Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    I am currently on a power G4 dual 450, running 10.4.11, with 1G RAM. Dual-display but not enough VRam to run Logic, let alone crawling with my adobe CS4 suite. In addition, this OS will not support blackberry desktop manager with my (new) Tour 9630.

    Basically, I am wondering 2 things... what will it take for this machine to support 10.6? Also - I believe I have 4 slots for Ram, and want to know if 2G is the max I can drop in there.

    Believe me I wish I could afford to scrap this thing and upgrade, but she has been a great machine since 02, reliable... and I recently wiped the entire drive and the 2nd drive I installed. So basically looking to optimize now that the machine is 'fresh'. I want some advice on exactly what to do next... thanks a lot!

    Display specs >

    Chipset Model: ATY,LT-C
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCI
    Slot: SLOT-B
    VRAM (Total): 16 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x4c49
    Revision ID: 0x00dc
    ROM Revision: 113-54104-103
    Displays:
    Display:
    Resolution: 1024 x 768
    Depth: 8-bit Color
    Core Image: Not Supported
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

    ATY,Rage128Pro:

    Chipset Model: ATY,Rage128Pro
    Type: Display
    Bus: AGP
    Slot: SLOT-A
    VRAM (Total): 16 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x5046
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-72701-125
    Displays:
    DELL E156FP:
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Not Supported
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

  2. #2
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
    I
    Basically, I am wondering 2 things... what will it take for this machine to support 10.5.5? Also - I believe I have 4 slots for Ram, and want to know if 2G is the max I can drop in there.
    To run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz CPU. You could purchase a CPU upgrade card...but it will most likely cost more than your G4 is worth...which by the way is about $50 dollars or less.

    But if you can find a used upgrade card cheap (Craig's List or e-Bay)...and some ram (you can upgrade to 2 gig of ram in your computer)...this would probably run you around $100-$150 bucks. This would still be cheaper than a new computer.

    But keep in mind...for about $250-$300...you can purchase a used 1.8ghz dual-cpu G5 desktop.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,295
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Try Accelerate Your Macintosh! for best advice about making your G4 hum. I think for example that you can put in a Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade - but wait till you see the cost!

    Essentially, your situation is that 450 MHz is slow - very slow - by today's demanding standards. That software you're using 'expects' much more than your G4 can currently give. Mactracker recommends 10.4.11 as the maximum OS.

    RAM - you can go to 2 Gb under OS X.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  4. #4
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    To run OS 10.5 you need a minimum of an 867mhz CPU. You could purchase a CPU upgrade card...but it will most likely cost more than your G4 is worth...which by the way is about $50 dollars or less.

    But if you can find a used upgrade card cheap (Craig's List or e-Bay)...and some ram (you can upgrade to 2 gig of ram in your computer)...this would probably run you around $100-$150 bucks. This would still be cheaper than a new computer.

    But keep in mind...for about $250-$300...you can purchase a used 1.8ghz dual-cpu G5 desktop.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    Thanks a lot nick. I meant to say 10.6 - obviously looking for the latest OS. Where would be a good place to start looking for that used G5? I am in a good position to do that now, since I recently wiped my startup drive. I have a very minimal amount of software that I use, and I generally keep a clean house. This is why a used machine would work well for me....

    Also - I have a 2nd hard drive (storage) that I put in this machine, could pull that and swap that over to the G5?

  5. #5
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Try Accelerate Your Macintosh! for best advice about making your G4 hum. I think for example that you can put in a Sonnet or PowerLogix processor upgrade - but wait till you see the cost!

    Essentially, your situation is that 450 MHz is slow - very slow - by today's demanding standards. That software you're using 'expects' much more than your G4 can currently give. Mactracker recommends 10.4.11 as the maximum OS.

    RAM - you can go to 2 Gb under OS X.
    yeah.... it is absolutely sluggish and sucks. I have to use this software very carefully ... to say the least. Thanks I will look into this

  6. #6
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
    I meant to say 10.6 - obviously looking for the latest OS. Where would be a good place to start looking for that used G5?
    It is absolutely impossible to upgrade to 10.6 on a G4. 10.6 requires an Intel CPU.

    As far as finding a used G5. If you're located in the United States, e-Bay or Craig's List.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  7. #7
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,295
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
    Also - I have a 2nd hard drive (storage) that I put in this machine, could pull that and swap that over to the G5?
    If you're contemplating abandoning the G4, which, sadly, is probably the best option, then pull both drives out to use as external storage, even boot, devices, which you can connect to a more modern Mac with a USB-ATA adaptor.

    I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac. If so, no, you cannot put in a second drive. If however he/you are considering a G5 tower, it is eminently upgradeable. See Mactracker - get info on any Mac for information.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  8. #8
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac.
    Sorry if I was unclear. The "G5" I was referring to in my previous posts was the G5 Tower.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  9. #9
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    If you're contemplating abandoning the G4, which, sadly, is probably the best option, then pull both drives out to use as external storage, even boot, devices, which you can connect to a more modern Mac with a USB-ATA adaptor.

    I can't be sure, but I think Nick may be referring to an iMac. If so, no, you cannot put in a second drive. If however he/you are considering a G5 tower, it is eminently upgradeable. See Mactracker - get info on any Mac for information.
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear. The "G5" I was referring to in my previous posts was the G5 Tower.

    - Nick
    Yeah tower, I know... it would be tough to fit this internal hard drive into an iMac Also since the startup drive is only 20G I probably won't pull that one.... my 2nd drive is about 130G so worth yanking.

    Thanks you guys are extremely helpful. Time to kick this to the curb... she's had a good ride.

    Any other tips in my mission to upgrade??

  10. #10
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,295
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Pull the optical drive out while you're at it, also any PCI cards, memory modules etc [I hate throwing away anything serviceable - hence little or no room left in this office!]

    How 'bout a G5 dual 2.5 Ghz? They were US$2K new, and you could reasonably expect to pay perhaps 1/3 of that price nowadays. Shop around.
    [I'd love to have one, but there just isn't room. Besides, I'd have to dispose of my faithful and reliable old G3 b/w with its two hard drives and several external devices.]
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  11. #11
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    Pull the optical drive out while you're at it, also any PCI cards, memory modules etc [I hate throwing away anything serviceable - hence little or no room left in this office!]

    How 'bout a G5 dual 2.5 Ghz? They were US$2K new, and you could reasonably expect to pay perhaps 1/3 of that price nowadays. Shop around.
    [I'd love to have one, but there just isn't room. Besides, I'd have to dispose of my faithful and reliable old G3 b/w with its two hard drives and several external devices.]
    How bout one? yeah absoFinlutely. You mean 2.5 ghz per processor, as opposed to the aforementioned 1.8 ghz per processor, correct? yeah i am basically looking for as much speed/power as possible. storage i am good on for now.

    This optical is the 3rd one i've had in here, and it's about fried... it will read cdr, won't read dvd, will import, won't burn... believe it or not it is sitting on top of a freakin ZIP drive. This machine looks like my first car. but... taken care of, that dodge aries K had a good run too

  12. #12
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    hughvane's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 18, 2008
    Location
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,295
    Specs:
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
    You mean 2.5 ghz per processor
    PowerPC 970MP (G5)
    Cores - 2 per processor
    2.0, 2.3, or dual 2.5 GHz
    Max RAM - 16 GB
    HD - 160, 250, or 500 GB 7200-rpm
    [source: Mactracker]

    Where you might find one has already been mentioned. You could also look in M-F Buy/Sell/Trade. We don't use eBay or Craigslist in NZ, too much hassle with international shipping.

    I take it your software is for PPC, or will it work with Intel? I ask that in case you might consider a Mac Pro, but then the purchase cost rises significantly.

    This machine looks like my first car. But... taken care of, that dodge aries K had a good run too
    Fellow-feeling. Off-topic, but I drive a Toyota Hilux diesel - 22 years old this year, 260 000 km, and still going strong-ish! Owes me nothing.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

    I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

  13. #13
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    I take it your software is for PPC, or will it work with Intel? I ask that in case you might consider a Mac Pro, but then the purchase cost rises significantly.
    I am not sure... I know that I am using on this machine now - Adobe CS4, and I am looking to use Logic 8, but do not have the VRam required. Aside from the office software/entourage... this is all I really need when I jump to a new machine.

    What do you suggest? Where do the main differences lie between G5 and Pro?

  14. #14
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,462
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
    Any other tips in my mission to upgrade??
    Quote Originally Posted by jlawn View Post
    What do you suggest? Where do the main differences lie between G5 and Pro?
    Depends on your budget...how much are you willing to spend on a "newer" computer?

    BIG differences between a G5 & a Pro...one VERY big one is price!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  15. #15
    G4 Upgrade Need Advice

    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Depends on your budget...how much are you willing to spend on a "newer" computer?

    BIG differences between a G5 & a Pro...one VERY big one is price!

    - Nick
    I am trying not to spend more than $1000, I realize that puts me only in the used machine bracket.... what else can you tell me? I don't know if I even need a pro

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Upgrade Advice
    By sleepingsword in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM
  2. Upgrade Advice
    By radoja in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
  3. OS 8.6 upgrade - need advice
    By Rick 10-09 in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
  4. Considering upgrade, need advice
    By corysw in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
  5. Need upgrade advice
    By Dark79 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 11:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •