Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    aristo3650
    Guest
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    it's klling me, I've been planning on upgrading for a while now from my powerbook g4. Should I just wait the few months for the next updated mac pros, hoping for quad cores, or should i just bite the bullet and get one now? I read the anandtech.com article about the quad core chips and they said the slower quad chips can easily outpreform the faster core duo chips.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6

    I will constanting be running full CS2 suite as well as macromedia suite, itunes, firefox, ichat, mail, all at once, 90% of the time. Would I be better off with the quad cores?
    Any and all opinions welcomed.

  2. #2
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    mr g5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Posts
    534
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by aristo3650 View Post
    it's klling me, I've been planning on upgrading for a while now from my powerbook g4. Should I just wait the few months for the next updated mac pros, hoping for quad cores, or should i just bite the bullet and get one now? I read the anandtech.com article about the quad core chips and they said the slower quad chips can easily outpreform the faster core duo chips.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2832&p=6

    I will constanting be running full CS2 suite as well as macromedia suite, itunes, firefox, ichat, mail, all at once, 90% of the time. Would I be better off with the quad cores?
    Any and all opinions welcomed.
    You can always put those new chips in the current mac pro. You just need a
    ton of ram for what your doing. the other problem is when the new chips are out somthing newer will be on its way.

    btw the current mac pro is quad core. 2 x dual core chips = quad core. The current mac pro doesn't use coreduos it uses intel xeon woodcrests.
    Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here

  3. #3
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    BIG D 04's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2006
    Location
    Birmingham (S), UK
    Posts
    665
    Specs:
    20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
    I expect that you will see a Mac Mini upgrade then a Mac Pro Upgrade...

    Although I think the MacPro will be more than capable of doing what you want.
    Damien Healy
    iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |

  4. #4
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    mr g5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Posts
    534
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG D 04 View Post
    I expect that you will see a Mac Mini upgrade then a Mac Pro Upgrade...

    Although I think the MacPro will be more than capable of doing what you want.
    I dont expect a mac pro pdate until spring, apple is always late when it comes to processors. I still dont know why anyone would need 8 cores?

    Also the 8 core mac will have slower clock speeds, so in everyday usage it will be slower than the current one.
    Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here

  5. #5
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    BIG D 04's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 16, 2006
    Location
    Birmingham (S), UK
    Posts
    665
    Specs:
    20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
    Well I'm not saying that the Mac Pro upgrade will be soon just merely pointing out the progression in the order it will come in.

    It would make more sense for them to Launch the new Mac Pro around the same time as Leopard Launches, as they can then show of their main Software Piece, and there best Hardware in one go.
    Damien Healy
    iMac 20" OSX 10.4.9 Tiger | thebigman87.com |

  6. #6
    aristo3650
    Guest
    sounds good, i'll be ordering a new mac pro monday then :cool: mr g5, i ment 8 cores, quad core duo core core 2 duo, whatever too many names thanks for the info tough, appreciate it everyone. Now the only question is, is the extra cash worth the 3.0ghz vs. the 2.66?

  7. #7
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    mr g5's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Posts
    534
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by aristo3650 View Post
    sounds good, i'll be ordering a new mac pro monday then :cool: mr g5, i ment 8 cores, quad core duo core core 2 duo, whatever too many names thanks for the info tough, appreciate it everyone. Now the only question is, is the extra cash worth the 3.0ghz vs. the 2.66?
    Based on what you said before, I would spend that money updrading the RAM over the proccessor. The base amount of RAM will not be enough for all the things you plan to be using at once. The quad mac pro is very fast and it will suite you well. When i'm rendering an HD movie in final cut pro, I only get to 65% on each core.

    The nice thing is that those new proccessors will work in the current mac pro so you dont have to be worried about being replaced.
    Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here

  8. #8
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    I would suggest reading the views in this thread:

    "staying on the cutting edge"
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  9. #9
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    mac57's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 29, 2006
    Location
    St. Somewhere
    Posts
    4,560
    Specs:
    iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM
    aristo3650, one word of caution. I was just in my local Apple store this afternoon, testing out CS2 Photoshop running on today's best Mac Pro, sporting the 3.0 GHz parts. While empirical, the following may be useful. On my PowerMac G5, Photoshop CS2 launches from click on the Dock icon to fully ready for use in about 6 seconds. That same number on the news Mac Pro was 12-14 seconds. A lot of this is the Rosetta effect of course, but I had heard Rosetta exacted a 40% to 50% penalty, not a 100% penalty.

    For now, and until CS3 comes out, an older PowerMac G5 is without question the fastest Apple Photoshop processor out there. If that is your main application, you may wish to reconsider the purchase of a Mac Pro, or just hold off until the spring when Adobe releases CS3 in Universal.
    My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
    My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
    My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
    I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007

  10. #10
    aristo3650
    Guest
    I was originally planning on holding out until CS3 UB was released but i just dont know if I can wait that long. I know to expect the rosetta effect but I figure its still faster than the powerbook g4 im using right now. I was actually going to buy the macbook pro since mobility was an issue before but it is not now so I might as well get a mac pro. Thanks for the heads up mac57 but spring is just so far from now =( and that's if they actually do release it in spring.

  11. #11
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    coach_z's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    3,169
    Specs:
    i dont have no mac's
    Quote Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
    I would suggest reading the views in this thread:

    "staying on the cutting edge"
    i was going to suggest that thread as well..
    -chris
    MoTM honor roll...
    when?
    i dont remember

  12. #12
    aristo3650
    Guest
    read that and replied earlier, conclusion, to each their own

  13. #13
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?
    PowerBookG4's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 08, 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,188
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
    I am waiting, but only because the speed increase over my quad is not enough to justify the price. Although when the octo-core comes out I am sure I will buy it because that most certainly will be faster in final cut then the g5.

    If I was in your position, it does not make sense to wait. sure when the next computers come out you will not have the best computer any more but your will still be just as fast as the day you got it. So I say go out and buy the mac pro, it makes the most sense and you will notice a difference. There is no speed increase in my 1.5ghz powerbook and my new 2.16ghz mbp in photoshop, but stepping up to the quad core 3.0ghz there should be a difference for you.
    My Website
    Blog
    I love my hosting company!
    I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006

  14. #14
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?

    Member Since
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    217
    Specs:
    Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
    You also have to remember that the new quad-core Xeon 5300 series chips will work in the Mac Pro, even without any software or BIOS updates. Anandtech even tried themselves by replacing the dual stock Xeon 5100s, and OSX did recognize all 8 cores. Waiting to buy the Mac Pro doesn't make much sense to me because it will always be upgradeable to dual quad-core Xeon chips. I don't think Apple will be releasing a new Mac Pro for a long while, because their current product will work with the upcoming Xeon 5300s, so all they have to do is throw a couple of those chips in there and come out with another amazing product without actually having to redesign anything at all...
    12" Powerbook G4 1.5GHz/512MB/Superdrive/100GB Seagate Momentus 7200.1
    PowerMac G3 B&W 350MHz/1GB/DVD-RW/Adaptec 39160 2X Seagate 36GB 15k RAID0
    Dell E521 AMD X2 4600+/2GB/7600GT/320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

  15. #15
    Buy mac pro now or wait for next update?

    Member Since
    Nov 09, 2005
    Posts
    142
    I'm waiting as well. I've got a PB 12" and a Windows rig which I'll be selling in favor of a Mac Pro. Waiting till Spring will get you Leopard and iLife 07 preinstalled, so you won't have to blow more money upgrading. Then of course there's the probability of some new processor offerings.

    I wonder if they'll ditch the FBDIMMs. Intel is probably going to ditch them, because no one is a big fan of the high price/high latency. It'd be nice to have more economical RAM options.
    1) Powerbook G4 12" 1.5 GHz, iWork, Ilife 06, Logic Pro, Office 2K4
    2) A PC with a bunch of stuff in it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Should I buy an air or pro now or wait?
    By bellemichelle9 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2014, 04:23 PM
  2. Buy Mac Pro now or wait?
    By syashdown in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-30-2009, 05:52 PM
  3. Should I buy Mac Pro today or wait ("old" inventory?)
    By amrpapp in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 08:22 PM
  4. OS update, buy now or wait?
    By meggie in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 11:32 PM
  5. OS Update, buy now or wait?
    By meggie in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •