Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    HELP! blue screen of death

    Member Since
    Jun 05, 2008
    Posts
    4
    HELP! blue screen of death
    I'm new on the forums so thanks guys in advance.
    anyways I have had my mac laptop (powerbook g4 1.67 15'') for two and a half years and it might be dead.
    It has been having problems lately (that computer must shutdown screen coming on, and various programs not working). I decided i would use the disk utility to try to fix it. Using the disc that came with the computer I did a repair (or at least I thoguht I did). Right after the repair all the caracters went crazy so I decided to reboot.
    That's the last time it turned on. Since then it will load to the apple screen then hit the blue screen and stay there.
    I have tried all the diagnostic stuff, if i boot off the cd it still wont get past that blue screen.
    I even went as far as replacing the hard drive and it still won't get past that **** BLUE SCREEN.

    any help or hope is greatly appreciated since i am a poor college student that cannot afford to buy another mac right now. THANKS!

  2. #2
    HELP! blue screen of death
    mcjacksonnelson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    375
    Specs:
    2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
    maybe try booting up in "safe mode" (hold shift while starting up). and then try verify/repair permissions AND verify/repair disk. see if this helps.
    "You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

    CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design

  3. #3
    HELP! blue screen of death
    Soulwar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Specs:
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    that computer must shutdown screen coming on, and various programs not working
    Sounds like a kernel panic. The ram may have went bad. It would explain it not booting and apps crashing before.
    Have you heard any beeps from your Mac when starting? (not the startup sound)
    You may want to try the Apple Hardware test, also.
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

    June 2008


  4. #4
    HELP! blue screen of death

    Member Since
    Jun 05, 2008
    Posts
    4
    holding shift when starting up just causes an error and i guess i get the kernel panic message.
    I've tried the apple hardware test (i think) and when I do it form the cd it says that it is not supported on that machine.
    I'm not sure what beeps you are referring to, when would i hear them.

    BTW I have added ram to it, should i remove the old ram and try running it with just the newer chip?

    Thanks alot guys!

  5. #5
    HELP! blue screen of death
    Soulwar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Specs:
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jufalgons View Post
    holding shift when starting up just causes an error and i guess i get the kernel panic message.
    I've tried the apple hardware test (i think) and when I do it form the cd it says that it is not supported on that machine.
    I'm not sure what beeps you are referring to, when would i hear them.

    BTW I have added ram to it, should i remove the old ram and try running it with just the newer chip?

    Thanks alot guys!
    You would hear the beep as it starts up. If you've added any ram, them you may want to have a look. It could be loose or not working. Try taking out all the ram and add one at a time, then try starting up each time.

    Try this for the AHT.
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

    June 2008


  6. #6
    HELP! blue screen of death
    mcjacksonnelson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    375
    Specs:
    2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
    Sounds like a kernel panic. The ram may have went bad. It would explain it not booting and apps crashing before.
    Have you heard any beeps from your Mac when starting? (not the startup sound)
    You may want to try the Apple Hardware test, also.
    may be getting off topic, but my g4 "beeps" whenever it wakes or starts up. just a really short, totally old-school computer beep sound, like something from a commadore 64 or something. but it runs fine. ive always wondered that those beeps are. do you know what they are and should i be worried?
    "You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

    CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design

  7. #7
    HELP! blue screen of death
    Soulwar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Specs:
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjacksonnelson View Post
    may be getting off topic, but my g4 "beeps" whenever it wakes or starts up. just a really short, totally old-school computer beep sound, like something from a commadore 64 or something. but it runs fine. ive always wondered that those beeps are. do you know what they are and should i be worried?
    It would indicate a problem, usually with the ram. You have the Power Mac G4? Check out these links. You may want to try the Apple Hardware test yourself, just to be sure. Run the extended test for the memory.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95050

    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95053

    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

    June 2008


  8. #8
    HELP! blue screen of death
    mcjacksonnelson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 31, 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    375
    Specs:
    2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
    thanks man, ill try that tonight maybe. just weird that it beeps, but i never have any problems (knocks on wood). RAM works fine and is recognized.
    "You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

    CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design

  9. #9
    HELP! blue screen of death

    Member Since
    Jun 05, 2008
    Posts
    4
    Ok,
    I don't hear a noise and I tried using the different ram chips to start it up and it still doesn't work.

    Basically I have replaced the hard drive so whenever it starts it shows that question mark folder then reads off the dvd drive that has the install disc and the apple logo with the progree comes up.

    It then goes to the blue screen and thats it.

    Any more ideas guys?

  10. #10
    HELP! blue screen of death
    Soulwar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Specs:
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    Did you ever run the Apple Hardware test yet? (burning a cd with the supported AHT)

    When you mentioned it before, you said it wasn't supported? Are you using a different install disk, than the one it came with?
    Would explain why the install disk fails.
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

    June 2008


  11. #11
    HELP! blue screen of death

    Member Since
    Jun 05, 2008
    Posts
    4
    I cannot run the apple hardware test from the apple install cd, when I try it says it is not supported by this machine. I was unable to download and make a new cd because the file is a .dmg and the only other computers i have access to are pc's.

    Wow because of all this I realized that I did not ever have the correct cd's. My original computer broke and apple replaced it but never gave me the cd's along with it, just a new computer.

    How can I go about getting these cd's?

  12. #12
    HELP! blue screen of death
    Soulwar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Specs:
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jufalgons View Post
    I cannot run the apple hardware test from the apple install cd, when I try it says it is not supported by this machine. I was unable to download and make a new cd because the file is a .dmg and the only other computers i have access to are pc's.

    Wow because of all this I realized that I did not ever have the correct cd's. My original computer broke and apple replaced it but never gave me the cd's along with it, just a new computer.

    How can I go about getting these cd's?
    You'd need to contact Apple. Let them know they replaced your Powerbook and that the restore disks you have, will not work in it. Let them know what happens when you try to boot of the install disks. And what it says about the hardware test, as well.

    I had a feeling those disks were the wrong ones...
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

    June 2008


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Blue Screen of Death?
    By JakeKnight in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 01:20 AM
  2. Blue Screen of Death
    By Tarek in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-05-2008, 11:45 PM
  3. Blue Screen of Death?
    By mike518 in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 10:52 PM
  4. Blue Screen od Death!
    By dimagex20 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-25-2006, 03:21 PM
  5. Blue Screen od Death!
    By dimagex20 in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •