Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    PCI Express Surround Sound Card?

    Member Since
    Jan 26, 2007
    Posts
    8
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2 * 2ghz Intel Xeon Dual Core :: 2GB Ram :: 2000GB HD Space :: OSX 10.4 & XP Pro
    Question PCI Express Surround Sound Card?
    Hi there

    New to mac's but been using and customizing Pc's for years.

    Been searching for a PCI express sound sound card to use with my speakers but have not found anything. Is there any way of upgrading a Mac Pro to surround sound? Ideally 5.1. ATM I'm mainly using it on windows XP so if it is devices for windows only that would be just as helpful.

    Thanks

    Craig

  2. #2
    PCI Express Surround Sound Card?
    PowerBookG4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,188
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I use the optical port on my quad, which supports 5.1, and works really well.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

  3. #3
    PCI Express Surround Sound Card?

    Member Since
    Jan 11, 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    86
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermind View Post
    Hi there

    New to mac's but been using and customizing Pc's for years.

    Been searching for a PCI express sound sound card to use with my speakers but have not found anything. Is there any way of upgrading a Mac Pro to surround sound? Ideally 5.1. ATM I'm mainly using it on windows XP so if it is devices for windows only that would be just as helpful.

    Thanks

    Craig
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think such a device exists. There are plenty of PCI surround sound cards but with the amount of data running through the bus i dont think its necessary to utilize the bandwidth of PCI-E.

    Creative makes some excellent sound cards, check them out at Creative.com

  4. #4
    PCI Express Surround Sound Card?

    Member Since
    Jan 26, 2007
    Posts
    8
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2 * 2ghz Intel Xeon Dual Core :: 2GB Ram :: 2000GB HD Space :: OSX 10.4 & XP Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerBookG4 View Post
    I use the optical port on my quad, which supports 5.1, and works really well.
    Ok how would that work if i have surround sound speakers with the 3 * 3.5 jack's? Do i need an adapter and if so where do i get one?
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalJesus View Post
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i dont think such a device exists. There are plenty of PCI surround sound cards but with the amount of data running through the bus i dont think its necessary to utilize the bandwidth of PCI-E.

    Creative makes some excellent sound cards, check them out at Creative.com
    Well the mac pro only has PCI express expansion slots so i need a PCI express one?

    Craig

  5. #5
    MacHeadCase
    Guest
    From what I found in Google, PCI Express sound cards do exist for the Mac Pro but they are mostly for either recording studio work or high-end video editing.

    But at Apple there is this Knowledge Base Article, Mac Pro: External ports and connectors:

    Optical digital audio in/out port:

    Connect to decks, recievers, digital instruments, and 5.1 surround-sound speaker systems using standard Toslink cables or fiber-optic cables with a 3.5 mm plastic or nylon optical plug. You can transfer stereo or encoded 5.1 audio using the S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) protocol and Toslink cables.
    Click on the link for more info.

    Hope this helps. :girl:

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ORICO PME-4U USB 3.0 PCI Express Card
    By mb300e in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM
  2. help G5 sound card pci-x can't use m-audio 24/96
    By cosmosis in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 04:27 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 06:10 AM
  4. G4 PCI Sound card question
    By desmopedro in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 10:20 PM
  5. PCI-e Sound Card
    By joe.morgan in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2007, 11:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •