Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2011
    Posts
    13
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?
    I just got a 120 GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G with the Mount Pro Sled but I was reading that the ssd can also be installed in the second optical bay.


    My question is what would be better performance wise and what are the pros and cons on installing the ssd to the optical drive vs HD bay?

  2. #2
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,041
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    And this is a Mac Pro as stated?

    Why do that when there are four hard drive bays? Always found the best option to use the SSD as boot drive, position in Bay One, and other drives from there. Brest performance is set up in drive bay one.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  3. #3
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    And this is a Mac Pro as stated?

    Why do that when there are four hard drive bays? Always found the best option to use the SSD as boot drive, position in Bay One, and other drives from there. Brest performance is set up in drive bay one.

    Yes it's a mid 2010 Mac Pro Desktop.

    I know there are four hard drive bays and presently I have two open bays. I obviously want the ssd to be my boot drive but I read somewhere about setting up the ssd in the optical bay and was wondering what if any benefits of installing it there?

  4. #4
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,478
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpents Den View Post
    ...I read somewhere about setting up the ssd in the optical bay and was wondering what if any benefits of installing it there?
    Look at it this way...would you install a traditional hard drive into one of the optical bays? If the optical bays were somehow superior to the 4 hard drive bays...wouldn't Apple have installed a hard drive in there already?? Same rules would apply for an SSD.

    Also consider...it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it in & out of the optical bay if you wanted to remove it.

    If you have two open HD bays...I would just install it in there. I would only install an HD or SSD in an optical bay as a last resort (if everything else was full).

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2011
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Look at it this way...would you install a traditional hard drive into one of the optical bays? If the optical bays were somehow superior to the 4 hard drive bays...wouldn't Apple have installed a hard drive in there already?? Same rules would apply for an SSD.

    Also consider...it's gonna be a pain in the butt to get it in & out of the optical bay if you wanted to remove it.

    If you have two open HD bays...I would just install it in there. I would only install an HD or SSD in an optical bay as a last resort (if everything else was full).

    - Nick

    Ok, so there are no performance benefits to installing it in the optical drive, that's what I needed to know so I'll just install it in my first bay.

    Thanks for your input!!

  6. #6
    Installing ssd in Mac Pro desktop?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,478
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Good deal!...enjoy that SSD!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help needed for installing SSD in Mac Pro 2009
    By KrisSA in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-22-2014, 12:03 AM
  2. ssd in mac pro desktop
    By cherokee2 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 06:07 PM
  3. Installing SSD Into Macbook Pro
    By latokoyo in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 10:43 PM
  4. Trouble installing OSX on new SSD's in 15" Macbook Pro
    By BillyPrice in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •