Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?

    Member Since
    Jan 05, 2010
    Location
    Newbury Berkshiere UK
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    13" White MacBook 2ghz 4GB DDR2 Ram 320Gb HDD, 16GB iPhone, Craving a mac pro!
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?
    Hey guys..

    I have a question and i was wondering if the community brain could help me out..

    My needs are middle range - high end,
    I'm a software developer working primarily with windows .net and IBM lotus domino which means i need the power to virtualise 2 or 3 small windows VM's simultaneously (around 1GB of Ram and 1 CPU Core Each) using parallels (Boot camp is not an option!)

    I also do some light video editing using after effects and premiere pro CS4,
    and work with RAW files in photoshop CS4 occasionally too..

    My current primary computer is a white mac book (core 2 Duo 2ghz, 4GB DDR2 Ram) which is seriously showing signs of strain!

    My budget is kinda low but ive found somebody who wants to sell me a 2006 "woodcrest" mac pro of the following specs:

    2 x 2.66 GHz Dual Core Xeons (4 Cores Overall)
    8GB DDR Fully Buffered Ram
    (all other components are standard)

    For £1,200 (GBP)

    Will this machine suit my needs?
    I'm asking because my budget is quite low and the only thing apple offers for this price range is the low end imac (21.5")
    which seems kind of underpowered with a tiny display!

    Thanks!
    Daniel

  2. #2
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,459
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Yes...the "quad-core" Mac Pro would fit your needs.

    But for £1,378.00 (yes £137 more than your budget)...you can get a REAL NICE 27" iMac.

    iMac - Apple Store (U.K.)

    Remember if you purchased the Mac Pro for £1200...you would probably spend at least £137 extra for a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (which would be included with the iMac purchase)...if you don't already have these items.

    Maybe an even better possibility...would be to purchase this refurbished 24" iMac for £1,019.00.

    Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.K.)

    It's in stock (as of 7:56pm EST)!

    Hope this helps,

    - Nick

    BTW...you should probably remove any mention of HACINTOSH from this post & from your avatar...if you want to remain a member at Mac-Forums.

    Just a friendly warning from another member!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?
    ZorroAMG's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 23, 2005
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    522
    Specs:
    | '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
    I'd recommend the 27" quad core for a few £ more than that old 2006.

    It will be faster and come with a gorgeous display.

  4. #4
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?

    Member Since
    Jan 05, 2010
    Location
    Newbury Berkshiere UK
    Posts
    9
    Specs:
    13" White MacBook 2ghz 4GB DDR2 Ram 320Gb HDD, 16GB iPhone, Craving a mac pro!
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Yes...the "quad-core" Mac Pro would fit your needs.

    But for £1,378.00 (yes £137 more than your budget)...you can get a REAL NICE 27" iMac.

    iMac - Apple Store (U.K.)

    Remember if you purchased the Mac Pro for £1200...you would probably spend at least £137 extra for a monitor, keyboard, and mouse (which would be included with the iMac purchase)...if you don't already have these items.

    Maybe an even better possibility...would be to purchase this refurbished 24" iMac for £1,019.00.

    Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.K.)

    It's in stock (as of 7:56pm EST)!

    Hope this helps,

    - Nick

    BTW...you should probably remove any mention of HACINTOSH from this post & from your avatar...if you want to remain a member at Mac-Forums.

    Just a friendly warning from another member!
    Hey Nick

    Whoops! Sorry I didn't think that would go down well! Thanks it's gone from my description.. was only a passing idea anyway!

    Yeah i've been thinking of the iMac,
    Only thing is the £1,378.00 iMac is still only a dual core..
    Which is ok but my boss has an imac of the same spec and ive seen it really struggle under the same workload i would be giving it!

    Also for the future i'm considering creating a RAID 0 Array which you cant do with an iMac!

    Your right i'd also end up spend more for the monitor, I'd probably go for 2 24" samsung displays so an extra £350ish

    Thanks for your swift reply!
    Daniel

  5. #5
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,459
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Upton View Post
    Yeah i've been thinking of the iMac,
    Only thing is the £1,378.00 iMac is still only a dual core..
    Which is ok but my boss has an imac of the same spec and ive seen it really struggle under the same workload i would be giving it!
    Well it was just an idea. It sounds like you have had some first hand experience with the faster dual-core iMacs...which of course is really helpful.

    If your willing to spend an extra £350 for 2-24" displays (can you really get 2-24" displays for £350 in the UK?)...that extra money on top of the £1200 you mentioned spending would get you real close to the price of an i5 Quad-Core 27" iMac for £1634. That 27" display is pretty awesome.

    I'm not sure how important that Raid Array is to you...but if it never happens, it could be stopping you from getting a nice iMac.

    Good luck with your decision,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?

    Member Since
    Jan 30, 2010
    Posts
    10
    i have the mac pro that you're considering. it was overkill when i bought it 2.5 years ago, and it's still more power than i need today. an iMac is basically a laptop with a nice (very nice) display. if you want processing power, go for the mac pro!

    mac pro quad-core xeon@2.66ghz, 4gb ddr2, 500gb w/ 640gb portable, 2x 20" lcd, snow leopard
    iPhone 2g

  7. #7
    Ol' Mac Pro Right For Me?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,933
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Yackedy Sacks View Post
    i have the mac pro that you're considering. it was overkill when i bought it 2.5 years ago, and it's still more power than i need today. an iMac is basically a laptop with a nice (very nice) display. if you want processing power, go for the mac pro!
    Now that the iMacs have the i5/i7 chips, I don't think this view is still operative.

    The various speed-fiend test sites I've checked seem to rate the iMac very favourably against the latest Mac Pros.

    This will of course change over time, but as of today the iMac is actually Apple's biggest hardware "bang for the buck."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mac Pro 5,1 vs Mac Mini Quad i7 for Pro Tools 11
    By 13th Crowned in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 04:42 PM
  2. Mac Pro 2.7 8GB vs Mac Pro Retina 2.6 16GB
    By SofaKingBig in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
  3. Mac Pro to Mac Book Pro Firewire cable
    By limu99 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 10:10 AM
  4. iMac, Mac Pro or Mac Book pro; for iPhone development
    By BillyA in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
  5. Windows XP Pro, XP Pro x64, or Vista on new Mac Pro?
    By analog guy in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 05:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •