Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5? uses?
    Hey all.
    So a buddy of mine owed me some money and couldn't come up with the funds so he gave me his machine.
    G5 1.8 ghz Dual processor
    1.5gb ram
    1.5tb storage (500 seagate and a 1tb seagate
    stock video card....
    good shape computer and a 19" samsung LCD
    Now, I know the G5s are an awesome solid machine, but I currently have a 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro which I normally always use and most of the programs out there are running for intel.
    I know I need to upgrade the operating system (running 10.4) cause nothing works on it.
    However, its a solid machine and I have been using it as my backup and to watch movies on and probably photoshop/.
    Just curious what you all thought of the 1.8 dual and what to use it for.

    Fast??
    how does it put up to intel?

    ~Teal

  2. #2
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by appleboy1717 View Post
    Hey all.
    So a buddy of mine owed me some money and couldn't come up with the funds so he gave me his machine.
    G5 1.8 ghz Dual processor
    1.5gb ram
    1.5tb storage (500 seagate and a 1tb seagate
    stock video card....
    good shape computer and a 19" samsung LCD
    Now, I know the G5s are an awesome solid machine, but I currently have a 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro which I normally always use and most of the programs out there are running for intel.
    I know I need to upgrade the operating system (running 10.4) cause nothing works on it.
    However, its a solid machine and I have been using it as my backup and to watch movies on and probably photoshop/.
    Just curious what you all thought of the 1.8 dual and what to use it for.

    Fast??
    how does it put up to intel?

    ~Teal
    The Power PC G5 is great. Add two of them, even better. However you'll be seeing high temperatures blowing out of that case. You can upgrade to Leopard FYI, the machine is powerful enough to run it, and most applications are still supported under Leopard.

    Dual 1.8? Or two 900 MHz processors?

    They'll stack up to Intel well, but however, there's two processors, not a single chip with dual cores. So wattage is higher. I'd say, use this beastly machine with Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Tiger. These machines make a great server.

    By the way, since you don't specify, is this a Power Mac? Or iMac?
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  3. #3
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    The Power PC G5 is great. Add two of them, even better. However you'll be seeing high temperatures blowing out of that case. You can upgrade to Leopard FYI, the machine is powerful enough to run it, and most applications are still supported under Leopard.

    Dual 1.8? Or two 900 MHz processors?

    They'll stack up to Intel well, but however, there's two processors, not a single chip with dual cores. So wattage is higher. I'd say, use this beastly machine with Mac OS X Server Leopard or Mac OS X Server Tiger. These machines make a great server.

    By the way, since you don't specify, is this a Power Mac? Or iMac?


    Hey,
    it's a powermac G5 dual 1.8ghz processors. So its pretty good.
    Yeah, its not too bad. I live in a pretty cool place and room stays around 63 degress...but the fans speed up here and there.
    I heard it takes like 600 watts.. haha.
    Add too??? like hooking them together?
    Can you do that? I mean I know virginia tech did it, but can like people do it?

  4. #4
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,310
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    The machine will be good for most every day things you'll want to do. Remember though, the future is Intel and more and more Apps are becoming Intel only....


  5. #5
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    The machine will be good for most every day things you'll want to do. Remember though, the future is Intel and more and more Apps are becoming Intel only....
    Yeah, well I have my laptop for that. It works well for downloading and playing online and homework and such and the my laptop I just take places.
    Also, I keep getting this error sense code for toast 10...I can't update on 10.4..........

  6. #6
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by appleboy1717 View Post
    Hey,
    it's a powermac G5 dual 1.8ghz processors. So its pretty good.
    Yeah, its not too bad. I live in a pretty cool place and room stays around 63 degress...but the fans speed up here and there.
    I heard it takes like 600 watts.. haha.
    Add too??? like hooking them together?
    Can you do that? I mean I know virginia tech did it, but can like people do it?
    No, not two computers, I mean two Power PC chips. You're saying this Power Mac G5 has two Power PC G5 processors, which I assume are single core, each running at 900MHz, right? (900MHz+900MHz= 1800MHz, or about 1.8GHz)

    The PowerPC G5 at 900MHz is a powerful, high wattage chip. Two of them in one case (thankfully located at the bottom back side) means a great deal of heat, and a great deal of energy. This is a powerful computer none-the-less, though baggss is right, the future is Intel. This Power Mac G5 can run up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (867MHz minimum Power PC), and can run either Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 Server or Leopard 10.5 Server, if you ever want to do that.
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  7. #7
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    No, not two computers, I mean two Power PC chips. You're saying this Power Mac G5 has two Power PC G5 processors, which I assume are single core, each running at 900MHz, right? (900MHz+900MHz= 1800MHz, or about 1.8GHz)

    The PowerPC G5 at 900MHz is a powerful, high wattage chip. Two of them in one case (thankfully located at the bottom back side) means a great deal of heat, and a great deal of energy. This is a powerful computer none-the-less, though baggss is right, the future is Intel. This Power Mac G5 can run up to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard (867MHz minimum Power PC), and can run either Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 Server or Leopard 10.5 Server, if you ever want to do that.
    Yes, two powerpc processors, but its a 1.8ghz...900mhz front side bus. So two processors running 1.8ghz.
    Anyone else have this computer....any problems....thoughts about it.
    High energy bills. lol.
    ~Teal

  8. #8
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    Chris H.'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 03, 2009
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Posts
    2,633
    Quote Originally Posted by baggss View Post
    The machine will be good for most every day things you'll want to do. Remember though, the future is Intel and more and more Apps are becoming Intel only....
    This is by far very true, though if Apple takes the "iPad" route (that is to say, hidden folders, hidden CLI and Apple A* chip-in the iPad's case, A4), what happens next? Not that it would happen, but you never know!
     iPad Air 2 - iOS 9 Beta
     iPhone 6 64GB - iOS 9 Beta
     Mac mini Server M10 - OS X 10.10.5
     MacBook Uni L09 - OS X 10.11 Beta

  9. #9
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    This is by far very true, though if Apple takes the "iPad" route (that is to say, hidden folders, hidden CLI and Apple A* chip-in the iPad's case, A4), what happens next? Not that it would happen, but you never know!
    Yes, I have snowleopard on my Macbook pro and never had a problem downloading things...and now on the G5 I have to search for older versions of programs. I am currently downloading leopard...get something newer on here.

  10. #10
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,967
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I just want to point out that, in point of fact, nearly all programs that run on Leopard also work with Tiger provided it is up to date (10.4.11). Even Apple's own updates for Leopard always include 10.4.11. You can run the latest Safari, the latest iLife and so forth.

    Having said that I agree with everyone above; upgrade to Leopard. But I'm just pointing out that you don't absolutely HAVE to.

  11. #11
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Jan 21, 2010
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
    A G5 is a behemoth at that speed, you'll see yourself surpassing most low-end chips today, The G5 has some incompatibilities the G4 doesn't, but it should serve you well for at leas 6 years if you take care of it. I know peoplw who still use a powermac g3 w/ g4 upgrade for everything. i tell i'm is it slow? they say : 'nope, never slow"

    I would also recommend trying out a PPC linux distro, they have plenty of actively developed apps.
    Intel SUCKS!!! PPC Dominates
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5Ghz 1.25GB 10.5 AND Ubuntu 9.1
    Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 768MB 10.5
    Ibook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 10.4.11

  12. #12
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    dtravis7's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    28,480
    Specs:
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Quote Originally Posted by appleboy1717 View Post
    Yes, I have snowleopard on my Macbook pro and never had a problem downloading things...and now on the G5 I have to search for older versions of programs. I am currently downloading leopard...get something newer on here.
    Downloading Leopard like from the Internet? If so, against USA Law and the rules here at Mac Forums. Purchase 10.5 Retail. Like was said though, 10.4.11 will run most modern apps that are Universal and will run on the Power PC. I have a feeling you are trying to run Intel Only applications from your Intel Mac.

  13. #13
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Dec 26, 2009
    Posts
    10
    Specs:
    2009 15" 2.66ghz 15" macbook pro. 4gb, 320(7200)....
    Quote Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
    Downloading Leopard like from the Internet? If so, against USA Law and the rules here at Mac Forums. Purchase 10.5 Retail. Like was said though, 10.4.11 will run most modern apps that are Universal and will run on the Power PC. I have a feeling you are trying to run Intel Only applications from your Intel Mac.
    Actually iLife and Iwork 09 both require leopard. Suriously? This is a computer forum.....of course I am downloading it. Gonna partition an external and boot from DVD. I have a retail version but its dual layer and my G5 doesn't have that I honestly don't download too much for you anti downloaders out there. My service provider kept nailing me with letter saying they were gonna shut off my internet and such so now I only get necessary things. Just curious, I understand its against the rules on here, but like most of you must download. Every computer nerd person I know does. haha.

  14. #14
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?

    Member Since
    Jan 21, 2010
    Posts
    98
    Specs:
    Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
    @appleboy

    i DL stuff too, and i live in the US, but I do it on old stuff only, either way, neither you or I is justified in doing it. Regardless of who else does it, I have been banned from forums because I've made it public. I don't know how lenient the mods are on this forum about this, but my personal opinion is it isn't as bad as posting a link or something. IIRC, there are patches you can apply to ilife to make it run on Tiger, however I won't say where to download it as most DLs also include the program. And i'm just trying to help you out, if you're wondering .
    Intel SUCKS!!! PPC Dominates
    PowerMac G4 MDD 1.5Ghz 1.25GB 10.5 AND Ubuntu 9.1
    Powerbook G4 15" 1.5Ghz 768MB 10.5
    Ibook G4 12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 10.4.11

  15. #15
    How good is a 1.8 Dual G5?  uses?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,499
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by appleboy1717 View Post
    I honestly don't download too much for you anti downloaders out there.
    It's not about too much or too little...download 1 application that you're supposed to purchase (and didn't)...and it's illegal!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a good dual layer DVD burner
    By ImageExtensions in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 02:23 PM
  2. Powermac g4 dual 800, good for photoshop??
    By Tanner31593 in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
  3. Is G4 dual 550mhz any good?
    By Jonnyfive in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 12:13 AM
  4. More than 2 Threads on dual G5...good idea?
    By MadSkillzMan in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •