Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Help me to decide.. Please!

    Member Since
    Oct 02, 2007
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
    Unhappy Help me to decide.. Please!
    Hello, help me to decide please..... (sorry it's a little long..)

    I currently have, G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB mem.
    NVidia 7800GT.

    Right now, I have to deal with approx 30 hrs worth of HD footages...
    (this is for a small company)
    I have about three weeks to finish the product. (editing to make it 3hrs)

    I was thinking of buying a new Mac Pro 3.0GHz 8 core with.. etc.. (for a month!! now i have about a week to decide)

    Do you think, it is worth buying the new one NOW? or should I just upgrade
    my G5 and get on with it until new ones come out..
    With what I have now, it takes a little too long to just render... to edit...

    I know, things always will change with new versions and I have to decide..

    But right now, the timing is.. so close.... what would you do?

    Now with a little upgrade or later?

    Also, does anyone know when New Mac Book Pros are "suppose to" come out?

  2. #2
    Help me to decide.. Please!
    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    I would stay with your current machine. It is plenty "beefy" enough for the job. It is also clearly stable and working well, and configured as you like it. My guess is that you would lose about a week or so tinkering with the new machine to get it setup, get all the little kinks worked out and so on. And then, you have to consider that you might get the odd "bad egg" and the new machine has a problem... that would really set you back.

    For now, with time tight, stay where you are. Your present machine has plenty of power.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  3. #3
    Help me to decide.. Please!
    macsonic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 04, 2007
    Location
    asia
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by CSJ78 View Post
    Hello, help me to decide please..... (sorry it's a little long..)

    I currently have, G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB mem.
    NVidia 7800GT.

    Right now, I have to deal with approx 30 hrs worth of HD footages...
    (this is for a small company)
    I have about three weeks to finish the product. (editing to make it 3hrs)

    I was thinking of buying a new Mac Pro 3.0GHz 8 core with.. etc.. (for a month!! now i have about a week to decide)

    Do you think, it is worth buying the new one NOW? or should I just upgrade
    my G5 and get on with it until new ones come out..
    With what I have now, it takes a little too long to just render... to edit...

    I know, things always will change with new versions and I have to decide..

    But right now, the timing is.. so close.... what would you do?

    Now with a little upgrade or later?

    Also, does anyone know when New Mac Book Pros are "suppose to" come out?
    Your G5Quad is adequate for the job. You just need to increase your memory from 2Gig to maybe 4Gig or higher. Your quad supports up to 16Ghz of ram. I have use both a quad2.5Ghz and a MacPro 2.66ghz. Had 1.0Ghz on the MacPro but wasnt enough for heavy graphic designs, increased it to 3Gig, holds out okay in speed.
    Have you also optimized your Mac? Like using disk warrior to rebuilt the directory? This also affects the speed of your computer.

  4. #4
    Help me to decide.. Please!

    Member Since
    Oct 02, 2007
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Mem
    Thank you guys for the feedback..

    I have decided to wait since I had to start the job a little earlier..
    plus, like mac57 said, if I end up with a bad luck of getting the "bad egg"
    I will not be so happy..

    I will add more mem and see if that helps.
    Also, I will find out/try out optimizing the mac..

    again, thanks!
    Mac Pro 2 x 3.2 GHz 10GB Ram NVidia 8800
    Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz 2GB Ram NVidia 7800
    MacBook Pro (CD2) 17" 2.6GHz 4GB Ram
    MacBook Pro (CD1) 17" 2.16GHz 2GB Ram

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to decide.. G4 or G5
    By tyler_hubbard20 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
  2. Can't decide!!
    By joshw88 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 04:58 PM
  3. I cant decide...
    By ILoveAlliO in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM
  4. Can't decide
    By Whawazat in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 09:03 AM
  5. Just Cant Decide...G4 or G5
    By ApplejustWorks in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 12:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •