Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4

    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2011
    Posts
    20
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    I cannot get the DVD rom to register within my preferences as a boot drive. The DVD plays fine but no matter what I try, there is no option to use the drive to boot.

    Any tips/tricks that will change this so that I can boot from the DVD rom?

  2. #2
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    I cannot get the DVD rom to register within my preferences as a boot drive. The DVD plays fine but no matter what I try, there is no option to use the drive to boot.

    Any tips/tricks that will change this so that I can boot from the DVD rom?
    I'm a little confused by what you're trying to do (maybe it's just the way the post is worded)...but are you simply trying to "boot" this eMac from a Mac OS install DVD?

    Please list your eMac's specs so we know what eMac model we're dealing with.

    Thanks,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4

    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2011
    Posts
    20
    Emac g4, 750 mhz, 40 gb,HD, 1 gb ram

    I undesrtood tha that the DVD should offer itself as a bootable drive in preferences, but it does not. I wondered why it does not and how I can enable it to for future reference. It is 10.3.9 os x.
    I have tried holding down "c" also as I read this gives you options to choose a boot location but that obviously doesnt work, I assume that is becasue it isnt in preferences. I also have an admin password in place, I did wonder with the holding "c" function if this affected its use

  4. #4
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    Emac g4, 750 mhz, 40 gb,HD, 1 gb ram
    I think that you mean 700mhz...there was no 750mhz eMac.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    I undesrtood tha that the DVD should offer itself as a bootable drive in preferences, but it does not. I wondered why it does not and how I can enable it to for future reference.
    This is true...a bootable CD/DVD should show up in the "Startup Disk" system preference...IF it is a bootable disk that the computer can boot from.

    What color is this disk...black or gray? If gray...these disks are model specific...and only work with the model computer they shipped with. If the disk(s) are gray...and you don't 100% know where they came from...then they probably won't work with this model eMac.

    Also...some 700mhz eMac models only came with a CD-Rom drive. So if this disk is a DVD...and your eMac only has a CD-Rom drive...then that's another possible reason why it won't boot from the disc.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,061
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    If it is a black disc as pointed out by Nick, boot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes. System install discs do not 'self boot'.

    Your eMac will only boot from Tiger OS X.4 or earlier and NOT from Leopard OS X.5 nor Snow Leopard OS X.6.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  6. #6
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    If it is a black disc as pointed out by Nick, boot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chimes. System install discs do not 'self boot'.

    Your eMac will only boot from Tiger OS X.4 or earlier and NOT from Leopard OS X.5 nor Snow Leopard OS X.6.
    If you don't mind my saying...great additional thoughts. Some things you mentioned are not something we always think about on a slower & older Mac.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4

    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2011
    Posts
    20
    The OS x was laready installed when I got the Emac, no discs.

    Because the OS x is virtually maxed out for the machine, I was looking to the near future and wondering wether to try Ubuntu PPC on the machine and that would require a dvd boot up to achieve, I think?

  8. #8
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    The OS x was laready installed when I got the Emac, no discs.

    Because the OS x is virtually maxed out for the machine, I was looking to the near future and wondering wether to try Ubuntu PPC on the machine and that would require a dvd boot up to achieve, I think?
    Ok...now I'm totally confused! This info doesn't really pertain to what we've been discussing.

    You mentioned trying to boot from a DVD disc...and now you say no discs...how can that be?

    Also...you mentioned this eMac has 10.3.9 on it. It can actually/officially can run up to OS 10.4.11...and if you use a program called "Leopard Assist" you could run up to OS 10.5.8 (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it)...since this eMac's cpu is on the slower side for 10.5.

    In any case...if you feel that you've gotten the info you needed...good luck with the eMac.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4

    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Ok...now I'm totally confused! This info doesn't really pertain to what we've been discussing.

    You mentioned trying to boot from a DVD disc...and now you say no discs...how can that be?

    Also...you mentioned this eMac has 10.3.9 on it. It can actually/officially can run up to OS 10.4.11...and if you use a program called "Leopard Assist" you could run up to OS 10.5.8 (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it)...since this eMac's cpu is on the slower side for 10.5.

    In any case...if you feel that you've gotten the info you needed...good luck with the eMac.

    - Nick
    No, I have NOT tried to boot from any DVD, I have never said I have at all.
    I have said there are no cds as the machine was pre installed when I got it and no cds supplied with it.

    I have said that there is no option to use the DVD as boot drive and I thought there would be, thats all.

    AND, before you dismiss me with sarastic direspect, I have not "gotten the info I needed" "In any case".

  10. #10
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    No, I have NOT tried to boot from any DVD, I have never said I have at all.
    I have said there are no cds as the machine was pre installed when I got it and no cds supplied with it.

    I have said that there is no option to use the DVD as boot drive and I thought there would be, thats all.

    AND, before you dismiss me with sarastic direspect, I have not "gotten the info I needed" "In any case".
    The info you supplied was hard to follow. There's no option to boot from a disk as there is no disk inserted. Once you get a disk that you want to boot from, reboot holding the "c" key and the computer will boot from the CD drive.

  11. #11
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    I cannot get the DVD rom to register within my preferences as a boot drive. The DVD plays fine but no matter what I try, there is no option to use the drive to boot.

    Any tips/tricks that will change this so that I can boot from the DVD rom?
    It's your initial post that has everything confusing! This post sounds to me like you were trying to boot your computer from the DVD drive.

    If you don't actually have a DVD or CD "boot" disc...then there really isn't a way to test your computers ability to boot from a disk!

    VERY VERY confusing!!!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  12. #12
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post

    I have said that there is no option to use the DVD as boot drive and I thought there would be, thats all.
    Just to reply to this specific post. You CANNOT test or determine what you're trying to do WITHOUT having a "boot" DVD or CD.

    It's kind of like trying to drive to the store in an automobile when you don't own a car!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  13. #13
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4

    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Just to reply to this specific post. You CANNOT test or determine what you're trying to do WITHOUT having a "boot" DVD or CD.

    It's kind of like trying to drive to the store in an automobile when you don't own a car!

    - Nick
    Thanks Nick, thats why there is no DVD boot showing then in preferences, there has to be a bootable dvd/cd in the dvd/cd tray for it to register as available, correct? Probably ive been on windows too much and expected similar choice options, as in, first choice boot, second choice boot etc.

  14. #14
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by mac2011 View Post
    Thanks Nick, thats why there is no DVD boot showing then in preferences, there has to be a bootable dvd/cd in the dvd/cd tray for it to register as available, correct? Probably ive been on windows too much and expected similar choice options, as in, first choice boot, second choice boot etc.
    That's it EXACTLY...you got it!!!

    That's why I was so confused by your earlier posts. You cannot explore this sort of thing without a "boot" CD/DVD. Get a "boot" CD/DVD...and then what we've been talking about in this thread will make perfect sense!

    Now I think that you've gotten the info you needed!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  15. #15
    Cannot boot from DVD Emac G4

    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2011
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Now I think that you've gotten the info you needed!

    - Nick
    Yep, thank you

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. eMac can't boot retail OSX
    By dazed_Confused in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 11:00 PM
  2. Emac Boot Issues
    By McWBAsh in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 04:08 AM
  3. Safe Boot on Emac
    By smstearns2032 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2011, 06:02 PM
  4. eMac won't boot - gets hung at "Got boot device"
    By johngriggs in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-13-2010, 11:15 PM
  5. emac cold boot problem
    By beartrap in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 06:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •