Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2010
    Location
    Baker, FL
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    Specs: 400Mhz
    512Mb RAM
    PowerMac3,1
    100MHz Bus Speed
    1MB L2 Cache

    Can it run OS X 10.5? I currently have Tiger 10.4.

  2. #2
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,477
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Short answer, No!

    Long answer, 10.5 needs an 867Mhz G4 to install. You can fool the installer with a little app called Leopard Assist but, on that 400Mhz G4 it will not be very fast. I would stick with 10.4 on that 400Mhz G4.

  3. #3
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2010
    Location
    Baker, FL
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Short answer, No!

    Long answer, 10.5 needs an 867Mhz G4 to install. You can fool the installer with a little app called Leopard Assist but, on that 400Mhz G4 it will not be very fast. I would stick with 10.4 on that 400Mhz G4.
    It's actually pretty decent in speed right now. I'm on it now. But, could I fool it with 1GB of RAM?

  4. #4
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,477
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    I have 10.5.8 on my Quicksilver 733 Mhz G4 with 1.5GB RAM and trust me, it's barely useable. It's ok for some basic tasks, but 10.4 Tiger on the same machine is much snappier.

    And no, 10.5 Demands a 867Mhz G4 CPU. Ram has nothing to do with it. It will refuse to install.

  5. #5
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,459
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post

    Can it run OS X 10.5? I currently have Tiger 10.4.
    This question was already answered in this thread"

    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/app...-g4-model.html

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    50voltphantom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 08, 2010
    Posts
    164
    Specs:
    20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 400 MHz - iPad 2 16GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post
    It's actually pretty decent in speed right now. I'm on it now. But, could I fool it with 1GB of RAM?
    You will notice a difference, for sure. If I've got the model right, Crucial says you can go up to 2GB.
    Mac Specs: 20" iMac 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4 GB RAM 500 GB HD OS 10.6.8 Magic Trackpad- eMac 1.42 GHz (RIP) - iMac G3 Grape 400 MHz 1GB RAM 40GB HD OS 10.4.11 iSub - iPad 2 16GB - iPod Classic 120 GB - iPod Shuffle 2nd Gen 1GB - Apple TV 2

  7. #7
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,004
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Stay with Tiger and be happy. More memory may see an slight improvement. Make sure you get Mac compatible low density memory and not PC memory which is cheaper high density. Either PC100 or PC133 will work and there are four memory slots in your machine.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  8. #8
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,477
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    He asked if the 1GB RAM would make 10.5 install. No. Ram has nothing to do with it. 867Mhz G4 is the requirement. Not more RAM. He asked if he could Fool it with 1GB. No.

  9. #9
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2010
    Location
    Baker, FL
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    He asked if the 1GB RAM would make 10.5 install. No. Ram has nothing to do with it. 867Mhz G4 is the requirement. Not more RAM. He asked if he could Fool it with 1GB. No.
    Well, could I use leapord assist with a gig or 2 gigs of ram and it not be too slow?

  10. #10
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,477
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Not trying to be rude or mean just in case people are taking this wrong.

    with a 400Mhz G4 and 10.5, many things will be WAY slow. My 733 Mhz with 1.5GB RAM will stutter playing a DVD, Flash videos are so choppy, it's worthless for anything more then chat, email and basic Web and itunes. With your 400 it will be that much worse. Also I have a way faster video card, Bus Frequency.

    I would stick with Tiger on that machine. Also to find a legal 10.5 will cost you more than 8 of those machines is worth mint!

  11. #11
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2010
    Location
    Baker, FL
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Not trying to be rude or mean just in case people are taking this wrong.

    with a 400Mhz G4 and 10.5, many things will be WAY slow. My 733 Mhz with 1.5GB RAM will stutter playing a DVD, Flash videos are so choppy, it's worthless for anything more then chat, email and basic Web and itunes. With your 400 it will be that much worse. Also I have a way faster video card, Bus Frequency.

    I would stick with Tiger on that machine. Also to find a legal 10.5 will cost you more than 8 of those machines is worth mint!
    I understand that. I'm actually only using it to run a server for a game called "Minecraft."

  12. #12
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2010
    Location
    Baker, FL
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
    Also, how about Linux or Ubuntu?

  13. #13
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,459
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post
    Well, could I use leapord assist with a gig or 2 gigs of ram and it not be too slow?
    It's really not about the amount of ram. Just for discussions sake (if it were possible)...you could have 4 gig, 6 gig, or 8 gig of ram in this Powermac G4 and it still really wouldn't be any faster. This Powermac G4 is slow because it has a 400mhz processor & an OLD video card.

    As "dtravis7" mentioned...this computer is fine for modern things such as "chat, email, basic Web, and itunes"...I would also add you could run "old software titles/versions" (7-10 years old).

    This computer is mostly for just playing around with.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  14. #14
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!

    Member Since
    Oct 15, 2010
    Location
    Baker, FL
    Posts
    92
    Specs:
    13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    It's really not about the amount of ram. Just for discussions sake (if it were possible)...you could have 4 gig, 6 gig, or 8 gig of ram in this Powermac G4 and it still really wouldn't be any faster. This Powermac G4 is slow because it has a 400mhz processor & an OLD video card.

    As "dtravis7" mentioned...this computer is fine for modern things such as "chat, email, basic Web, and itunes"...I would also add you could run "old software titles/versions" (7-10 years old).

    This computer is mostly for just playing around with.

    - Nick
    sooo, what about linux or ubuntu?

  15. #15
    PowerMac G4 AGP 400Mhz question!
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,459
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrilyc View Post
    sooo, what about linux or ubuntu?
    Got me...I don't mess around with that "funky" stuff!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What to Do with Old Powermac G4 400Mhz??
    By MACn0ob in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. Powermac G4, (AGP Graphics)
    By Mr. Quackens in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
  3. Powermac G4 AGP Graphics Upgrade Question
    By Jonnyfive in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •