Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Back on my G5

  1. #1
    Back on my G5
    Germany_chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 31, 2011
    Posts
    283
    Back on my G5
    Well I put the "other computer" away and am back on my G5. It's quite nice to be using my old friend again!

    The interesting part is that the computer with the 18,000 geekbench vs. 2000 for the G5 just isn't noticeably faster in Ps and Ai than my many year old G5. On the web and working in office productivity I don't think there is any difference.

    It's nice to be back
    Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
    MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +

  2. #2
    Back on my G5
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,478
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    The interesting part is that the computer with the 18,000 geekbench vs. 2000 for the G5 just isn't noticeably faster in Ps and Ai than my many year old G5. On the web and working in office productivity I don't think there is any difference.
    This is because most programs are not written for multiple core computers...and if they are...not many multi-core capable apps. are written well.

    I recently sold my 8-core (16 thread) Mac Pro that scores 12,000...and I had the same experiences as you. For "normal" stuff...a big powerful computer with all sorts of cores just doesn't make a difference.

    - Nick

    p.s. I'm not REALLY sure why you made this post...when you're mostly talking about your "other" computer. And you know the rules about that!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Back on my G5
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,765
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    But, it is interesting to hear the perspective, especially in view of a post you made recently on G5s.
    Agree, though, having said that, this conversation is skirting bounds of our community guidelines.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  4. #4
    Back on my G5
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,478
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    But, it is interesting to hear the perspective, especially in view of a post you made recently on G5s.
    Most definitely. G5's (for some things can still be very useful). That thread was for a dual-cpu Powermac G5. I have a 20" iMac G5 as well (single cpu)...it does a pretty good job with internet (and other things) as well...and I got the G5 iMac for free (just needed an HD)!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Back on my G5
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    If the caps would have not died in my iMac G5 iSight it would still be doing a good job here. The Intel Mac I own now is faster but it was still very useable.

  6. #6
    Back on my G5
    Germany_chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 31, 2011
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This is because most programs are not written for multiple core computers...and if they are...not many multi-core capable apps. are written well.

    I recently sold my 8-core (16 thread) Mac Pro that scores 12,000...and I had the same experiences as you. For "normal" stuff...a big powerful computer with all sorts of cores just doesn't make a difference.

    - Nick

    p.s. I'm not REALLY sure why you made this post...when you're mostly talking about your "other" computer. And you know the rules about that!
    I made this thread as another way to talk to the threads about C2D iMac vs Core iWhatever, Mac Pro vs iMac, Didn't max out my iMac should I buy more RAM, etc.

    This industry tends to tell you that you need to update reasonably often so people think their needs are aligning with the upgrade cycle, when really they're not.

    I agree that most programs are not multi threaded, but just one core on the other computer was 4.9Ghz, this thing is 4Ghz in total
    Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
    MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +

  7. #7
    Back on my G5
    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,821
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    I made this thread as another way to talk to the threads about C2D iMac vs Core iWhatever, Mac Pro vs iMac, Didn't max out my iMac should I buy more RAM, etc.

    This industry tends to tell you that you need to update reasonably often so people think their needs are aligning with the upgrade cycle, when really they're not.

    I agree that most programs are not multi threaded, but just one core on the other computer was 4.9Ghz, this thing is 4Ghz in total
    It's also a different architecture, which will effect many things. So now we're stuck with intel architecture, which means.. if you want to use CS5/5.5/6 you're going to need an intel processor. While potentially not any faster, I can think of things I drastically prefer about 5.5/6 over ohhh say... cs3.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  8. #8
    Back on my G5
    Germany_chris's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 31, 2011
    Posts
    283
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    It's also a different architecture, which will effect many things. So now we're stuck with intel architecture, which means.. if you want to use CS5/5.5/6 you're going to need an intel processor. While potentially not any faster, I can think of things I drastically prefer about 5.5/6 over ohhh say... cs3.
    There are things I love about CS 5 and 5.5 but for a VAST majority of what I do CS3 works just fine. The things I do are make banners, fliers, business cards, certificates, design coins etc. nothing really demanding..

    Worst case is the money that comes in from the computer that cannot be named goes to a newish MP..
    Mac Pro 4,1 (Flashed to 5,1) W3570 3.2 Quad..48GB RAM..Gainward GTX 570 "Phantom."
    MacBook Pro 5,2..2.8Ghz C2D..8GB RAM..240GB Vertex +

  9. #9
    Back on my G5
    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,821
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Germany_chris View Post
    There are things I love about CS 5 and 5.5 but for a VAST majority of what I do CS3 works just fine. The things I do are make banners, fliers, business cards, certificates, design coins etc. nothing really demanding..

    Worst case is the money that comes in from the computer that cannot be named goes to a newish MP..
    Exactly, it's always about needs isn't it?

    Buying based on 'wants' is a bad thing, if you're deriving income from the venture.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 11:41 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM
  4. Time machine will no longer back up and old back ups vanished
    By tigo in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM
  5. How to prevent anti-virus during time capsule back up AND how to set up TC back ups
    By Mac_Badger in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •