Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Imac 27'' only 720p?

    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2008
    Posts
    137
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    Hi,

    Im about to get an iMac 27'' and i was advised before that these only have a 720p video input, is this still the same or is it 1080p?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    louishen's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,968
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Its the built in camera that's limited to 720P
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

  3. #3
    Imac 27'' only 720p?

    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2008
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    Its the built in camera that's limited to 720P
    No because i get myself Belkin AV360 Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27"iMac i can't watch blueray or play games on ps3 in 1080p but only 720p and no fault on the Belkin, its because of the iMac, atleast this is how it was a year ago, which i why i asked the question, but more so towards any new imac, is it still the same?

  4. #4
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanez View Post
    No because i get myself Belkin AV360 Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27"iMac i can't watch blueray or play games on ps3 in 1080p but only 720p and no fault on the Belkin, its because of the iMac, atleast this is how it was a year ago, which i why i asked the question, but more so towards any new imac, is it still the same?
    Please read this information regarding the Belkin AV360:

    Belkin AV360™ Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27"iMac F2CD007

    If you click on the "Features" heading…you will see that the Belkin AV360 only provides 720P output to an iMac. This to me appears to be a limitation of the Belkin AV360…and not a limitation of the 27" iMac.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Imac 27'' only 720p?

    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2008
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Please read this information regarding the Belkin AV360:

    Belkin AV360™ Mini DisplayPort Converter for 27"iMac F2CD007

    If you click on the "Features" heading…you will see that the Belkin AV360 only provides 720P output to an iMac. This to me appears to be a limitation of the Belkin AV360…and not a limitation of the 27" iMac.

    - Nick
    yes only to an imac, but 1080p to other machines

    check this out
    Belkin Av360- Review/Test - YouTube

  6. #6
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,202
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Why don't you wait until the iMac line is refreshed? Both the 27" and 21.5" are overdue for a refresh since both were last refreshed May 2011. I don't know if the new 27" iMac will support 1080P for its video input port though. No one but Apple knows and they're not talking.

  7. #7
    Imac 27'' only 720p?

    Member Since
    Jul 20, 2008
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Why don't you wait until the iMac line is refreshed? Both the 27" and 21.5" are overdue for a refresh since both were last refreshed May 2011. I don't know if the new 27" iMac will support 1080P for its video input port though. No one but Apple knows and they're not talking.
    When are they due to refresh them? I will be getting my imac in about 4-5 months anyway so hopefully by then, its not a major issue but it is nice to watch movies or play games in 1080p

  8. #8
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,206
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Could be something out there, but if there is, I haven't found anything that is compatible for video input with the Thunderbolt iMac nor the Thunderbolt Display (as a monitor) for your other external devices aside from another thunderbolt equipped device - such as the new MBP, etc.

    Best I can find, Intel still has not yet released the chips (nor the technology) to go from HDMI to TB..
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  9. #9
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,206
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    The only things I'm aware of are the video capture devices such as the ElGato or Black Magic Intensity boxes - link.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  10. #10
    Imac 27'' only 720p?

    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Location
    Colne,UK
    Posts
    1,735
    Specs:
    iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,12GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yose 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanez View Post
    Hi,

    Im about to get an iMac 27'' and i was advised before that these only have a 720p video input, is this still the same or is it 1080p?

    Thanks
    Just a small point but 720p is Hi Def and immensely capable of displaying fast moving video.

    Last time I looked at the issue an iMac could accept 1080p but it's display data won't tell other devices that it can so it's a no show for some reason known only to Apple (possibly a Sony thing re the Blu Ray and PS3 ?).

    Incidentally, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on screens smaller than 50 inches for reasons of the relationship between screen size, viewing distance and resolution).

    To further confuse the issue Apple's 27" iMac is actually WQHD or Wide Quad High Definition or 1440p which was at one time under consideration to become the standard for HD TV and then fell by the wayside.

    Here's a chart from CarltonBale for some interest
    Attached Images Attached Images
    iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
    iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
    MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.

  11. #11
    Imac 27'' only 720p?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post

    Incidentally, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on screens smaller than 50 inches for reasons of the relationship between screen size, viewing distance and resolution).
    That was my first thought. I would challenge anyone to see a difference in video quality between 1080P and 720P on a 27" screen. People get hung up on the numbers (which is why I hate the terms "1080P" and "720P", because people always equate bigger with better).

    Even at 40" it's a nearly indiscernible difference, let alone 27".
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  12. #12
    Imac 27'' only 720p?

    Member Since
    Sep 10, 2011
    Location
    Colne,UK
    Posts
    1,735
    Specs:
    iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,12GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yose 10.10.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    That was my first thought. I would challenge anyone to see a difference in video quality between 1080P and 720P on a 27" screen. People get hung up on the numbers (which is why I hate the terms "1080P" and "720P", because people always equate bigger with better).

    Even at 40" it's a nearly indiscernible difference, let alone 27".
    Yep..and broadcasters output at 720p generally because higher defs take up too much bandwidth. So most of us with our 1080p ready TV's only really see 1080p with Blu Ray disc, or a video upscaled to 1080p by a receiver or player.
    iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
    iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
    MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. playing 720p
    By lvrpl888 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM
  2. VLC, 720p mkv video, using all RAM? Slow iMac
    By Bikarbonat in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 10:05 AM
  3. Audio Sync Issue from iMac to 720p TV
    By Gozer in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 10:43 AM
  4. MacBook Confg with 720P TV
    By jsnoxmail in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
  5. PowerMac to Samsung 720p... NEED HELP!
    By aitebar in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 07:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •