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMania55
    I dont really think you got the best deal... You can get a G4 ibook 12 inch with a combo drive and OSX tiger for 600. Unless these G3's are selling that high as a collectible item???
    Why did you post in a thread that is OLD as the hills? When he bought his iBook that was a fair price. Check the date on the message in the future please.

  13. #13
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2006
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    13" MBP i5
    I got my iBook off ebay: 1ghz G4/512mb/CD Burner w/ DVD with Tiger installed and the original disks, manuals, cords and box for $599...

  14. #14
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,481
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    When did you get this G4 ibook for $599? When this thread was first posted, your machine would have been a LOT more expensive than what you paid. You did get a great deal on it thouogh with those specs.

  15. #15
    Did I get a good deal on my iBook? AND can I get a bluetooth adapter for it?

    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2006
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    13" MBP i5
    Oh, I didn't notice the date, I just saw people replying.

    Anyways, I just checked listings that were just added with a BIN hoping to find a good deal. And I did.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Apple ibook G4 -deal or no deal?
    By LittleAL in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 08:50 AM
  2. Good deal?
    By cjr25c in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 04:57 PM
  3. Is this a good deal?
    By BethanyLieb in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-10-2008, 10:35 AM
  4. Good deal or not?
    By mikesmith2 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
  5. Whats the deal with Bluetooth and Ipods
    By Biturbo V12 AMG in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •