Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Abrodzinski
    Guest
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    Alrighty after typing a lengthy post and accidently middle clicking my tab i'm going to try this again!! :eek:

    Ok I am a graphics design student wanting to switch over to the mac side. I need to buy a workstation by this fall but i'd like to switch asap. but with the intel chips on the fringe should I wait to see a price drop? if so how much do they usually drop?

    I am looking at either:

    G5 dual core 2.0ghz
    1gb ram (soon 2gb more 3rd party ram)
    250gb hardrive (soon 2 or 4 drive raid arrau @ 1TB)
    23" cinema display

    or an apple refurb G5 dual 2.7ghz
    512mb ram
    250gb drive
    23" cinema display

    both totaling around $2200 for the tower and $3300 with the display (no discount on refurbs

    Should I wait and see if the Quadcore will drop to 2300-2500 (with discount)??.

    I really dont want to wait untill the end of summer but if it means nearly cutting my time in half for rendering and encoding then I will wait. (though I do 95% photoshop / illustrator)

  2. #2
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Well since most pro apps aren't even available as Universal binaries yet (Photoshop doesn't even have a shipping date), I'd say go with a PowerPC machine if you need to really use it this year...
    Even when the apps do start shipping, quite a few things might be slightly wonky in the first year of the transition, whilst the PowerPC stuff just works beautifully now.

  3. #3
    Abrodzinski
    Guest
    cool thats what I was thinking, plus I didn't want to pay for the pro upgrades lol

    So should I get the refurb now before its gone or hold out for the quadcore and hope it drops to 2300-2500 (with discount)??? I am new in the mac world so I don't have an idea of how they lower their prices at all.

  4. #4
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    PunkRockTuba's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 27, 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    975
    Specs:
    17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
    That refurb machine sounds like a monster, and I would say go for it but I dont know how apple discounts things. Somebody else on here should know, I havent been in the mac world long enough to know how they work. I will say that if you get that refurb you should put a gig of ram or more in it as well. For a monster like that to only have 512mb of ram would be a shame, but I also know how money works and that might not be possible right of the bat.

  5. #5
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Apple's prices tend to be fairly steady...
    Whenever they release a new product, the old ones are sold off in the refurb section, but the price reduction isn't huge...
    The only reason I see for considering the quad over the 2,7 is the PCI-express ports in the quad vs. the PCI-X ports the 2,7 has. (PCI-X was only used by apple,)

  6. #6
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    Discerptor's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 02, 2005
    Posts
    1,229
    Specs:
    2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
    If you need it for the fall, hen I'd wait until Auust to pick something. Not only will the Pro apps hopefully be Intel-native by then, but if you decide to stick with PowerPC, the prices on those machines will go down even more. Who knows? Maybe you'll be able to get a Quad for the price range you're looking at.

  7. #7
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    johninc's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location
    Albany, CA
    Posts
    643
    Specs:
    ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrodzinski

    G5 dual core 2.0ghz
    1gb ram (soon 2gb more 3rd party ram)
    250gb hardrive (soon 2 or 4 drive raid arrau @ 1TB)
    23" cinema display
    I know a guy who teaches a broadcasting class and uses five of these and there great. I'd say only wait for the Intels if you want to pay less.

  8. #8
    Abrodzinski
    Guest
    Cool, I think i'll go with the dual 2.7, it seems to be the better deal.

    What is PCI-X ....is it compatible with all current PCI express cards/accesorys? or just a faster version of PCI?

    Although I just checked their refurb page and the dual 2.7 isn't available right now....hopefully it will be soon

    After looking into the benchmarks the Quad G5 STOMPS all over the dual 2.5's and 2.7's, doubling performance over a dual 2.5 in creative apps....now comes the hard part....should I wait or spend that hard earned cash..... :/

  9. #9
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?

    Member Since
    Mar 16, 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    290
    Specs:
    Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
    Go for this one. And if you do decide to wait for the intel version... You may want to wait for Version 2 of the Intel machines. Just my opinion.
    TJ

  10. #10
    Should I wait untill intel chips hit to switch?
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Abrodzinski
    Cool, I think i'll go with the dual 2.7, it seems to be the better deal.

    What is PCI-X ....is it compatible with all current PCI express cards/accesorys? or just a faster version of PCI?

    Although I just checked their refurb page and the dual 2.7 isn't available right now....hopefully it will be soon

    After looking into the benchmarks the Quad G5 STOMPS all over the dual 2.5's and 2.7's, doubling performance over a dual 2.5 in creative apps....now comes the hard part....should I wait or spend that hard earned cash..... :/
    No PCI-X isn't compatible with PCI express.
    But most cards aren't mac compatible (yet) anyway, since apple just introduced PCI-express on the powermacs.
    There are a number of PCI-X cards for the powermacs though...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Intel Quad Core Mobile Chips & Six Core Desktop Chips
    By bryphotoguy in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 07:01 AM
  2. Can't wait untill the next Windows *shudders*
    By billydilly in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-01-2008, 11:53 PM
  3. Macbook now, or wait untill after WWDC
    By estjean525 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 04:33 AM
  4. CS2 on Intel chips..
    By strekplanfire in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 02:33 AM
  5. New Intel Chips...
    By fasheezy in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 09:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •