Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2007
    Posts
    72
    Specs:
    24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    I have a 2.8Ghz, 4Gig RAM, using Leopard 10.5.1. I calculated my start up time today, it is 34 seconds. I find it a bit slow, as I have run Windows XP within 30 seconds before with poorer hardware spec than my current iMac.

    Would like to ask everyone here what is your start up time? Is mine normal? or is it too slow? Is there anyway to hasten it? Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    My two cents:

    Quote Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
    I have a 2.8Ghz, 4Gig RAM, using Leopard 10.5.1. I calculated my start up time today, it is 34 seconds. I find it a bit slow, as I have run Windows XP within 30 seconds before with poorer hardware spec than my current iMac.
    First of all, pitting the load times of two very different operating systems against each other as if they were equals or even using the two in some vague point of comparison is completely irrelevant. The hardware specs they are running makes no difference either, because the software works and uses said hardware in totally different ways.

    Additionally, any boot time for any computer running any OS that is less than a minute is pretty darn good. The four second variance you listed is far less time than it would for you to read this post, thereby making it a fairly negligible variance in my book. Four seconds of your time is not going to make or break a thing. Even sixty seconds of your time is not going to cause you any major delays or "waste" any time.

    Lastly, the Mac OS is really meant to be running all the time. There is little need to ever actually shut down the computer completely. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, simply put the computer to sleep. That way when you return, a tap of the keyboard or mouse will bring the computer back to a state of readiness almost instantaneously.
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #3
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Very well said DB. I have had endless discussions with people who feel a computers speed is it's Boot Time. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I have seen very messed up XP systems take 3 minutes to boot but once there they would rip or encode Video way faster than some other systems that booted in 20 seconds. Booting speed rarely has anything to do with CPU speed in most cases.

    I have a AMD 64 Gaming system with XP SP2 that I keep very simple and clean and it boots in 10-12 seconds to the desktop. But I have a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz and it boots up just as fast, 10-12 seconds. No joke. I run no startup programs and run Onyx or MainMenu to keep the OS running smooth. The slowest booting mac is my iBook G4 and even it's 45 seconds. I am more concerned what happens once at the desktop when doing real work!!

  4. #4
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2007
    Posts
    72
    Specs:
    24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Very well said DB. I have had endless discussions with people who feel a computers speed is it's Boot Time. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I have seen very messed up XP systems take 3 minutes to boot but once there they would rip or encode Video way faster than some other systems that booted in 20 seconds. Booting speed rarely has anything to do with CPU speed in most cases.

    I have a AMD 64 Gaming system with XP SP2 that I keep very simple and clean and it boots in 10-12 seconds to the desktop. But I have a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz and it boots up just as fast, 10-12 seconds. No joke. I run no startup programs and run Onyx or MainMenu to keep the OS running smooth. The slowest booting mac is my iBook G4 and even it's 45 seconds. I am more concerned what happens once at the desktop when doing real work!!
    How do you make it boot in 10-12 seconds? Please teach me your method.

    Actually the reason I brought up this post is because I feel that my newly bought iMac seems a little slow, it is just my feeling.

  5. #5
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2007
    Posts
    72
    Specs:
    24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    My two cents:



    First of all, pitting the load times of two very different operating systems against each other as if they were equals or even using the two in some vague point of comparison is completely irrelevant. The hardware specs they are running makes no difference either, because the software works and uses said hardware in totally different ways.

    Additionally, any boot time for any computer running any OS that is less than a minute is pretty darn good. The four second variance you listed is far less time than it would for you to read this post, thereby making it a fairly negligible variance in my book. Four seconds of your time is not going to make or break a thing. Even sixty seconds of your time is not going to cause you any major delays or "waste" any time.

    Lastly, the Mac OS is really meant to be running all the time. There is little need to ever actually shut down the computer completely. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, simply put the computer to sleep. That way when you return, a tap of the keyboard or mouse will bring the computer back to a state of readiness almost instantaneously.
    But the question is why am I starting slow? I understand this has nothing to do with speed. But why am I starting up so slow?

  6. #6
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Some systems just boot up faster, but do check for startup items in Users. Run MainMenu and run the scripts. If you leave it on 24 a day they will run on their own.

    For some reason that Mini always was fast at booting up. Way faster than my G5 iMac in fact.

    For the record it takes 4-5 more seconds for Leopard to boot to the desktop than Tiger. More going on. Does not bug me in the least.

  7. #7
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2007
    Posts
    72
    Specs:
    24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Some systems just boot up faster, but do check for startup items in Users. Run MainMenu and run the scripts. If you leave it on 24 a day they will run on their own.

    For some reason that Mini always was fast at booting up. Way faster than my G5 iMac in fact.

    For the record it takes 4-5 more seconds for Leopard to boot to the desktop than Tiger. More going on. Does not bug me in the least.
    Thanks for replying me.

    Where to run Main Menu and the scripts? Thanks.

  8. #8
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Well my old 512K mac from way back in the 80's. I had it in the 90's though. And it started up in like 15 seconds or less. No joke. The same for the SE I had. Kinda funny that. But back on topic. My imac from pressing the button till the desktop (time taken to type my password removed) is about 30 seconds which I think is rather good. This is with 2 GB of ram. When it had only one it took about 40 seconds.

  9. #9
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    giulio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2007
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    1,813
    Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    Lots of ram will make a computer start up slower. It has to be tested/counted before it is used.
    My neighbor's iMac has 512 and it restarts in 10 seconds. My iMac has 2GB and takes at least 20 seconds to boot.

  10. #10
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    Nov 02, 2007
    Posts
    72
    Specs:
    24'' iMac 2.8 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 500 GB HD. 15.4'' MBP, 2.6 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 200GB HD, iPhone 8GB.
    Can someone kindly teach me how to check what is run during start up? and how to close it down? Thanks in advance.

  11. #11
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?

    Member Since
    May 13, 2005
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post
    Can someone kindly teach me how to check what is run during start up? and how to close it down? Thanks in advance.
    i could but not answerin peoples questions saves my 10-15 seconds per post.

  12. #12
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallooza View Post
    i could but not answerin peoples questions saves my 10-15 seconds per post.
    Fallooza, always funny!

    You open System Preferences, Accounts and look for the Login Items tab. Those are the apps that are starting up with OSX.

  13. #13
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    giulio's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2007
    Location
    NY USA
    Posts
    1,813
    Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    After a restart, launch Terminal and enter the command "top"...
    $ top
    That will tell you every running process, prior to you launching any.

  14. #14
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    Airborneforest's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 12, 2007
    Location
    Regina, Canada
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    My two cents:


    Lastly, the Mac OS is really meant to be running all the time. There is little need to ever actually shut down the computer completely. If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, simply put the computer to sleep. That way when you return, a tap of the keyboard or mouse will bring the computer back to a state of readiness almost instantaneously.
    This is 'true-ish' with all computers. Hard drives are designed to be running all the time. However, computers do need to be shut down and restarted on occasion to reset/drain the memory and clear it from any errors. Depending on how much you use your computer. Typically I would do a shut down ever month for just a couple of minutes.

    I know some computers do have trouble with the sleep process though.

    Does the iMac just have a monitor sleep function or is it a CPU/hardrrive/monitor sleep?

  15. #15
    How long does your iMac takes to start up?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborneforest View Post
    Does the iMac just have a monitor sleep function or is it a CPU/hardrrive/monitor sleep?
    Both actually. You can set it just to shut off the display, but sleep on a Mac puts it all to sleep. Internet drops, lights on my USB 2.0 Hubs go out. Wakes up quite fast though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. imac takes 3-4 mins to start
    By christle in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 11:12 PM
  2. Takes a long time to start up
    By Akaira in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM
  3. Powerbook takes a long time to start
    By Fotojohn in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
  4. HELP: MacBook Pro Freezes/Grey Folder at Start up/Start up takes forever
    By TreyPeezyDotCom in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
  5. Takes a long time to make start up chime
    By walmartconnect in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •